Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to 2nd think!

With the Holiday's here and seeing different people I'm not getting very many good things said about surgery. I'm getting gastric sleeve Tuesday. All I've heard is you'll get to small, sick, there's so many problems you will have with it. I'm 5'5 and sw is 245. I keep hearing I don't need it. What do you guys think? Will this happen? Am I making wrong choice? Please help!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using the BariatricPal App

I am 5'5" and just had surgery on Wed. I was originally scheduled for July and backed out. I regretted not doing the surgery after about a month. If you really want to lose the weight, then do it for yourself and don't let the chatter cause you to 2nd guess your decision.

When they were prepping me in the hospital for my surgery, the one nurse said to me, "You're doing so well, I'm surprised they aren't just having you do this the old fashioned way."

"Now's a good time to say something, lady!!!"

I went ahead with it, of course, and I am still glad I did. Pre-op jitters are common, especially when you have a bunch of people who don't know and aren't committed telling you different.

When I question myself, I remember that recent study saying only 1 out of 677 morbidly obese women can get to and maintain a healthy weight for at least 10 years without surgery. I'm not that special, and I've been trying to do it for 30 years now. If it was possible for me to lose the weight through meds, diet, or exercise, I would have done it already.

VSG 1/20/17 HW: 325 CW: 305

Edited by bookpusher

The truth is that no one can tell you whether you'll have any problems as a result of surgery. The great majority don't.

No one can tell you whether you're making the wrong choice. The choice is yours. The best any one can do is share their experiences and views on surgery.

I'll bet cold, hard cash that the people who say "You'll get too small" are fat. They don't want to be left alone in the dust.

You'll do well to stop talking about surgery to everyone you know. Everyone's got an opinion. All the talk is making you cuckoo and offering no clarity. Take time for yourself and see what you come up with. Start with recalling what it was that made you consider surgery in the first place.

First of all you will only get as small as you want to, that much is directly up to you, if you track your daily calories like you should then it is your choice when you decide to up your calories and go into maintenance. Second while there is a chance of complications hence the "getting sick" part they are rare. And past the initial recovery you should be just fine. I am three weeks out I feel fine and I haven't even so much as vomited once. Third you should forget about what everyone else thinks and worry about what you think. The odds are not in your favor for taking off the weight and maintaining the weight loss on your own, so if surgery is what you think is best for you then you should do it and concentrate on being positive, leave the negative chatter out of your mind. Most people don't even know enough about the different weight loss surgeries to be able to comment on them with any type of an education. Do what's best for you! Ultimately it's you that has to live with the decision. Personally I don't regret my decision one bit.

I'm 5'5 around 242, and this is why I didn't discuss my decision or pending surgery with anyone but my husband and sister. Most of what they are saying to you is nothing but their uneducated opinion. What do they mean by "sick"? It's not like being fat is exactly healthy. What is "too small"? Again their unwanted opinion and no one can decide that but you. Some people want to 160, others 130, some even smaller. That's something you need to decide as the weight comes off. I notice here that people say 1 weight then go maybe 10 lbs lower for a cushion. I'm keeping my mind open regarding my final weight.

Please don't let other people scare you out of making choices that can improve your health long term.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Please tell the negative nellies & normans to STFU and Merry Christmas! Seriously, you have made a decision that will impact your life in one of the most positive ways imaginable. They are saying these things out if jealousy.......you're doing what the larger naysayers wish they had the guts to do; you're making the smaller naysayers nervous because they know that your outsides will now match your insides and they can't compete with the double threat you're becoming. You'll be a better person after surgery and you don't need anyone who's negative in your new life....so kick them to the curb now!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

With the Holiday's here and seeing different people I'm not getting very many good things said about surgery. I'm getting gastric sleeve Tuesday. All I've heard is you'll get to small, sick, there's so many problems you will have with it. I'm 5'5 and sw is 245. I keep hearing I don't need it. What do you guys think? Will this happen? Am I making wrong choice? Please help!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using the BariatricPal App

Don't second guess yourself, it's for your health and that's what really matters. I was going through the same thing when I told people and you just have to come to a point to realize those people saying those things have a complex. In my case most the people that were against me doing it either knew someone who did it and they failed so they expect me to fail or they simply can't wrap their minds around me loosing weight and figure I'm doing it the easy way. As others said everyone who says it isn't a good idea isn't educated on the surgery itself, so their opinions aren't valid. You do this for you and your health and avoid the negativity and don't listen to it. Good luck with your surgery!

I am 5'5 and my surgery weight was close to yours...249. I definitely needed the surgery and am thrilled to be down to 222. There was a reason I didn't tell anyone other than my husband and my sister until literally 3 days before my scheduled surgery. I didn't want to hear what anyone else had to say.

Sent from my iPhone

To be honest with you I contemplated since 2014. I kept listing reasons why I shouldn't do the surgery and changed my mind several times. 2015 I noticed on of my friends who I used to walk with often had the surgery. She looked great and stated she don't regret it at all. She actually eat what she feels and drinks martinis often. She never reported any major problems. She reported having more energy and wanted to hang out more often. I on the other hand was tired often and did not want to do anything but sit in one spot and hope something changed. Since I have osteoarthritis in my knees I decided to go through with the surgery. I can not say if I made the right choice yet because I am only 4 days out. I am in no pain, I am not taking the pain meds and the only trouble I have right now is the painful lump in my chest that comes and go. I am glad I made my mind up to do it and I am hoping for a great future with my new lifestyle.

Hi! I had VSG 1 year ago (Jan 5th) and was SW of 215. Today, I weigh 131. I don't have a single regret and frankly feel fabulous. I opened Christmas presents today and happily received size 4 skinny jeans with a smile! This is a journey, and there will be cheerleaders and naysayers the whole way. For me, having normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol and a normal A1C level is the greatest gift of all...ok, and my skinny size 4 jeans!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I carefully researched back in 2014 and decided against. Once again I did all the things I know work and lost the weight. And once again I relentlessly put it back on. I only seem to know losing and gaining. I'll know if this worked a year and more after I lose the weight. Maintenance is my goal. I'm very excited for my January 17 date. I've only told my immediate family for now.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App