Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling 1 week after Sleeve?

So I got approved and am scheduled to be sleeved on 12/19 (excited and nervous!). I have a question about recovery--is it too much to take a 12 hour road trip one week after surgery and be gone for a week (it was planned before I got my date)? And if so, will I be okay home alone for a week that soon after surgery? My husband and kids may go without me. I'm thinking peace and quiet! Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't know about a road trip since you may get nauseated easily with road bumps. Plus the fact that you will be on a low calorie diet and not be able to eat but only drink in small portions. Will you be able to keep up with that? It's possible but it's challenging as well. The best thing to do is consult with your surgeon.

Also I wouldn't recommend being home alone at all specially the first 4 weeks since you need some one to keep an eye on u. My friend did it and I was taking care of her, she almost fainted twice at the first 2 weeks once in the shower and once while watching tv. Never stay alone!

Best of luck

I'm almost 5 days out and I just drove for the first time today. It wasn't bad, bumps are challenging i had to hold my tummy. Not sure about 12 hours but if not driving you could take pain killers and have naps. Recline to if you can. Need to make sure you have all the liquids needed but that should be the easy part. I was out 3 hours walking around grocery shopping, looking at stuff (first time out). I was sore by the end.

Remember that you'll still be at risk for developing blood clots, so if you are driving or flying or sitting for more than an hour or two at a time, you'll need to stop for extended walking breaks every hour or so. Also, you will likely be exhausted and working very hard to get in your fluids and Protein, and basically no use to anyone other than yourself. Not saying don't go, just take a realistic look at what it probably will be like and figure out if that sounds more appealing to you than staying home or rescheduling the trip.

Another issue is that you will still be at risk for developing a leak, so when you plan your trip, research where the hospitals are nearby that have bariatric surgery units so that you know where to go for the best treatment in case that very tiny possibility becomes a reality. Better safe than sorry and all that.

You should be fine to stay home alone if that is what you decide IMO. Potentially even easier than trying to deal with family members who may still see you as a caretaker figure no matter how much you tell them that you'll be out of commission for a bit. Good luck in your decision, I can see that being a tough call!

I personally would not. Riding in Cars/sitting position for any length of time hurt me that soon after surgery. You may be craving the alone time, too!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Ruth1ess

I would wish your husband and kids a good time without you. You'll be fine alone after a week. I only needed help getting pulled up off the couch the first five days or so. But I didn't take any pain med once I left the hospital. It will be great for your recovery not to have to deal with a husband and kids. Just sit and veg out in front of the TV, have your liquids, shakes, Vitamins all there within reach. You can sleep when you want, not feel guilty about not feeding your family. Just take care of yourself. I think its a great opportunity and bet you will be healed faster along than you would should you make such a trip and have to look after the kids..

Thanks for the responses! Definitely some things to think about. I probably won't go, and will probably decide about the rest of the family based on how I feel. It seems there is a wide variety of experiences post op and maybe deciding now isn't really going to work. I will say that quiet time and doing my own thing sounds good. I may kick them out of the house often even if they don't travel far away!

I would probably play it by ear and see how you feel but keep the husband and kids going either way! A week alone after surgery sounds pretty amazing to me personally.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm two months post op and I wouldn't try a 12 hour road trip now. I absolutely could've been home alone, and would've loved it, at one week post op.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Also...I did take 12 hr road trip at 4 weeks and it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone