Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Good Morning! I just had an eye surgery on Tuesday and threw up immediately after waking. They gave me Zofran and Pepcid in my IV before surgery but obviously this didn't help. I've been lurking on the site for months and have read some of your posts about a pill to take and a patch for behind the ear. I just can't remember what was the best to combat the nausea. I really don't want to throw up after this surgery. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

hi there! i too suffer from bad post procedural nausea. it never fails that i go under and come back to vomit. I had my sleeve done 2 days ago and have been suffering from nausea since the procedure. i have the scopolamine patch and basically don't think it helped me in anyway. good luck!!!

hi there! i too suffer from bad post procedural nausea. it never fails that i go under and come back to vomit. I had my sleeve done 2 days ago and have been suffering from nausea since the procedure. i have the scopolamine patch and basically don't think it helped me in anyway. good luck!!!

You have had 2 years of nausea? What does your surgeon say? Is it when you eat or all the time?

Good Morning! I just had an eye surgery on Tuesday and threw up immediately after waking. They gave me Zofran and Pepcid in my IV before surgery but obviously this didn't help. I've been lurking on the site for months and have read some of your posts about a pill to take and a patch for behind the ear. I just can't remember what was the best to combat the nausea. I really don't want to throw up after this surgery. Thanks!

I had severe nausea after surgery 15 years ago. They tried everything and nothing helped until they put the patch behind my ear.

For my sleeve surgery they put the patch on before taking me to the OR. I had minor nausea when I woke up but they gave me a shot of something in my IV that stopped it. I kept the patch on for several days though.

I don't tell you the following to freak you out, but to reassure that, even if you can't control the nausea the way you want to, it won't do you lasting damage, and it will pass!

So here's what I learned: You may not be able to help it, even with good drugs. I was sleeved on the 16th of last month, and I had epic levels of nausea. (Anesthesia always does it to me.) As I was lying in recovery, they had to hit me three times with anti-nausea meds, AND they put a little alcohol swab under my oxygen thingie next to my nose in case the scent helped me (it does help some people. Not sure if it had much impact on me, though.) Overnight in the hospital, they gave me the anti-nausea stuff as frequently as possible, but it was still rough. I managed to keep some broth down. I had great hopes for the banana popsicle, but two licks into that my stomach went, "Oh, you really don't want to do that," so I stopped and stuck with the broth. A couple of hours later, I ate TWO ice chips, and immediately threw up. And of course, there's not much in your stomach at that point except blood and mucus, so that's what I threw up. Fortunately, I was on enough pain meds that it didn't hurt, but throwing up is never fun. I almost grabbed that bucket in time, but still got a lot on me, to the point that they had to change my gown. (I looked like a CSI crime scene, lol.) Later I tried to take a GasX strip to help with the shoulder pain and incessant belching, and it hadn't even dissolved on my tongue before I threw up again. Tried the next morning to brush my teeth, and threw up. For real, if it's going to happen, it will happen. It didn't damage me, or even hurt that much. It's just gross.

However, I think maybe I paid my "nausea dues" at the hospital. I haven't been sick at all at home, and if I was going to be throwing up a lot, I'm glad it happened at the hospital. Let them give you what they need to, and if your doc gives you some stuff for before surgery, great! But if you are as sensitive to the anesthesia as I, all I can say is, "Brace yourself. You'll get through it." ;-)

I had a few rounds of really intense nausea when coming off the anaesthetic. I only vomited once, about 4 hours after being woke up and it was bloody and horrible. Luckily I was still wasted on morphine and fentanyl and didn't care too much.

For the next 24 hours or so, my mouth would suddenly Water intensely and I would need to sit down and take as deep of breaths as I could manage, and it passed after a minute or two.

I was sleeved on Friday morning and have had nausea and vomiting since then, they say I might be able to go back to nexium tomorrow so hopefully that will improve the situation. I'm a bit over whelmed at the moment but I'll get there.

I asked the anesthesiologist for a scopolamine patch. It lasts a few days.

I wake every single morning with nausea, even 5 weeks post-up. It last four several hours, any recommendations?

I am also 5 weeks post-op and concerned about this as well. I have some nausea once or twice a day. Is this normal? When does it stop?

I was sleeved on 12/14 and gas with nausea has been tough. I have the ear patch and I'm also wearing pressure point bracelets that I picked up on our last cruise. They help a lot and can be found in the drug store. The gas strips made me gag so my husband went to the drug store and got drops to eliminate the gas. It's all helping a lot. Gold standard Protein powder today was awesome too. 1st time I've had a glimpse at feeling better.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App