Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, two fat guys walk into a Taco Bell...

This really is bariatric related. ;-) Today I received a visit from a very good friend of mine. He started out as a student. We became friends about eight years ago, and have been close friends ever since. He had sleeve surgery about four years ago. What is strange though, is that of all the people who knew I was doing this, he has been the least supportive. He practically begged me not to do it. He came to visit immediately after surgery, and fairly shocked me with his imagery of huge sandwiches, sumptuous meals, and high calorie Desserts I would never be able to eat again. I have been learning more about him and about this new lifestyle, and how the two aren't working out so well. We are still friends, and will remain so, but following is a lot of what I learned.

My friend is one of those who is failing, and will continue to fail. I am pretty sure he was coerced into the surgery by his wife, who didn't want to see him dying prematurely of all the things that were going wrong with him. As far as I can tell, he never really bought into the premise of changing his lifestyle along with the surgery. As such, he has not changed it. He had enormous success during the honeymoon period, but has since regained at least 80 lbs of the weight he lost. His blood pressure problems have returned, and if I had to guess, he is going to have blood sugar issues again, if he isn't already.

So he came to visit this morning, and we had a fairly blunt conversation. He was impressed with my progress to date, so I let him know, un no uncertain terms, that it was because I was FOLLOWING THE RULES. He does not eat Protein. When he gets hungry, he will eat a small piece of fruit, or a vending machine snack. He will often eat a Caesar salad for lunch. On his way to visit, had a coffee roll as the sole sum and substance of his Breakfast (along with coffee, which he drank to wash his roll down). When he is not hungry, he will not eat. I offered him several items, including some freshly made chicken salad, which I had for my mid morning snack. It was no go.

It was kind of sad. I discussed some of his culinary choices, and offered him some ideas (he refuses to talk to a nutritionist). Simply put, he has not changed his mindset, and is fairly surprised that I have. But that is the difference between success and failure. While he was here, we were out doing some recon at the local Cabela's. I am about to embark on making my own beef Jerky, so I wanted to peruse the offerings they had in the way of food dehydrators. They didn't really have anything that got me excited. And we really did go to Taco Bell.

We were on the way home, and I knew he had to eat something. Heck, I knew I had to eat something! So I asked him if he liked Taco Bell. I already knew the answer. It was kind of funny though. Even though he is completely off the reservation on content, he is chained to his sleeve for volume. So we go walking in, and up to the counter. I ordered a beef and bean burrito, figuring I would eat the insides and scrap most of the wrap. I also ordered an unsweetened iced tea for later on down the road. My friend said to the guy, "Can I get just one taco?"

The kid taking our order looked at us like we were some sort of weirdos, eating practically nothing. He asked a few times if that was all we wanted. The total for our tab came to $6.43. For two people. I almost burst out laughing at the expression on the kid's face. As we were sitting at our table, slowing eating our pittance, a hugely overweight woman came lumbering by. She could not contain her interest in seeing two big guys eating almost nothing, and doing it very slowly. I almost wanted to get up and tell her why. He munched down his entire crunchy taco. I ate the insides of my burrito, and had a couple of very small bites which included part of the wrap. I tossed the rest of it. My friend was impressed that I did not stuff the whole thing down my neck. And the tea? It was awful. I don't know if my taste for tea has changed, or if it was just this batch or this brand. But I won't be getting any Taco Bell tea ever again, unless I am about as desiccated as a mummy.

As for my friend, he has all the tools he needs. He just needs to change his attitude. I hope he does, now that I am in this thing right along with him. Why am I posting about this? This is for any of you out there who might be tempted to be like my friend. Most of this is in your head. You will win or lose mainly because of your mindset. Your sleeve is a tool, and one of many. If you learn to use your tools well, you will do well. If you think they will do the job for you, and you need not put any effort in, you will be left wondering why others are enjoying success while you linger in the land of the large.

Bravo for the biggest lesson of all - it's a tool and that's all. Also, I've been told that even though it's not on the menu, they'll serve you Beans and cheese in a cup. Haven't tried it yet because I have access to Taco Bueno which puts Taco Bell to shame. LOL.

@@LittleBill

the-only-disability-in-life-is-a-bad-att

​I always hope people will take the opportunity given with surgery and run with it. I'm sure its hard to see your friend decline in health again.

​Restaurants are used to serving large portions. It's funny when a waiter or waitress cant believe your full on a small amount of food. Some try to push something to drink with your meal.

Attitude is lesson I had to learn in the process of surgery. Making your health and fitness your life style is hard. It can be done. It will be day by day. Its not immediate. Its dedication and consistency working for your goals.

Thanks for posting this Bill.

Bravo for the biggest lesson of all - it's a tool and that's all. Also, I've been told that even though it's not on the menu, they'll serve you Beans and cheese in a cup. Haven't tried it yet because I have access to Taco Bueno which puts Taco Bell to shame. LOL.

We don't have a lot of choices around here, unless I want to go into the city. But, I do not habla español. I do make my own dish of Beans and cheese, and mix in some of Mrs. Renfro's hot sauce. I am working my way back up to her ghost pepper sauce. I didn't want to try that straight out of surgery. :o

@@LittleBill

the-only-disability-in-life-is-a-bad-att

​I always hope people will take the opportunity given with surgery and run with it. I'm sure its hard to see your friend decline in health again.

​Restaurants are used to serving large portions. It's funny when a waiter or waitress cant believe your full on a small amount of food. Some try to push something to drink with your meal.

Attitude is lesson I had to learn in the process of surgery. Making your health and fitness your life style is hard. It can be done. It will be day by day. Its not immediate. Its dedication and consistency working for your goals.

Thanks for posting this Bill.

I always order a glass of Water when I am out now. That keeps the server du jour happy, and if I need a sip because something gets caught, I have it handy. I do not drink it though, unless I have at least 15-20 minutes before the food is going to arrive.

My friend is as stubborn as they come, and even older than I am, so he is set in his ways. I hope he will emulate me in at least a few things. He was a student of mine, so he has a lot of respect for me.

Taco Bueno does put it to shame!!! Lol. It didn't last here in south Texas, but it had the best tortilla Soup ever. Pretty good calorie wise too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank for sharing this. Even though the whole story revolves around making a lifestyle change, I learned about not drinking while eating. Guess it's something to start work on now...just may be one of the hardest changes I'd have to do.

Edited by DCast78

This really is bariatric related. ;-) Today I received a visit from a very good friend of mine. He started out as a student. We became friends about eight years ago, and have been close friends ever since. He had sleeve surgery about four years ago. What is strange though, is that of all the people who knew I was doing this, he has been the least supportive. He practically begged me not to do it. He came to visit immediately after surgery, and fairly shocked me with his imagery of huge sandwiches, sumptuous meals, and high calorie desserts I would never be able to eat again. I have been learning more about him and about this new lifestyle, and how the two aren't working out so well. We are still friends, and will remain so, but following is a lot of what I learned.

My friend is one of those who is failing, and will continue to fail. I am pretty sure he was coerced into the surgery by his wife, who didn't want to see him dying prematurely of all the things that were going wrong with him. As far as I can tell, he never really bought into the premise of changing his lifestyle along with the surgery. As such, he has not changed it. He had enormous success during the honeymoon period, but has since regained at least 80 lbs of the weight he lost. His blood pressure problems have returned, and if I had to guess, he is going to have blood sugar issues again, if he isn't already.

So he came to visit this morning, and we had a fairly blunt conversation. He was impressed with my progress to date, so I let him know, un no uncertain terms, that it was because I was FOLLOWING THE RULES. He does not eat Protein. When he gets hungry, he will eat a small piece of fruit, or a vending machine snack. He will often eat a Caesar salad for lunch. On his way to visit, had a coffee roll as the sole sum and substance of his breakfast (along with coffee, which he drank to wash his roll down). When he is not hungry, he will not eat. I offered him several items, including some freshly made chicken salad, which I had for my mid morning snack. It was no go.

It was kind of sad. I discussed some of his culinary choices, and offered him some ideas (he refuses to talk to a nutritionist). Simply put, he has not changed his mindset, and is fairly surprised that I have. But that is the difference between success and failure. While he was here, we were out doing some recon at the local Cabela's. I am about to embark on making my own beef Jerky, so I wanted to peruse the offerings they had in the way of food dehydrators. They didn't really have anything that got me excited. And we really did go to Taco Bell.

We were on the way home, and I knew he had to eat something. Heck, I knew I had to eat something! So I asked him if he liked Taco Bell. I already knew the answer. It was kind of funny though. Even though he is completely off the reservation on content, he is chained to his sleeve for volume. So we go walking in, and up to the counter. I ordered a beef and bean burrito, figuring I would eat the insides and scrap most of the wrap. I also ordered an unsweetened iced tea for later on down the road. My friend said to the guy, "Can I get just one taco?"

The kid taking our order looked at us like we were some sort of weirdos, eating practically nothing. He asked a few times if that was all we wanted. The total for our tab came to $6.43. For two people. I almost burst out laughing at the expression on the kid's face. As we were sitting at our table, slowing eating our pittance, a hugely overweight woman came lumbering by. She could not contain her interest in seeing two big guys eating almost nothing, and doing it very slowly. I almost wanted to get up and tell her why. He munched down his entire crunchy taco. I ate the insides of my burrito, and had a couple of very small bites which included part of the wrap. I tossed the rest of it. My friend was impressed that I did not stuff the whole thing down my neck. And the tea? It was awful. I don't know if my taste for tea has changed, or if it was just this batch or this brand. But I won't be getting any Taco Bell tea ever again, unless I am about as desiccated as a mummy.

As for my friend, he has all the tools he needs. He just needs to change his attitude. I hope he does, now that I am in this thing right along with him. Why am I posting about this? This is for any of you out there who might be tempted to be like my friend. Most of this is in your head. You will win or lose mainly because of your mindset. Your sleeve is a tool, and one of many. If you learn to use your tools well, you will do well. If you think they will do the job for you, and you need not put any effort in, you will be left wondering why others are enjoying success while you linger in the land of the large.

Just a tool! I've always wondered why my tools are in the garage and my projects are too but unless I'm using those tools nothing gets done. Now I know. I always thought that I had defective tools!

Just a tool! I've always wondered why my tools are in the garage and my projects are too but unless I'm using those tools nothing gets done. Now I know. I always thought that I had defective tools!

In my profession, most are hobbyists, while some of us are professionals. Many of us who are pros make part of our living demonstrating and teaching. Some have developed tools over the years, which they use very well to accomplish various tasks. Those individuals often make a significant dollar selling those tools to hobbyists in various places they visit. These folks buy the tools, and then wonder why they don't work the same for them as they do for the pro who spent years developing them and learning the best way to use them. They seem to think that the tool comes endowed with some special force field or something to make it work. Personal application is not even considered.

It is so bad that a friend of mine made (and sells) a T shirt which says, "I am only one tool away from greatness". :P

We don't have a lot of choices around here, unless I want to go into the city. But, I do not habla español. I do make my own dish of Beans and cheese, and mix in some of Mrs. Renfro's hot sauce. I am working my way back up to her ghost pepper sauce. I didn't want to try that straight out of surgery. :o

Well, Bueno is just another chain restaurant, so no espanol necesito. But it's a higher quality of chain TexMex than The Bell.

Ask for "Pintos and Cheese" at taco bell. It comes in a little cup, it's not bad in a pinch!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I have a friend that had RNY, and failed/is failing at it.

Her failure has helped me be successful. From the very beginning she never learned nutrition and just ate the same only less. Never really got into cooking her own meals, ate out all the time.

It was the perfect blueprint for me on what not to do.

It is also one of the reasons I always laugh when people talk about RNY as the gold standard. It allows people to lose more longer without making real changes. Thats it. I've lost more weight in less time and more total than anyone I know with RNY. Malabsorption let's them be lazy (some not all) and they never make real lasting habits. Of all the people I know that have had WLS. I am the only one to make it to regular sizes and I am not even 2 years out. I expect to lose all my excess weight by the 2 year mark.

Anyway other people's failures can be your road map to success. Learn from others the bad example is sometimes the best example.

Well, Bueno is just another chain restaurant, so no espanol necesito. But it's a higher quality of chain TexMex than The Bell.

"Quality" and "TexMex" in the same statement.

Does not compute.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

"Quality" and "TexMex" in the same statement.

Does not compute."

HAD A GREAT LAUGH!

Edited by DCast78

Ahh, I miss Taco Bueno. Taco Bell is like dog food compared.

Ask for "Pintos and Cheese" at taco bell. It comes in a little cup, it's not bad in a pinch!

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I like it. Of course, I usually slather on their fire sauce. ;-) It is hard to mess up Beans and cheese though.

Around here it can be an issue no matter where I go. I was in Walmart last week and the man could not answer my question about tartar sauce. He had to go get his pal. The two of them conversed in Spanish for a while, and were able to help me find it after that.

I was a moderator in another place for a while, and various restaurants would come up frequently -from international chains to sole location, one of a kind operations. It was GUARANTEED that as soon as someone posted about their enjoyment of the food, several other people would surface to declare that the food sucked, the service was awful, etc. Then a fight would start, I or one of my fellows would arrive to dole out punishment to rule breakers, people would complain about heavy handed moderation for infractions that were clearly outlined in the rules, so on and so forth.

The only other chain around here for this kind of food was Chi Chis, and they went belly up after they poisoned a whole bunch of people. Before that, it was pretty good.