Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Runny Nose after VSG. Does it go away ?

I noticed that in the past few months I have been sneezing lot more, and my nose drips like a tap on some days.

At first I thought this hay fever/allergic rhinitis was/is due to my autoimmune thyroid disease because allergies come up with this disease, or get worse.

After doing some reading on post op possible symptoms (post VSG), I found that few people end up with runny noses and sneezing.

I have tried all sorts of medications and sprays (cortisone ones and non cortisone ones), and nothing much is helping.

I ordered older types anti-histamines, as the newer ones did not work on me at all. At least the older ones like Phenergan, Benadryl and Sudafed seem to relieve my symptoms, together with Beconase nose spray.

So, my question is if anyone here has been experiencing this after surgery, how long for, and did it go away for any of you at some stage?

I am in my 9th month post op.

I am 16 months post op and my nose still runs after eating or drinking.

I buy tissues in bulk now.

I would have thought it would have lessened by now but it hasn't. Family and friends all know now that I will be blowing my nose throughout a meal. It's a small price to pay although annoying. I don't use anything to try to dry it up, with all the tablets and vitimins we take I didn't want to add another thing to the list.

Mine finally stopped dripping for no apparent reason, but it does drip when I am bordering on full. I love it. It's totally my warning sign that I need to stop eating NOW.

Sometimes I am full after a 1/2 cup, sometimes I am full after a few tablespoons. I can't always tell, but my nose can! It's my built in personal alarm. When I listen to my nose, I never get the gacky I gotta throw up NOW feeling, when I don't, well...

@@_Kate_

Yes, it is strange, this runny nose business. I too have been buying lots more tissues lately.

I can understand your not wanting to put another tablet/capsule into your body.

I am just desperate now, as I am sure both VSG and my Graves Disease aggravate this condition.

So, for now, I'll keep my anti-histamine regime.

Some days are worse than others ...

Thank you for your reply.

I'll keep soldiering on .....

Mine finally stopped dripping for no apparent reason, but it does drip when I am bordering on full. I love it. It's totally my warning sign that I need to stop eating NOW.

Sometimes I am full after a 1/2 cup, sometimes I am full after a few tablespoons. I can't always tell, but my nose can! It's my built in personal alarm. When I listen to my nose, I never get the gacky I gotta throw up NOW feeling, when I don't, well...

Hi @@LipstickLady

Good to hear that your nose stopped dripping!

It is interesting to hear that the nose can warn of getting too full. Yes, it is a great sign!

I haven't thrown up for a long time now, but get the runny nose practically every day.

Some days are lot worse than others, I hope I am not sensitive to yellow cheese, that I love.

Had a nice pork dish today, and I added a tablespoon of Mozzarella to it. Straight after .... bad runny nose with sneezing.

And the itching at night, but this is due to my Thyroid.

My current song is "I scratch myself ..." sang to the Divinyls tune .....

I will pay more attention to what I eat, drink/do when I get a really bad runny nose and sneezes.

Back to soldiering on ..... :blink:

Hi @@LipstickLady

It is interesting to hear that the nose can warn of getting too full. Yes, it is a great sign!

I haven't thrown up for a long time now, but get the runny nose practically every day.

Some days are lot worse than others, I hope I am not sensitive to yellow cheese, that I love.

Had a nice pork dish today, and I added a tablespoon of Mozzarella to it. Straight after .... bad runny nose with sneezing.

I will pay more attention to what I eat, drink/do when I get a really bad runny nose and sneezes.

LOL. "Every time I eat cheese I scratch myself."

I also get a runny nose but only if I've eaten a bite too much. My warning sign is a little burp or hiccup. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@_Kate_

Yes, it is strange, this runny nose business. I too have been buying lots more tissues lately.

I am just desperate now, as I am sure both VSG and my Graves Disease aggravate this condition.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis OzRoo...

We should do a survey and see how many auto immune sufferers have a runny nose lol

Hope you get relief soon :)

I have a constantly runny nose, but it was that way before surgery. I read something somewhere about eating stimulating the vagus nerve which causes acute runny nose in some people, and I have noticed sometimes it gets worse when I'm eating. I also have auto-immune, not sure if it's related. I have tried every medication under the sun - antihistamines, sprays, etc. We finally found one - Atrovent nasal spray - that works great for me (when I remember it). That's after literally dozens of medications over a span of a couple of decades. Sometimes perseverance pays off. :)

Hi @@LipstickLady

LOL. "Every time I eat cheese I scratch myself."

I also get a runny nose but only if I've eaten a bite too much. My warning sign is a little burp or hiccup. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

LOL, not the cheese!

Yes, I too get burps or hiccups if I eat too much .....

I wrote this silly chorus line to the "I Scratch Myself" ......

Chorus:

I need something else,

When I eat too much I sneeze and scratch myself

oh no

I want to stop and tell,

Had enough of runny nose, scratching go to hell

oh wow

oh no, oh wow

oh no, not the cheese

this is just too much

stop it, pretty please!

:D

Feel free to add to it ......

Edited by OzRoo

I wrote this silly chorus line to the "I Scratch Myself" ......

Chorus:

I need something else,

When I eat too much I sneeze and scratch myself

oh no

I want to stop and tell,

Had enough of runny nose, scratching go to hell

oh wow

oh no, oh wow

oh no, not the cheese

this is just too much

stop it, pretty please !

:D

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

:D :D :D :D

@@_Kate_

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis OzRoo...

We should do a survey and see how many auto immune sufferers have a runny nose lol

Hope you get relief soon :)

Yes, both Graves and Hashi's can be really miserable at times.

Truly, I would be interested how many auto immune sufferers who also had VSG/Bypass also suffer from the runny nose.

Thank you for well wishes!

My new antihistamine regime is helping better than the old one.

And I got rid off my thyroid migraines/severe headaches by having my both Daiths (ear cartilage) pierced.

The acupressure points in the Daiths has worked for me, and I now have extra earrings .... LOL

At least I don't have to take so many strong pain killers these days.

Hope your Hashi's is under control! :)

I have a constantly runny nose, but it was that way before surgery. I read something somewhere about eating stimulating the vagus nerve which causes acute runny nose in some people, and I have noticed sometimes it gets worse when I'm eating. I also have auto-immune, not sure if it's related. I have tried every medication under the sun - antihistamines, sprays, etc. We finally found one - Atrovent nasal spray - that works great for me (when I remember it). That's after literally dozens of medications over a span of a couple of decades. Sometimes perseverance pays off. :)

I too had runny nose before surgery, mainly in cold weather, and air conditioned places, but it wasn't as bad as it is now.

It makes sense re the Vagus nerve in some people.

Yes, I am paying more attention now to any symptoms (if any) I get from eating, any allergy type symptoms.

I read about your auto immune disease in other threads/posts. It is no fun ......

I am glad that you found a med/spray that finally works!

I too tried so many different types of relief over the years.

Yes, perseverance does pay off! :)

For my entire life pre-op I would get a runny nose and/or have a sneezing fit if I stufffed myself. The term for it is snatiation. It's happened to me a couple of times post-op when I was one or two bites over I think, so it's the same snatiation reaction.

A lot of random things make me sneezey though. LOL.

For my entire life pre-op I would get a runny nose and/or have a sneezing fit if I stufffed myself. The term for it is snatiation. It's happened to me a couple of times post-op when I was one or two bites over I think, so it's the same snatiation reaction.

A lot of random things make me sneezey though. LOL.

Wow, I learnt a new word today:

Snatiation

Love it!

Thanks @higher :)

No prob @@OzRoo ! It's one of my favorite words. Happy to share.