Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I tell or say nothing.

I didn't tell anyone except my husband. People at work kept asking why I was walking funny but that's it so far. My mom saw me cringe in pain a couple times but I said my back was bothering me. The only thing I wasnt prepared for about not telling anyone was I do feel alone in this a lot of the time. Especially since I did mine 2 days before thanksgiving so I missed our family dinner. But I am thankful for this site and all of you and your support. ❤️

VSG date: 11/22/16

HW: 225. SW:222. CW: 209

Edited by augustgirl

Waitress and waiters. I tell them all cause they are so sad when I order food but only take a few bites. They are all very supportive. You don't need anyone's permission to do this. It's your choice. They will either accept it or not. If they can't get behind you getting healthy pfft on them!! This is an amazing journey. Day 22 and I look great and feel good. I walked by a mirror a few minutes ago and just smiled! Love your self and others will follow or fall away.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by ellie2016

I told my very close coworkers (because I need their support the last two weeks of school I'm on the liquid diet now) and I told my principal because I trust her. They are all excited for me and proud that I am following through with a healthier lifestyle. I had one coworker who didn't seem as happy for me but she is still supportive and wants 1st dibs on my clothes when I can no longer fit them. Tell who you want when you are ready and when you want to. I haven't told all of my family just the ones who will be here helping me post Op. I just know I am going to be a big baby, my little cousin is in nursing school and Thank God because if I have the blood thinner shots she is gonna have to be the one to give them to me! I haven't told anyone who I don't feel can hold Water. I decided to wait until school intercession to have the surgery so that hopefully I can return to work with everyone as normal and just sip Protein drinks like now for a week or two and then go back to eating small portions.

Now when the weight starts dropping.....I will credit it to changing how I eat and exercising...that's what they have seen and that is all they need to know!

I'm not telling my coworkers. It's a gossip factory there and the whole office would know in minutes. Are you from Boston area? Me too!

My friends and family know, and I stay at home with my toddler son, so I don't have coworkers to contend with. My husband hasn't told anyone in his family-- most of them live abroad and my husband keeps everything in his life under wraps until it's a sure thing, anyway.

I know it's going to get annoying with my neighbors and my son's preschooler friends' moms, 90% of whom are dressed in expensive yoga pants and sports bras with tiny, designer off-shoulder gym tees asking how I've lost weight -- (these are people who have never given me the time of day).

But I must say, I actually once asked a woman about her weight loss and I honestly wasn't trying to "out" her for surgery or anything. I Was just so stunned by her weight loss, and so freaking desperate for my own. It was my dogs'veterinary technician. I've gone to this vet for ten years, and this tech worked there the whole time. I love this vet clinic and their staff and I've always been very friendly with them all.

Anyway, about two and a half years ago, I had recently had my baby and I stopped into the vet clinic to pick up a prescription. I had just gotten out if an intense personal training session at the gym and I was hot sweaty and embarrassed to be seen in public, but you gotta do what you gotta do for an old dog.

Anyway, I was floored when I saw the vet tech. She was probably down 50 pounds from the last time I saw her. I mean here I was, really struggling at my weight and getting nowhere and here was someone standing before me who quite obviously was getting it right! I didn't for a second think about what she may have done to lose weight, I just blurted out "Omg, you look amazing. what are you doing?" I sincerely wanted to know because I wanted to do it, too! I wasn't fishing around, I hadn't even had time to process what she may have done. It honestly just came out of me like an uncontrollable sneeze.

She said she was "just eating right and exercising." I knew immediately that I shouldn't have asked. She has continued to lose at least another 50+ and is now quite thin (maybe a size 4 or 6).

I didn't tell anyone but my husband before surgery and told my two close friends after. Don't care what anyone else thinks and don't want to deal with their opinions or judgement. Like I always tell my kids, your body your rules. I am a private but outgoing person and I might some tell some people when they notice I've lost weight. Others will be told "strict diet and exercise" which is the truth.

I'm 7 months out and have only told people I felt I wanted to know. It's not anyone's business and honestly, some people just cannot be happy for you because they are miserable. I didn't tell anyone at work either.

I told everyone I had the surgery because I can't keep food out of my mouth like they can. I do not care what they think. If you are concerned everyone here said it right.. it's your business not theirs.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App