Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes prevented me from surgery so far

Well after all those medical clearances I did my blood work last. Turns out my A1c is 9.8!! My doctor said he won't do surgery unless it's 8 or less. I am so sad and don't know how long it will take for my sugar to go down..the whole point of me doing this was to help me with my Pcos and diabetes. I will try my best to do so but I am feeling like crap right now ????

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Try eating Keto, you could drop your A1C down pretty fast.

You won't heal if your blood sugar is out of control which is why they don't want to do surgery on you with uncontrolled diabetes.

Did they talk to you about sleeve versus RNY? My surgeon said the RNY cured diabetes. I'm not diabetic so I chose sleeve.

Just wondering what your dr said about it

HW - 283

SW- 238

CW- ?

Try eating Keto, you could drop your A1C down pretty fast.

You won't heal if your blood sugar is out of control which is why they don't want to do surgery on you with uncontrolled diabetes.

Oh I see..is that keto a diet ?

chicken Lady" data-cite="Chicken Lady" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1481073510">

Did they talk to you about sleeve versus RNY? My surgeon said the RNY cured diabetes. I'm not diabetic so I chose sleeve.

Just wondering what your dr said about it

HW - 283

SW- 238

CW- ?

My doc said he recommends the sleeve since ryn in his opinion is too rough.. I also prefer to go for the sleeve as well

I am a type-1 diabetic on an insulin pump. My surgery was postponed twice, the first time because the surgeon rescheduled and the second because of my A1C (or vice versa, either way, it was postponed twice). My A1C was 9.something and the surgeon and endocrinologist wouldn't do surgery until it went down also. I was devastated. I had been on a seven months long diet (was supposed to be six, but the endocrinology department extended it a month). I ended up getting it to 8.something, but it was like 8.9, so still almost in the 9s. My endocrinologist agreed to go ahead and give his consent with much pleading and crying on my end. I also chose the sleeve as my surgeon had actually pushed for that over RNY. I am type-1 and will NEVER be cured with any current procedures, only type-2's can be reversed with surgery. Since the surgery, I have lost about 70 pounds. I started the pre-op diet at 251 and am now 178. It will happen for you. I know how you feel right now. I spent plenty of nights balling my eyes out thinking it was hopeless. I really buckled down the last 2 months of the diet and followed the dieticians recommended diet plan to a T. I asked the docs to do a A1C once a month after surgery was postponed, instead of the normal every 3 so that I could be approved sooner. It worked. I wish you all the best and hope all goes well!

Ps...my diabetes is under much better control now, yet still not perfect. I'm a year out tomorrow and my last A1C was only 8.something(still trying to figure out insulin ratios is a pain for the docs)....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

My a1c was 10.9 in march started the insulin pump and brought it down to 8 in 3 months then Sept it was 7.8 so I was able to have the surgery a month ago. Sleeve , try not to be devastated as you want to be healthy and your body ready for surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My a1c was 13.5 in July 2015. By the time I had the sleeve surgery this April it was 6.8 with meds (no insulin).now it is hovering between 5.7 and 6 with no meds. Not cured but close.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Well after all those medical clearances I did my blood work last. Turns out my A1c is 9.8!! My doctor said he won't do surgery unless it's 8 or less. I am so sad and don't know how long it will take for my sugar to go down..the whole point of me doing this was to help me with my Pcos and diabetes. I will try my best to do so but I am feeling like crap right now ????

You can do it!!! I went through this is may. Just got it down to 7.0 in october. Surgery Date is January 3rd. A lot of Water. No soda no juice no milk. I changed to almost milk, less sugar and calories and more Calcium. Also no bread limit your bread, Cereal, rice , tortillas. The bread was the hardest specially pan dulce, damn that sweet tooth. But you can do it!!! Keep at it and don't lose faith!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

You can do it!!! I went through this is may. Just got it down to 7.0 in october. Surgery Date is January 3rd. A lot of Water. No soda no juice no milk. I changed to almost milk, less sugar and calories and more Calcium. Also no bread limit your bread, Cereal, rice , tortillas. The bread was the hardest specially pan dulce, damn that sweet tooth. But you can do it!!! Keep at it and don't lose faith!!!

I am trying! It's so hard I love soda...and my pan con cafe! Lol. Being Spanish rice is in almost every meal. It is hard but if I can do this then I know I can go through with the surgery and the "mental hunger" part. Congrats! I hope u can get it down that low as well.

I am trying! It's so hard I love soda...and my pan con cafe! Lol. Being Spanish rice is in almost every meal. It is hard but if I can do this then I know I can go through with the surgery and the "mental hunger" part. Congrats! I hope u can get it down that low as well.

You drinking regular soda?

I was..sprite preferably. But I have not had none in 2weeks.

Yeah. If you kick it completely you're gonna drop your sugar big time. Cause its liquid it fucks us up faster and worse. Also arroz and tortillas no no. bread, only wheat and minimize. Try like veggies with teriyaki chicken. Caldo de pollo, chicken with a little rice but more veggies. Try that for 3 months with a little walking. I can't walk too much but unos 10, 15 min walk couple times a week. You'll be under 7.0 . Just keep at it. My girl makes tamales, I just be praying to go to keep me strong lol

Yeah. If you kick it completely you're gonna drop your sugar big time. Cause its liquid it fucks us up faster and worse. Also arroz and tortillas no no. bread, only wheat and minimize. Try like veggies with teriyaki chicken. Caldo de pollo, chicken with a little rice but more veggies. Try that for 3 months with a little walking. I can't walk too much but unos 10, 15 min walk couple times a week. You'll be under 7.0 . Just keep at it. My girl makes tamales, I just be praying to go to keep me strong lol

Lmao tamales are so good..but thanks for the advice..sucks I have to wait a couple more months but I can do it! Il keep strong and have patience ☺