Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve surgery - the reality

Hi everyone

I've pretty much decided to undergo gastric sleeve surgery, and have read a lot about the weight loss and what to expect regarding that side of things. I still have a few questions though about what post op life is like long term.

I've seen a few post (mainly on the main US page) about people vomiting after eating, and I wondered how common is this? Also I realise portion size will be dramatically reduced - how has this affected people?

Finally what advice would you give someone starting out now? I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible from people who've had the surgery, before I take my own leap.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Vomiting is cited as the most common side effect/adverse effect after sleeve surgery. But it's not a given. I have not vomited once since surgery. I did have one episode of heaving on Thanksgiving but nothing came up, and while walking down to the car after discharge had a horrible attack of hiccups that felt like I was about to start heaving, but caught my breath and it was okay. The hiccups were because I tried to grab one last swallow of Protein shake before leaving my room, took way too big of a sip and immediately started walking -- BIG MISTAKE. The Thanksgiving day episode was because I'd eaten several things I hadn't tried before at my sister's house, and then needed to visit the bathroom but didn't want an extended visit at my sis's house so we drove home (30 min) while I was having stomach distress, and so it magnified. All on me.

I have had a lot of nausea and discomfort, but it has been because of eating/drinking too much or too fast or choosing the wrong things (too much sugar or fat). It's taken me a bit to learn what my sleeve thinks is appropriate food in both selection and quantity, but when I pay attention it goes pretty good. Right now my biggest challenge is learning to slow down.

I was sleeved in May 2014 and converted to RNY in July of this year because of severe GERD. While I was sleeved, I never vomited. Not once. I've thrown up once since my conversion surgery and it was when I tried to introduce a new food (quinoa, although I ate it all the time with my sleeve). Nausea and vomiting is very individual and there's no guarantee that you will ever have either.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by what affect the reduced portion size has. For me, it has allowed me to lose weight at a relatively slow but steady pace. I'm maintaining a 133lb loss 2 years and 7 months post surgery. Also, a forced reduced portion size has allowed me to change my relationship to food and to understand what a proper portion size is. Being 2 years 7 mos post surgery, I can eat a relatively normal portion size. 3-4 oz of Protein and about 1 oz of a vegetable. I now know, and more importantly understand how food is fuel and what the appropriate amount is to fuel my body. If you had something else in mind by your question, let me know and I'll try and clarify my answer.

My advice would be to work on your head. Realize the the surgery is just a tool to help you keep weight off. You're not going to wake up skinny and you shouldn't let that discourage you. This process takes hard work. So work on your self and commit to doing the work. Finally, I would recommend choosing a surgeon and team that you trust and then following your plan. I see so many people challenging their doctor's plan because "they know what's best for their body." If you are at the point where you need surgery, somewhere along the line, your way has failed. I decided at the beginning to put my faith in my surgeon and follow what he tells me to do. You know what? It's worked. I never could have lost the weight . . . and more importantly kept it off, by straying from plan.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you have other questions.

I think more people post who may have issues (vomitting), those of us who do not have any side effects do not post as much.

I've never vomited, no complications, pretty easy peasy and I'm 62. I'm just melting away.

Like theantichick said, if I eat too fast or try for that one more bite, I may get a tad nauseus; but if you listen to your body, you really will know when to stop eating. We need to have that limit, that is how we lose the weight. I love being restricted.

As it was mentioned, this is a tool. You still need to remind yourself that your EYES are bigger than your belly. Even now 17 weeks out, I may put more on my plate thinking its a small amount yet I only eat half. It doesn't affect me at all. If I'm eating out, I just take leftovers home, and I may sit there while the rest of my family/friends finish up.

I have never vomited. I never have pushed my sleeve to it's limit. I did have some nausea in the first few weeks post op.

Hey

I was sleeved 6 weeks ago, in London , I can honestly say I've never been sick, my eyes have been bigger than my belly and a couple off times over Christmas, I have pushed my sleeve and felt very uncomfortable to the point where you definitely are reminded of the restriction. My problem is eating too fast , I've really had to learn to slowdown , I'm now eating sloppy food ., cottage pie, fish pie etc, all home made. I now manage 2 -3 table spoons, it depends some days I can eat 3 tablespoons and others just 2 tablespoons. I am learning to chew , chew and chew again, and put my teaspoon down after every bite. I'm in no hurry to eat "solid food" sloppy or semi blended suits me fine. I even blended my Christmas dinner concentrating on the Protein and veg, I'm learning to listen to my new stomach however it has been a working process and still is. Now I would actually say i love my sleeve as I'm 56 pounds down in 6 weeks, and thankful I made the decision !

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hey

I was sleeved 6 weeks ago, in London , I can honestly say I've never been sick, my eyes have been bigger than my belly and a couple off times over Christmas, I have pushed my sleeve and felt very uncomfortable to the point where you definitely are reminded of the restriction. My problem is eating too fast , I've really had to learn to slowdown , I'm now eating sloppy food ., cottage pie, fish pie etc, all home made. I now manage 2 -3 table spoons, it depends some days I can eat 3 tablespoons and others just 2 tablespoons. I am learning to chew , chew and chew again, and put my teaspoon down after every bite. I'm in no hurry to eat "solid food" sloppy or semi blended suits me fine. I even blended my Christmas dinner concentrating on the Protein and veg, I'm learning to listen to my new stomach however it has been a working process and still is. Now I would actually say i love my sleeve as I'm 56 pounds down in 6 weeks, and thankful I made the decision !

Thanks for your insight. I'm also London based. Do I mind me asking who and where did you get your surgery done. I've a surgeon in mind but also keen to have recommendations. What has the post op regime been like? Also you say you eat 2-3 tablespoons a meal is that right?

It sounds like it's worked amazingly well for you so far given your epic weight loss in such a short period.

I threw up once in 4 months post-op so it's definitely uncommon for me. As far as having small portions and how it has affected me... I still have "Big eyes" and when I sit down I think "Oh I could eat all of this, I'm so hungry!" and get a familiar fear of scarfing it all down, and then after a few ounces, I feel very satisfied. It's a relief to me.

Hey

Congratulations. I would like to also no where u had yours done also

Sent from my SM-J320FN using the BariatricPal App

I had my sleeve 19th Dec 2016 in UK. I have not vommited but once after drinking too fast I did feel the liquid into throat. I stood still took a couple of deep breaths and allowed the liquid to settle. Result it worked..won't be doing that again anytime soon. I'm only just going into my third week BUT it really is the best thing I have ever done. Yes it's hard work but stick to your dietician advice and you won't go wrong. Make 2017 your year good luck

Hey Evie

I was sleeved by Mr Koak at The Holly Private Hospital in Epping. He is the most gentle and re-assuring surgeon. He also works on the NHS out off Cambridge Hospital. I went private as I did not qualify on the NHS even though I had a BMI of 56. And sleep apnea, high blood pressure plus a fatty non alcoholic liver disease. I've been big for over 25 years and at my biggest I was 25.st 12lb I managed to get it down to 21. St on my own but then never could get past that. I feel like I have a second chance of life! I paid a lot off money however the way I was going my family may have been spending it on my funeral! That's the reality of my story! It is tricky sometimes, my life is different however I do have one! For that I'm thankful! My food intake is good and I don't feel hungry! It's the head hunger I have to work on ., I am in counselling for help with that. That's been a god send! Hope this helps! Good luck Evie !!!

Hey Evie

I was sleeved by Mr Koak at The Holly Private Hospital in Epping. He is the most gentle and re-assuring surgeon. He also works on the NHS out off Cambridge Hospital. I went private as I did not qualify on the NHS even though I had a BMI of 56. And sleep apnea, high blood pressure plus a fatty non alcoholic liver disease. I've been big for over 25 years and at my biggest I was 25.st 12lb I managed to get it down to 21. St on my own but then never could get past that. I feel like I have a second chance of life! I paid a lot off money however the way I was going my family may have been spending it on my funeral! That's the reality of my story! It is tricky sometimes, my life is different however I do have one! For that I'm thankful! My food intake is good and I don't feel hungry! It's the head hunger I have to work on ., I am in counselling for help with that. That's been a god send! Hope this helps! Good luck Evie !!!

Hi. Please may I ask you you was not able to get this on the NHS. Seems rather unfair

No I also have an umbilical hernia and have been under the Colchester general for some years ., I asked my GP several times and they just said I don't qualify . If I had type diabetes and sleep apnea I would have qualified! I think the NHS are so stretched. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I don't have diabetes to add to everything else. I'm really not sure .. I can only imagine it may also be a postcode lottery. So I saved up and paid £10,000. All but £5.00 . I'm not moaning I'm just feel lucky I was able to pay, some poor people are not as fortunate as me.

Ow gosh. I'm in Essex also and I would not be able to pay privately for it. Hopefully I will get funded but I guess you just don't no. I have high blood pressure, underactive thyroid and PCOS. I am only at the start of my journey and should get my referral sent off on Friday. Fingers crossed x

Aww good luck .. I'm sure you will be fine ., especially if your already getting referred., I didn't even get that far! I was dismissed by my GP as a no go! They referred me to PACE and put me on zenical diet pills which are not good, and didn't agree with me. I suppose they done their best.