Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw my doc today

And it wasn't for an appointment. When I was in the hospital right after surgery, I had an incredible team of professionals looking after me. They were quick to respond, they were compassionate, and above all, they were competent. About two weeks after I was discharged, I even got a card signed by all the people who cared for me, wishing me luck and encouraging me to stop and visit sometime in the future. So I did. I had some other business close by, and used the opportunity to take some thank you notes addressed to each of them up to the floor I was on.

As I was walking along the main floor toward the elevators I needed to take, I saw my surgeon standing along the wall with another gentleman in a white coat. I figured he was a doctor of some sort too. Anyway, my doc saw me coming, and apparently recognized me, as he got a big smile on his face and said, Hey, how are you doing!?!"

"So, you recognized me with my clothes on, eh?"

That got the both of them laughing pretty hard. I stopped to speak with him, and his next question was, "How far down are you now?"

"One hundred fourteen pounds since the beginning. I'm slowing down a little, but I am about 40 lbs from my original target, 60 from my revised one." I turned to the other gentleman standing there, and said, "He did a good job slicing me up. I did ask him to make mine bigger". My doc started laughing again and said, "I remember that!" It was a conversation we had as they were wheeling me into the operating room.

The other doc said, "I wish someone would operate on me to make me taller". I am 6'1", and my doc is about 6'3". This other guy was about 5' 7" or so. So I said to him, "We could always nail your feet to the floor and kick you in the... well, you know."

That got a shocked look from both of them coupled with a second or two of complete silence, and then some uproarious laughter.

I went on to say, "The Bible says, "Which of us, by taking thought, can add a single cubit to our stature? We are born the way we are, and height doesn't matter. I was born to be tall and fat." The short doc responded, "Well I was born short and fat, and I would like to be taller!" We all engaged in one final round of polite laughter, and I parted ways reminding my doctor that I would be seeing him in a week.

I am pretty much a blue collar guy with a bit of an education. I have had surgeons and other doctors as students of mine. Doctors don't intimidate me. I think I might have shocked them a bit. It was worth it. :D

Great story! You definitely have a good sense of humor.

In my head, you are my friend and i come to your farm to eat hearty Soup, watch my little one run through the fields, pet cows and listen to your stories with mrs littlebill on the porch with beers and crudite (yup...vivid imagination and no friends)

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mschan218

In my head, you are my friend and i come to your farm to eat hearty Soup, watch my little one run through the fields, pet cows and listen to your stories with mrs littlebill on the porch with beers and crudite (yup...vivid imagination and no friends)

Agree, love me some littlebill and mrs littlebill stories!

Sent from my SM-G928V using the BariatricPal App

You know, this could happen - except for the cow part, unless we wanted to ride down the road a bit. I've mentioned several times teaching or students. All this takes place here at my wood shop, which is on our property. We've had hundreds of guests over the years who came as students, and had lunch, dinner, or both, with the family. Our kids grew up thinking it was normal to have total strangers come to visit and stay to eat.

So if you ever find yourself in or near eastern PA, don't be afraid to write and say you'd like to visit. We've even had people call who had my contact info and were just passing through, ask to stop and visit the shop for a little while. If I'm home, which is usually, we've made it happen.