Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What You Wish Someone Told You Before Surgery

I was sleeved on 12/14 I had no idea it would be this sore!! I opted to stay in hospital for 2 extra days just to have that hands on care and intense pain meds. I also passed out the first time they got me up to walk to the bathroom. I am getting better but I definitely had not correctly mentally prepared myself for the recovery before I went into this.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Little LuLu it is not certain that you will get it, but you probably will and there really isn't anything to prevent it. Your stomach is making acid for the original size, which is way too much. I didn't have any heartburn whatsoever when I started this process, you will know it when it starts becoming an issue, when you are awakened by choking on acid, it's time to get regular medications. I highly suggest that you get prescription for omeprazole if you develop the problem, don't fall for the expensive otc stuff at the store. With a daily dose, I don't have negative effects. Although you should know that taking those types of meds is not good long term (Alzheimer's) but for me, I would still do it again. Good luck

The change in my taste buds has been the biggest issue for me. I am 7 weeks out tomorrow. I had no pain after surgery (morphine is amazing) and zero pain from my incisions ever. I have never vomited. My stomach gurgles and can be loud after I eat but I have no foaming or saliva issues.

BUT, I really thought I could just force myself to eat/drink whatever I needed to get it. I just can't stand to force down Protein shakes (I have tried dozens) or those chewable Vitamins I bought from my surgeon. The old me would just force it all down, I have never been a picky eater, but I feel nauseated when I try to make myself eat or drink something I just can't stand post-surgery.

The main challenge for me has been starting to eat again. Lots of things I used to love taste terrible now. That may change over time but for now it is so hard. I feel hungry but 3 or 4 bites of something fill me up. I struggle to get enough Protein and calories in. I see people eating things (and amounts) at 3 or 4 weeks that I STILL can't eat now.

I am at the 6.5 week mark and have some of the same issues. I don't like any of the Protein Shakes. chewable vitamins are gross- I couldn't stomach them as a child even. I saw my Dr and nut yesterday and was honest with her. I'm just trying to make sure protein is the source of the bites I eat. Light sargento String cheese has been a lifesaver for me. 6 grams of protein in the 1 stick and I actually like it. I have also found things that I used to like, like iced tea, that just doesn't taste as good anymore. I have always loved cooking, menu planning, etc. I love making a big delicious meal to share with friends and family...until now. I told my husband I feel like this surgery is not only helping me lose weight, but I'm also losing a little piece of "me" with it. I don't regret the surgery at all, but I am struggling with that a bit.

You are not alone- thanks for your post. It helps knowing others are having some same issues on this WLS roller coaster. Happy Holiday!!!

Surgery for me was 12/13... walk walk walk is the best thing for you! My incisions are still sore but everything else is pretty good. The worst thing... Constipation. TMI. But it is ridiculously painful!

Don't pre-buy too much. I bought all my Vitamins, Protein Water, Protein shakes ahead of time but I've had to change things up post-op. Good luck!

Life is amazing after surgery! But I wish I would have known:

1. You might have a 3 month long period after your surgery due to hormonal changes

2. The liquid/soft food diet sucks the most before surgery, because afterwards eating is the last thing on your poor stomachs mind

3. The surgery doesn't cure all of your issues with food. One year out and 80 lbs down, I still struggle with the desire to eat for comfort

Good luck! It's most definitely worth it. Just say your goodbyes to food beforehand

Everyone is different. Stay positive. Be prepared to crave food the first week or two just because you literally can't have it. Also if you can't tolerate Water or anything from liquid diet due to digestion try baby products. Baby applesauce, baby Water. (Gerber Brand) taste amazing and you will get your nutrients and stay hydrated. HYDRATION is the key! :)

Life is amazing after surgery! But I wish I would have known:

1. You might have a 3 month long period after your surgery due to hormonal changes

2. The liquid/soft food diet sucks the most before surgery, because afterwards eating is the last thing on your poor stomachs mind

3. The surgery doesn't cure all of your issues with food. One year out and 80 lbs down, I still struggle with the desire to eat for comfort

Good luck! It's most definitely worth it. Just say your goodbyes to food beforehand

A THREE MONTH PERIOD?! I have the Mirena and am seeing my gyn on 01/04 and must ask her about all these hormonal changes I've been hearing about. Before reading this thread I had no idea it wad even an issue. I am so thankful for this thread and all the "insider" information.

Edited by kmeys0130

I'm sure it doesn't happen to everyone! I'm 26 and on traditional pills. My doctor explained that there's a lot of hormones stored in the fat that we're shedding very quickly and that's the cause of the bleeding. Most of the time it was spotting, if that's comforting! Lol

I'm 6 weeks out today, sleeved 11/11. I think my experience has been fairly uneventful compared to others. I haven't had any lasting reflux, my period was a week late, but now I'm back on the pill, I can tolerate almost any food (though sausages with casing and red meat are still tough), pain only lasted a few days and I was back at work a week later. Losing 1.5-2lbs consistently per week. For me, there were a few things that were tough to transition to:

1. Round-the-clock Vitamins (at least for me it FEELS like round the clock). I'm on 2 multis, 1 B12, a D3 and 2 calciums per day, and you have to space them out otherwise you won't absorb them correctly. But that's more annoying than anything.

2. Water. This is probably the ONE thing I really struggle with. My surgeons office suggested we follow the 60/60 rule - 60gs Protein daily (no prob), and 60oz Water. I maybe get in 40oz average. Rarely 60 or more. Which leads to my next point:

3. Constipation! If you don't drink enough water, you'll get super constipated. I've never had Constipation this painful in my life. But it doesn't happen everyday.

4. Like others that have posted, your brain won't change right away. I still get cravings, still sometimes take more food than I know I can eat, and I still think about food a lot. So that parts' tough.

Same here I'm always cold and I hate the fact that my hair is shedding. I was sleeved on 12/31/15

Tracy

The cognitive dissonance you experience because of so much weight lost so fast. The mind it doesn't keep up in real time with the physical changes. It's like, it thinks the edges of your body are in the same place it was a few months ago when in fact you're down 50 or 60 pounds. It can be quite disorienting.

That said, despite all the symptoms others have listed, I also wish somebody told me how quick and easy this surgery can be. How beautiful it is, to see yourself read emerging from under 100 pounds of fat. How are more active lifestyle means more happiness. More friends. More activity. More joy. I wish somebody told me how proud of myself I was going to be. How much better I was going to feel, every day.

I wish I had known that the hunger and intense food cravings post-op were normal. I thought my sleeve had failed. I didn't know that those cravings and hunger would go away at about 4 weeks post-op.

I also did not know (wish I had) that I would immediately have to recognize the difference between true and head hunger.

It was a crash course.

@@JupiterinVirgo thank you for your post I just got home from the hospital and I am feeling pretty good. I am sore but my surgery was just 2 days ago. I really need this to work for me...I can't wait until I start seeing weight loss instead of my usual weight gain. I am feeling hopeful so I think thats a good start