Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips to minimize saggy skin before/after WLS

It just all depends on how stretched out the area is. If it's been overly stretched due to age and long term obesity, there's no amount of lotions, potions, wraps, Vitamins or strength training that will bring it back or even minimize it.

I'm a perfect example. I'm in my late 40's, yo yo dieted my self to 235, a lot of which I carried in my stomach. I've done well with strength training to minimize the areas I could (arms), but the only way my stomach is ever going back is with surgery. My upper stomach is relatively flat from exercise, but the skin from my pannus area is pretty bad. I have a had a surgical consultation to have it removed, but still on the fence about it. I still look okay in clothes ;) Anyway, see pic below of my arms and my stomach.

post-212472-0-52458500-1480892375_thumb.jpg

@@Babbs, I have two comments. First, that granite countertop looks like the same stuff we just put in our kitchen. Second, I hope my belly looks that small by the time I am done! I don't want to sound like a lecherous old man, but you are looking very good.

It just all depends on how stretched out the area is. If it's been overly stretched due to age and long term obesity, there's no amount of lotions, potions, wraps, Vitamins or strength training that will bring it back or even minimize it.

I'm a perfect example. I'm in my late 40's, yo yo dieted my self to 235, a lot of which I carried in my stomach. I've done well with strength training to minimize the areas I could (arms), but the only way my stomach is ever going back is with surgery. My upper stomach is relatively flat from exercise, but the skin from my pannus area is pretty bad. I have a had a surgical consultation to have it removed, but still on the fence about it. I still look okay in clothes ;) Anyway, see pic below of my arms and my stomach.

You look great! Any exercise tips, routines or suggestions? I carry a lot of my weight in my belly as well. I plan on resistance training with a band and I have a treadmill. Have you worked out using one of those big exercise balls? Looks like it might be easy on the back and help strengthen the core.

Sent from my Y538 using the BariatricPal App

@@Babbs, I have two comments. First, that granite countertop looks like the same stuff we just put in our kitchen. Second, I hope my belly looks that small by the time I am done! I don't want to sound like a lecherous old man, but you are looking very good.

I agree with Little Bill abs I'm not a man is lecherous! I cab definitely live with that amount of skin!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I have RA and have been on my 3:1 low carb diet since 10/25. I have no restrictions on fat and use cream in my morning tea and have 1/4 of an avocado try to use 1 tea spoon of olive oil sometime during the day.

I have been PAIN FREE since 11/3 and completely off narcotic pain medications for the first time since 2006 for the past 5 days. I know that this is due to the change in my diet.

I have lost over 100 pounds 7 times in the past 20 years and have had very little sagging skin. Some of this is genetics but I think that drinking at least 64 ounces of plain Water, using a lotion with added Vitamin C and E and taking quality oral Vitamin C, E, lysine and Biotin helps and certainly can't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

But I'm confused on how your replies to my original post is relevant? I looking for people who wanted to talk about how to minimize saggy skin for after surgery. Does your original about butter and milk help with that?

I didn't say anything about drinking milk, as I haven't for more than 5 years. There's too much sugar (lactose) in milk for me to lose weight. Even cheese will stall my weight loss in very small amounts, so I'm avoiding that as I lose weight.

Butter is a whole other story, but I can't say for sure if it's the saturated fat in my butter, bacon or steak that helps keeps me from having excess skin.

I love my granite! We did our kitchen, and had leftover from the slab so we had them fab the rest for the bathroom :) And Thanks for the kind words! I feel amazing!

You look great! Any exercise tips, routines or suggestions? I carry a lot of my weight in my belly as well. I plan on resistance training with a band and I have a treadmill. Have you worked out using one of those big exercise balls? Looks like it might be easy on the back and help strengthen the core.

Yes, you've got the right idea. I've been working out for two years straight at this point (wow, right? I've NEVER stuck to it this long!) and I do a combination of cardio (running, Stair Climber) and weights/resistance training. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio, and then switch off days working either legs, arms or abs. I utilize all the things you mentioned: Kettle bells, exercise ball, straps, and weight machines. I will also use my own body for resistance with planks, pull ups, burpees and squats.

I honestly don't kill myself. I will push myself, but I also don't want to hurt myself and not be able to do any exercise at all. Right now in maintenence I work our 3 days a week, and do walking the days I don't go to the gym. The key is mixing things up to create muscle confusion, and raising and lowering your heart rate through out your work outs. Make sure you're doing what you like so you will stick to it! I get bored easily, that's why I do many different things to keep me motivated ;)

Yes, you've got the right idea. I've been working out for two years straight at this point (wow, right? I've NEVER stuck to it this long!) and I do a combination of cardio (running, Stair Climber) and weights/resistance training. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio, and then switch off days working either legs, arms or abs. I utilize all the things you mentioned: Kettle bells, exercise ball, straps, and weight machines. I will also use my own body for resistance with planks, pull ups, burpees and squats.

I honestly don't kill myself. I will push myself, but I also don't want to hurt myself and not be able to do any exercise at all. Right now in maintenence I work our 3 days a week, and do walking the days I don't go to the gym. The key is mixing things up to create muscle confusion, and raising and lowering your heart rate through out your work outs. Make sure you're doing what you like so you will stick to it! I get bored easily, that's why I do many different things to keep me motivated ;)

Did you start exercising before surgery too? Or strictly post- surgery?

My surgeon told me that after every time i shower to rub lots of good quality moisturizer all over my belly and that will help to shrink things back to a certain extent, along with some form of exercise

My surgeon told me that after every time i shower to rub lots of good quality moisturizer all over my belly and that will help to shrink things back to a certain extent, along with some form of exercise

Was your surgeon specific in the types of exercise for the belly? Do sit ups/crunches really work?

Thanks for the post , I really needed this

I'm glad! I kept seeing a lot of negative posts about how it will never go back and I refuse to believe in nevers. That's why I decided to make a positive post. We all need positive thinking. This is a hard choice we are making, to have this surgery. Why make it harder on us by being negative?

Here is some more indignation, I find in an online article on Pinterest.

Main Menu

How to Prevent Saggy Skin After Vertical Sleeve Surgery

By Tatyana Ivanov

A vertical sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical weight loss procedure recommended for treating obesity. During the procedure, a large portion of the patient’s stomach is removed, leaving a small pouch behind. This pouch fills more quickly than the larger stomach, allowing the patient to feel full after eating less food. Due to the typically large amount of weight loss experienced, loose excess skin troubles many post-op patients. While genetics largely determines the amount of loose skin you experience, taking a few easy steps before your surgery can prevent additional sagging.

Things You'll Need

Neoprene weight loss wraps

Skin firming lotion

Weights

Water

Vitamin A supplements

Antioxidant supplements

Exercise

March in place, stretch your arms and rotate them in small circles or swing them back and forth for 10 to 15 minutes. This will warm up your body for additional exercise.

Walk on a treadmill or the street for 10 minutes daily, four days a week. Wearing a neoprene warming wrap while walking will help boost toning.

Stretch and work out trouble areas for saggy skin, such as the arms, thighs, stomach and butt. Gently lift legs and arms from a seated position. Wear the neoprene wrap on these areas to increase firming.

Lift small weights, generally two to three pounds, to increase toning in your arms. While standing with arms dangling at your sides, lift the weights out and up until they are at the same level as your shoulders.

Nutrition

Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of Water daily. Drinking enough water helps hydrate skin and improve elasticity.

Eat foods that are rich in Vitamin A, such as low-fat milk and yogurts. Vitamin A helps regenerate healthy skin cells to replace damaged ones.

Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants, such as berries, plums and pomegranate. Antioxidants help with healthy skin and are beneficial for the heart and metabolism.

Avoid foods with large quantities of refined sugar and carbohydrates, as well as over-processed foods with empty calories.

Other Preventive Methods

Apply a skin firming or tightening moisturizer all over your body after showering, paying special attention to your trouble areas.

Avoid smoking and smoky environments.

Wear sunscreen of SPF 40 or higher when you are going to be exposed to sunlight for extended periods of time.

Thank you for this post. I, too, have been concerned that there has been very little positive discussion on pre and post operative skin care.

I am also dry brushing. In addition, I'm using a glycolic/salycilic acid based lotion that I put on my arms, chest, stomach, upper legs and rear. Though I have not already, I plan to use glycolic acid peels on these areas to stimulate new skin growth. I also take collagen hydrosolate (sp?) with my Protein shakes in the morning.

My sister is a Rodan and Fields rep and I've bought the Amp MD roller that I use on my belly. I would love to have some amazing before and afters for her to use!!!

Sure, my skin may sag after surgery, but I will never wonder if I could have or should have done more to help myself before surgery.