Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Women - losing hair?

Lost so much that I have had mine cut short.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I did the chop today. I went from shoulder length to short choppy pixie.

I quite like the new look. I have always had long hair and would usually pin it up anyway. I just hate the bald spots showing through!

Major hair loss here. I'm nearly 4 months out. Hoping it stops soon. I'm the only one who has noticed as of yet. No balding or scalp showing but when I wear it in a ponytail, I can wrap my hair tie around it almost 4 times as opposed to the 2 times it use to be. Luckily I started out with very thick hair. My hair is waist length and I don't want to cut it. I just need it to stop coming out by the handfuls so that I don't have to.

Edited by gustavio

Same as Gustavio; I have thick hair down past my shoulder and it's coming out in handfuls. I'm four months post op. I am trying not to freak out, but I'm considering getting it cut to chin length because between the clumps in the brush and the drain and in my fingers if I run my hand through my hair (nervous habit) it's getting a little demoralizing. Not noticing any bald spots yet.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by emardee

I didn't start losing mine until I was four months out. This is one thing that I can't control so trying not to worry about it. I am taking Nourkin supplements, using Regaine (Rogaine in the USA), and a Hairmax Lasercomb plus extra Biotin and silica. The dermatologist says that I can expect to continue to lose through this hair cycle until I am 9 months out.

I'm still such a noob to this site that I can't figure out how to post a link to another thread. :-(. But about Hair loss, I wrote a thread called:

Post-Surgery hair Loss Explained

If you search you can probably find it. Hair loss after major surgery is normal, temporary, and your dermatologist calls it "telogen effluvium." You don't need Biotin, just keep your Protein up and it will grow back. :-)

And remember: the fact that it is falling out in handfuls a few months after surgery means that new hair is growing in the follicle. New hair is what causes the old hair to come out. The day the large chunk of your hair went into "rest" was the day of your surgery -- no biotin now will affect what happened that day. I've been through post-surgery (and major illness) hair loss three times so far now and it has always grown back just fine.

Edited by BettyG

I'm still such a noob to this site that I can't figure out how to post a link to another thread. :-(. But about hair loss, I wrote a thread called:

Post-Surgery Hair loss Explained

If you search you can probably find it. hair loss after major surgery is normal, temporary, and your dermatologist calls it "telogen effluvium." You don't need Biotin, just keep your Protein up and it will grow back. :-)

And remember: the fact that it is falling out in handfuls a few months after surgery means that new hair is growing in the follicle. New hair is what causes the old hair to come out. The day the large chunk of your hair went into "rest" was the day of your surgery -- no Biotin now will affect what happened that day. I've been through post-surgery (and major illness) hair loss three times so far now and it has always grown back just fine.

Unfortunately I couldn't take in any Protein at all for three months and now am still battling to hit the protein markers.

I had two punch biopsies and I appear to have completely dead or missing follicles in some areas but the Dermatologist is hopeful for regrowth in areas where follicles still exist.

She prescribed the minoxidil and The Belgravia Hair clinic uses the lasercomb in combination with it.

The other supplements may or may not help but my nutritionist said a placebo effect might be positive.

I have alot of malnutritional deficiencies so I am prepared for the baldness.

The haircut did help though because I now don't have handfuls coming out in my hands due to the length. Several of my real life bariatric friends recommended the cut and they were right.

I'm still such a noob to this site that I can't figure out how to post a link to another thread. :-(. But about hair loss, I wrote a thread called:

If you search you can probably find it. hair loss after major surgery is normal, temporary, and your dermatologist calls it "telogen effluvium." You don't need Biotin, just keep your Protein up and it will grow back. :-)

And remember: the fact that it is falling out in handfuls a few months after surgery means that new hair is growing in the follicle. New hair is what causes the old hair to come out. The day the large chunk of your hair went into "rest" was the day of your surgery -- no Biotin now will affect what happened that day. I've been through post-surgery (and major illness) hair loss three times so far now and it has always grown back just fine.

Unfortunately I couldn't take in any Protein at all for three months and now am still battling to hit the protein markers.

I had two punch biopsies and I appear to have completely dead or missing follicles in some areas but the Dermatologist is hopeful for regrowth in areas where follicles still exist.

She prescribed the minoxidil and The Belgravia Hair clinic uses the lasercomb in combination with it.

The other supplements may or may not help but my nutritionist said a placebo effect might be positive.

The haircut did help though because I now don't have handfuls coming out in my hands due to the length. Several of my real life bariatric friends recommended the cut and they were right.

Im sorry to hear about your difficulties. It does sound like have other causes for hair loss beyond just the surgery. I still believe that for most who just get some hair falling out a few months after surgery, the cause is usually telogen effluvium and that hair will return and that there is no cause for great alarm if they understand what is happening...

Im sorry to hear about your difficulties. It does sound like have other causes for hair loss beyond just the surgery. I still believe that for most who just get some hair falling out a few months after surgery, the cause is usually telogen effluvium and that hair will return and that there is no cause for great alarm if they understand what is happening...

Clearly, the post op complications, nutritional deficiencies etc certainly contributed to the hair loss, not simply the trauma of surgery.

I definitely wasn't going bald prior to surgery though.

I'm 7 months and 2wks out from having my surgery. I started losing my hair about a month ago and it's really getting bad. I'm taking Biotin and using Nixon on my scalp. I haven't seen any new growth. I'm getting worried. Can anyone tell me a product that works for the regrowth. I heard Bosley was good. Any suggestions.

I'm 7 months and 2wks out from having my surgery. I started losing my hair about a month ago and it's really getting bad. I'm taking Biotin and using Nixon on my scalp. I haven't seen any new growth. I'm getting worried. Can anyone tell me a product that works for the regrowth. I heard Bosley was good. Any suggestions.

It does take a while to grow back in. You may not see the regrowth for a few months once you are done *shedding*. I'm not an expert but that's what my stylist said. She said to not put a lot into your hair, just use nioxin, massage your scalp and chill. If it gets really bad, talk to your surgeon or pcp and maybe you are Vitamin deficient or something like that.

When you have hair on your head, it takes 3-4 months before you will be able to notice new growth. The first thing you'll notice is a change in body in your hair. That's because the new growth is pushing the current hair up away from the scalp, giving it some lift. That will stop when the new hairs are long enough to lay down.

I am unsure of taking Biotin on top of Nourkin and all my other supplements. There is research to say that too much Biotin can actually cause hair loss. Would love to know for sure. Not seeing the dermatologist again until March so will have to wait.