Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having or had a sleeve weighing 200lbs? SD 14/05/17

I have my last class in January. Hopefully my surgery won't be very long after. I weigh 226 and have a BMI of 35. I do have stomach ulcers that were recently discovered and told I would have to get the scar tissue removed after the bleeding ulcers heal anyway. So I'm doing this for health reasons too. I'm scared to have the surgery but also looking forward to being a normal size again .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Hi Rachel79uk, I'm Tinanna. I just signed in. I will be 9 months out on December 15th. I weighed 245 lbs before surgery. I had to do a 2 week diet to lose a little weight (so I could shrink my liver) doctors orders. I lost 11 lbs those 2 week's by drinking a shake for Breakfast, lunch and a good dinner. I had Snacks in between, like half of a PB&J sandwich and apple. Peanut Butter power bar. Slices of turkey lunch meat with tomatoes. Stuff like that. Walking 15 minutes once a day. I have Multiple Sclerosis and walk with a walker. Or I did. Now I'm walker free.

BUT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION:

Yes, I was 245lbs when I went in for surgery. 256lbs before the diet to shrink the liver. Dr . won't do surgery if you don't. I wasn't about to go through all of this hunger and suffering just to find out the day of surgery my doctor didn't go through with the procedure because my liver was still to large. OKAY, so back to you. Yes, I am now 170. I've lost 75lbs in less than 9 months.

You mentioned how scared you are. That is to be expected. I was terrified as well. With good cause! But, remember everyone has a surgery uniquely designed for them.

You will lose weight. You can over eat but, you will regret it. 2 things that can happen. 1'You can overflow your new stomach and it's VERY painful. 2 ' You can get dumping syndrome. In the bathroom with diarrhea and vomiting. You want to avoid these by listening to your tummy. It will tell you when you're full. DON'T ever eat and drink at the same time. (biggest problem for me) I always drank when eating ????. Who doesn't like Cookies with milk?

Yes, it's worth it. But, hard! Mentally and physically exhausting. That's why we have to go through the 6 months of counseling.

As far as weight loss isn't a magic cure to happiness...is right. But, if you do have the surgery you will not just take off the weight loss, you will start to lose mental things as well. For example, friends. Thing's you used to enjoy. But, the weight loss surgery takes up all your time now. Healthcare problems as well dissappear with the weight. Your fear of some things will go away as well. As you move further along self-esteem floods you. It can't be overcome. It happens.

This surgery has been a roller coaster to say the least. That's why I'm saying it's uniquely designed for you. I know your scared of all the things that "can" go wrong during/after surgery, the pain. To be honest, that's also individual basis depending on your pain level. I'm not real good with pain. And although it hurt, it wasn't the worst pain I've ever been in.

Be prepared. You will end up asking yourself why did I do this? It's will change everything as you know it. But, in the long run, you will be glad you did it. My opinions of course. It's such a great feeling when you go to put on a pair of your pants and they don't fit. It's even better when you can fit your whole body into 1/2 the side of the pants (like in the commercials)????

Like I said, it's more mental then anything. Make sure you have the support of a loved one. Even if it's just one person. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best! ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using the BariatricPal App

Wow, what an amazing reply. Thank you so much for your honesty. I've already lost friends from this and I haven't had it done yet. I have one person by my side, and thats my husband and tbh if I only have him, then I'm ok with that. Although he's a little on the fence about it all atm.

I'm really quite scared, but all this positivity has really helped me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and give an in depth look in to the life of a gastric sleeve xxx????xxxx

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any sleevers out there having or had surgery done weighing 200lbs and if so, did you lose much from it?

I'm so so scared. I've read loads of good stories on here thank God, but the very few people I have told are really against my decision. My husband is half and half about it. He is paying for my surgery but he is ready to bail at any given moment due to outside influences. I've battled with my weight my whole entire life. Even at the age of 6 I weighed 8 stone. (112lbs) this is the smallest I've been in my whole adult life, but it's coming back and fast!! So I feel this is my last attempt at making myself happy. I know weight loss isn't a magic cure to make you happy, but I'm fortunate enough to have all I want and need, except for being able to look in the mirror without crying and not wearing the clothes I want to wear!

Thanks to anyone that reads.

Have a great day

xxxx

I can completely relate! I'm not much over 200pounds. This is the first year I've been at & over 200...BUT like you, I was never the 'slender teenager'. It's like a I turned 10 and stayed at a ladies' size 14 all of my life. I'm only getting bigger and bigger these past years, and as I'm in my 40s now it's not coming off. Oh, I could get a prescription for a month of diet crack (pills), but whatever I would lose in that one month I would gain back (but HEY! my house was clean from all that energy I had!) My insurance isn't paying for my sleeve since I wasn't a 35 BMI past three years. I pulled my medical record--I was at 32 BMI the past 4 years. I'm sick of trying diet pills, I'm sick of busting my butt with a trainer and 5k run classes and still stuck at size 16. I know it's not cheap since my insurance isn't paying but I got a loan and I'm investing in myself. So, I hope you know someone out there is rooting for YOU across the pond in Alabama, USA. ;) My surgery is Monday, 5 December. I'm going to work hard to use this tool to its complete potential. Good luck to you @@Rachel79uk !

I tell you what I was on the fence when I had my sleeve done 2/16 I was 226 before my pre-op liquid diet. I believe I was down to 215 at the time of my surgery. I'm now down to 155 and I feel like I can take on the world! To me it's one of the best things that I've done for myself and my family.

My husband was also on the fence about my surgery. Obviously you're husband loves you but when you are struggling inside you're not the happiest that you can be and whether we admitted or they admitted it does show in our everyday lives. Since my sleeve my whole family has benefited we eat a heck of a lot healthier, we save a lot more money from not going out to eat, we do a lot more things as a whole because I have the energy and want to. I don't just watch life pass me by I participate now.

My husband sees the change for the positive while at first he was not liking it he's been my biggest fan after.

Your going to have people say go for it and some that are against it if you look for it. You're the one living in your skin day in and day out as long as you educate yourself your make the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How tall you are factors in too, you can have a pretty darn high BMI at 200 lbs especially if you're short.

Hi Ella,

I am 5'2 and so my bmi is like 36 something. I think as the other lady mentioned on here, sometimes I'm scared to say how much I weigh as people laugh and tell me I'm being stupid. It's like I'm too big to be small, but too small to be big. But what people don't understand, I'm not happy and I have a severelyautistic child.. I need to be able to run after her... and fast lol. Thanks so much for replying. Have a great day xxxx

my BMI was 37 so i'm close to being there with ya. don't let anyone discourage you.

YESSSSSS....I'm 5'3 and a 1/2. When you're short/petite, 200 pounds IS BIG. When I was in the Army, it was so hard to stay in weight standards b/c if you're a short female they expect you to be lightweight. I was a STURDY 5'3

I tell you what I was on the fence when I had my sleeve done 2/16 I was 226 before my pre-op liquid diet. I believe I was down to 215 at the time of my surgery. I'm now down to 155 and I feel like I can take on the world! To me it's one of the best things that I've done for myself and my family.

My husband was also on the fence about my surgery. Obviously you're husband loves you but when you are struggling inside you're not the happiest that you can be and whether we admitted or they admitted it does show in our everyday lives. Since my sleeve my whole family has benefited we eat a heck of a lot healthier, we save a lot more money from not going out to eat, we do a lot more things as a whole because I have the energy and want to. I don't just watch life pass me by I participate now.

My husband sees the change for the positive while at first he was not liking it he's been my biggest fan after.

Your going to have people say go for it and some that are against it if you look for it. You're the one living in your skin day in and day out as long as you educate yourself your make the right decision.

THIS!!!! My teenage boys are, honestly, getting a little chunky. We've all let ourselves go, and I'm hoping as the one who makes the shopping decisions and runs the kitchen that we will all lose weight.

Oh I think it will especially being the one control of the kitchen....muahahahahah

It's kinda of cool my 7 year old did a paper on me at school and her main focus was my mom makes sure we eat healthy. I really try now to explain and tell them what's good for their body and what's not every chance I get. Another important thing I learned is realizing how small their stomachs really are and finishing everything on your plate is not always a good thing.

It's those things that reaffirm to me that I made the right choice.

When I started this process I weighed 242 lbs, with a BMI of 37. During the 3 month supervised diet and 2 week pre-op diet, I lost 27 lbs. I went into surgery on Nov 1st, weighing 215 lbs, with a BMI of 33. I am 4 weeks today and I've lost 15 lbs. I pray I hit 199 tomorrow, so I'm below 200. I have had a stall during these 4 weeks. When you weigh less to start, you will lose slower; However, if you stick to the program, you will see results. I hope to lose 10-15 lbs a month. I have lost over 100 lbs by myself and lost 60+ lbs a couple of times. Problem is I gained it back. My new sleeve will help me for a lifetime, as long as I respect what needs to be done. Good luck with everything! You can do this!

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any sleevers out there having or had surgery done weighing 200lbs and if so, did you lose much from it?

I'm so so scared. I've read loads of good stories on here thank God, but the very few people I have told are really against my decision. My husband is half and half about it. He is paying for my surgery but he is ready to bail at any given moment due to outside influences. I've battled with my weight my whole entire life. Even at the age of 6 I weighed 8 stone. (112lbs) this is the smallest I've been in my whole adult life, but it's coming back and fast!! So I feel this is my last attempt at making myself happy. I know weight loss isn't a magic cure to make you happy, but I'm fortunate enough to have all I want and need, except for being able to look in the mirror without crying and not wearing the clothes I want to wear!

Thanks to anyone that reads.

Have a great day

xxxx

I hate to tell my numbers because too many people do not understand. I will share them with you (and obviously anyone who reads this). My surgery was last Monday. My starting weight was 190, my pre-surgery weight (after 2 week liquid diet to shrink liver) was 180. I have not weighed myself since Friday, at that time I was 178. I know the numbers seem low, but I am only 4'10". The less weight you have to lose, the slower it comes off. According to some charts, it will take me 18 months to get to my goal weight. The decision is hard, don't let anyone else make it for you. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T817V using the BariatricPal App

I get it! My daughter is 4ft 8 at 20 years old. She weighs 122 right now, which is a lot for her tiny frame. Her ideal weight is about 100-105. Just 15 lbs makes a dramatic difference when you of very short stature.

My last weigh-in I was 112. I am day 5 of my pre-op diet and I was 105 this morning. Hoping to hit 200 by my surgery date on Dec 7th. It doesn't really matter what you weight, but what your BMI is. Everyone says to me, "What? There is no way you're that heavy!" But the scale does not lie. As my surgeon said, "Its not my job to judge if you look good at your current weight or not. If you meet the BMI and co-morbidity requirements, then you qualify. Period."

Hi I weigh 215 and I'm 5'6" the people who know about my surgery think I'm kinda crazy for doing something so drastic. I am having it tomorrow because I want to feel like myself again. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and put on lots of meds including prednisone and I went from 165-215. I have tried and failed to lose the weight and I hate how I look. I think having the surgery is an individual decision. If you will feel better, then go for it. I have yet to read that anyone has regretted it!

@@Christyy41 you sound a lot like me. People have been saying the same thing to me. BUT...I have sleep apnea, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis...I was having high blood pressure but I think getting on a cpap machine has helped so much with that! :) BUT, I don't want to spend another year like this. I'm only getting bigger, despite all I've done to NOT get bigger. Angelina Jolie got a double mastectomy because she knew/felt she was doomed to the same fate as her mother. My motives are very similar. I don't want to be doomed like all the females in my father's family and my mom (though she did something about it too--she got a sleeve a few years ago!).

...at the age of 6 I weighed 8 stone. (112lbs) ...this is the smallest I've been in my whole adult life, but it's coming back and fast!! So I feel this is my last attempt at making myself happy. I know weight loss isn't a magic cure to make you happy, but I'm fortunate enough to have all I want and need, except for being able to look in the mirror without crying and not wearing the clothes I want to wear!

Rachel, I have no opinion on whether surgery is the right thing for you; I want to say something else. You're correct to say that weight loss isn't a magic route to happiness. At the same time, surgery isn't a magic route to losing weight. It's an aid to an end. People who are successful for the long term have made wise food choices while losing and continue to make wise choices in order to maintain the loss. It is possible to gain weight despite surgery and of this you must be aware.

Reading that you weighed eight stone at age 6 makes me want to hug and protect you and change the world for you. It's understandable if your husband's ambivalence is partly his concern for your safety. You didn't identify the others who are influencing him. If they happen to be the adults who were the major figures of your childhood, please, they are to be ignored.

I really want you to see your reflection with confidence. Be sure that you understand all the ins and outs before you proceed. Without knowing, you'll be working against yourself. And you're wrong about one thing. You'll always have chances at most things whenever you choose to attempt.