Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having doubts before I'm even started

OK guys, I'm beginning to have doubts I can do this. I'm on day 2 of pre-op liquid diet. I am so bored already with my limited choices and starving to boot. I'm scared to death that I won't be able to keep this up after surgery. Please let me know I won't always be hungry.

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Trust me you got this. The worst part for both my husband and I was the pre-op liquid diet. I felt exactly the same as you. Thinking what the heck are we doing. But so so worth it.

Once you actually have the surgery you will be very pleasantly surprised how little you want or can eat and feel satisfied. Not hungry and to loose weight is a great feeling.

Don't give up and drink lots of Water it really does help.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using the BariatricPal App

I was starving on my pre op diet. . After surgery you will be on a liquid diet again, but you will get filled up on it quickly. Once you move on to full liquids you will have even more choices to eat. I found eating small meals/snacks several times a day works for me since the portion size is very small.

Ditto to all of this. I threw tantrums the two weeks pre op whenever my boyfriend would keep me from cheating but it's been so much easier post surgery. The only thing that still sucks is lack of options and being bored, but that's only during Clear Liquids and that first week breezes by as you focus on walking, napping, breathing exercises, and figuring out your tummy signals (when to drink, how much can you swallow at once, when to take a break from drinking, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by jwinters19

I think the preop liquid diet was the worst part. Those two weeks I was so weak I thought I was going to pass out on a daily basis. There were times when I didn't have the physical strength to walk across the room. At over 300 pounds, simply drinking three Protein shakes a day and cutting my caloric intake down the 600 cal was absolutely irresponsible in my opinion but required by my surgeons office. Every three or four days I had to eat a salad with chicken on it even though it was against the rules. It was not about head hunger, it was about physically staying upright. And yeah, you feel like **** during that time. The first four days were headaches for me. Then after that I just kept getting weaker. Then I would eat a salad with chicken on it and I would feel much better for a couple of days. And I just went on like that until surgery. I made a point to stick to liquids those last couple of days before surgery no matter what. This is supposedly to shrink the liver so that it is not in the way of the surgeon. However I have read that the truth is that the shrinkage is extremely small-almost irrelevantly small- but you know Western medicine: once they decide on a policy they do not update it despite evidence that disproves it for at least 30 years.

One more thing: postop it's much easier. And no matter how miserable you are during the preop phase remember that it's only two weeks of your life. And then exchange, you get the opportunity for a completely new life experience with a healthier slimmer body that allows you to live the way that you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by JupiterinVirgo