Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Closer! So many Qs!

I just had my final appointment and am now waiting for my approval from my Cigna insurance... sounds like I will have surgery in January! I have been very quiet about the process and only my husband and sister know. I really don't want to advertise that I'm having surgery but also don't want to lie about it. I'm having trouble decoding if i want to tell people about it... what are you experiences, has anyone kept this a secret. What are your experiences telling people good and bad?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Prior to the surgery only my husband and adult kids knew. After the surgery I have been very open telling everyone, I even announced it on Facebook. BUT, I am a very open person and hope to remove some of the stigma surrounding weight loss surgery.

I didn't want anyone trying to talk me out of it or scare me before surgery.

Most people keep it a secret. Thin people are never going to understand, they think we should just have some self control, quit eating so much, and get off our butts and work out.

Fat people aren't going to be supportive either. They have no desire to see you lose weight while they get fatter and fatter.

I'm getting sleeved on Tuesday. While others know I'm having surgery, many others have no idea what it's for. I told my adult child, my sister, brother, and two very close friends. I decided not to tell any others because out of the handful of people I told, I have two of them consistently trying to talk me out of it. I am not wanting to be talked out of anything, this is my decision and I want to go thru with it. I have heard "why can't you just do it yourself, I'll put you on a diet and get you working out, you're never going to eat normal food again, you're really not that big" and so on. What they fail to realize is I'm doing this for me and my health. According to my doctor, I am on the lower end of the required BMI but because of my comorbidities the insurance approved it. I have two auto immune diseases and slightly high pressure, seizures and thyroid problems. Getting this weight off will help me feel better but it's not being understood by the ones I told. I can't imagine telling everybody and the amount of negative feedback I would get at that point. I keep reminding myself I am doing this for me and it's time I work on myself.

There will be many reasons people try to talk you out of things, doesn't matter what it is. If you know this is the best decision for you then do it first and think about telling others later. Good Luck to you!

Im telling people. I really dont care who knows

I was just sleeved on DEC 5, I told everyone, even announced it on Facebook but I am a very open person and everyone who knows me knows better than to say anything negative to me

Thank you.... my main thing is I really don't want to tell the people I work with because I know there will be a lot of talking. I was going to request the time off and just take personal time off. I'm just worried what I'll say when people begin to notice. I want to just be a better version of me, not the girl who had barbaric surgery. Not sure if that makes sense...

I work in a very appearance-oriented field. I absolutely did not want to discuss this with my coworkers.

However, during my 3-month diet phase, I worked really hard and lost a lot. Everyone saw me restricting calories and working out. I only took two days off for surgery, so no one even knows I had it, nor do they suspect. After the initial large loss, I've been losing a steady 10 pounds a month, so no one is suspicious.

My family all knows, though.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I posted this in another thread, but I'll say it again here! I told EVERYONE. I'm confident with my choice, they can hate all they want-- this is what's best for me!

Actually, I've even started a blog, too: www.becomingaloserblog.wordpress.com

Like @@laceemouse said, I want to help remove a lot of the stigma around this subject.

All that being said, this is your choice. Do what YOU are comfortable with.