Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stall-Frequency, strategy, duration-please share

Hi:

I would like to start a thread on experiences with stalls. I understand that stalls happen and the weight is lost in a non-linear manner and all that. I am not freaked out about the stalls even though not having thHi:

I would like to start a thread on experiences with stalls. I understand that stalls happen and the weight is lost in a non-linear manner and all that. I am not freaked out about the stalls even though not having the positive feedback does deflate your balloon a little bit.

However I am interested in listening from long timers, especially those who had had the surgery 3 to 6 months ago or even a year ago. Following are my questions:

1) In a longer term, what are approximate timings when stalls typically happen. e.g. everyone says at 3rd week, but what about 3 months or 4 months etc? What have your stall history been?

2) If you had surgery 3 months or 6 months or 9 months or one year ago, how many stalls did you experience approximately?

3) How long your individual stalls last (try and remember how long it took to get the needle moving)?
4) Were there any special considerations or change to your routine that you undertook to break it? e.g. eat more Protein, eliminate carbs or drink Water or double the exercise? What particularly helped you break the stall?

5) Has anyone come across any research or videos especially from medical or research resources? Please share.

Please elaborate. I am interested in experiences. I am not freaked out or anything, just seeking detailed information and stories from people who are going through the journey for a longer while than a few weeks.

Detailed responses are much appreciated. Have a nice holiday season.

e positive feedback does deflate your balloon a little bit.

However I am interested in listening from long timers, especially those who had had the surgery 3 to 6 months ago or even a year ago. Following are my questions:

1) In a longer term, what are approximate timings when stalls typically happen. e.g. everyone says at 3rd week, but what about 3 months or 4 months etc? What have your stall history been?

2) If you had surgery 3 months or 6 months or 9 months or one year ago, how many stalls did you experience approximately?

3) How long your individual stalls last (try and remember how long it took to get the needle moving)?
4) Were there any special considerations or change to your routine that you undertook to break it? e.g. eat more protein, eliminate carbs or drink water or double the exercise? What particularly helped you break the stall?

5) Has anyone come across any research or videos especially from medical or research resources? Please share.

Please elaborate. I am interested in experiences. I am not freaked out or anything, just seeking detailed information and stories from people who are going through the journey for a longer while than a few weeks.

Detailed responses are much appreciated. Have a nice holiday season.

I am 5 mths out and had first first stall start after week 2. It lasted for 2 weeks. No weightloss. And, honestly I can't detail the rest of my stalls because I don't write anything down. They have become a part of my journey and I don't pay much attention to them because each time, the weightloss begins again. Just doesn't suit me to let frustratin bother me.

I had my first stall about 3 weeks out. At first you are losing a lot of Water weight. Stalls depend on a lot of things. I'm 14 months out. I have probably had 5 or 6 major stalls, they happen a lot. I've currently been in a 2 month stall and let me tell you I work out like a mad woman, I drink 80+ oz of Fluid a day and I eat mainly meats and veggies. I haven't found anything to really break it. Being this far out I've come to expect stalls and I just deal with them . as long as you are doing what you are supposed to it will come off.

Sent from my VS987 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you folks for your responses and apologies for the copy and paste error. The website kinda glitched as I was pasting so I double pasted.

jilani

I have stalls quite a bit! In one as we speak! I'll lose 10-12lbs and then nothing! Omg it's the most aggravating thing in the world! I'm 5 1/2 months out and have lost 60 lbs and that just didn't seem enough! I know that this is what to expect but it sure doesn't feel good! A very emotional and mental challenge in itself! How do you guys cope? I get down and out!????

Sent from my LG-D851 using the BariatricPal App

I am a daily weigher and trying to break that habit per my doctor's advice. I am also 3 months out as of 11/30.

My first stall came somewhere around 6 weeks. I actually lost and gained the same pound a few times over the course of a week. I just stayed with my program but tried to increase Water.

My second stall just broke yesterday. It happened at week 11 and lasted 9 days. In this case, I've gone back to the gym and was blazing away the calories I intake and then some, so I upped my Protein and calories.

I have noticed that after the 3 months of healing and the ups and downs of just surgery in general, my stalls happen 1 week out of every month(not related to periods). When the stall begins, I have made it routine to check my food log and adjust my calories, Protein and carbs. Usually I increase my calories a bit, up my Protein, decrease my carbs and try and up my Water from 64oz to 80oz. I make an effort to increase my speed on my daily walks. This usually breaks the stall and I begin loosing again.

If I stall there are several things I check, water/liquid intake, carbs, calories, and Protein intake. If and when I stall if one or more of those things are neglected, the scale stalls.

Daily I drink 80 ounces of Water plus per day. Carbs under 50 grams. Calories between 800-1200. Protein 80-115 grams.

**DISCLAIMER: Those ranges are good for me, check with your Dr for yours.**