Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The War - next battle getting sleeved December 1

Hello All - My name is Dave.

My story, will sound familiar to a lot of you. I really can't remember a time I have not been fighting the war against fat.

I can even remember struggling when I was 13-14, and I was simply a big boned farm boy. Then on to football and wrestling, I bulked up for football, played lineman then would "drop" down in wrestling season to wrestle into the 189# division. Keep going into my late teens, was told I needed to loose 40# to get into the Military. Lost it, and more in boot camp down to my "adult" lowest weight of 177 - which was according to the Military and common medical thought the my "ideal" weight - whatever the hell that meant. My mother upon seeing me straight out of boot camp asked the period appropriate question "Son, do you have AIDS?".

I continued to battle my weight while I was in the Military, always struggling to stay below the magic 201# which was my maximum allowed. I ran a 2-3 miles several times a week, alternated with weight lifting and what they would call "core" strengthening today. I was always on the "chunky chicken" program. Then I met my beautiful wife, 25 years ago.

I got out of the military and within a year started college, put on a college 20 give or take, mostly give. We didn't have the money and I sure didn't have the time to eat right. I commuted 64 miles one way every day to school, worked 4 jobs, and when I was home slept.

I started a high stress job, that I enjoy, have been required to keep my weight first below a 35 BMI which required losing about 55# at the time and then later on was asked to keep it below a 40 BMI, which required losing about 80# of which I have always lost the weight only to have it come back plus more.

Then I continued to age, funnily enough finding much harder after 40 to lose weight, simply could not burn off the calories as well. I had a life changing injury, complete rupture of my right Achilles tendon, by the time I was able to walk again the weight had creeped back on. Once again working 12-14 hour days on call 24/7, even on my days off I would get several phone calls, just no time to work out and I have been in pain all the time, I would get motivated start eating walking, etc and then I would hurt myself because I was so big. I have injured tendons in both knees, sprained ankles, and some of it is simply the abuses of my younger life coming back to me.

So that is my war, I have won some battles losing huge amounts of weight, I have lost some battles, the most recent win is battling with my insurance company for almost 2 years - have gotten my approval for a sleeve. I started my liquid diet 9 days ago, my surgery is scheduled for 1 December. I have lost about 19 pounds demonstrating to the insurance I can do it, and I have lost at least another 15 plus on my liquid diet. The next campaign....

I guess I am equal parts nervous and excited about this sleeve, not worried very much about the surgery itself. I am worried about the impact it it will have in changing my family relationships. I worry about my resolve to use this tool, to keep lose and keep my weight off for my life. I worry about my relationship with food, I am not a huge junk food eater, but I do like a cold beer or three, and I love home cooked meals and I am a pretty decent cook, but don't hold a candle the the meals my bride can put together.

I have a lot of things to motivate me, being alive is the biggest one, the path I have been on isn't looking pretty probably not make it to retirement. The love of my life and being able to enjoy our twilight together. I want to see my teenage daughters married. I want to see my Grandson graduate. I have 110 acres of rural farm land, that is our own piece of God's country that needs a lot of work and effort to raise some animals and such.

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it" - Margret Thatcher

Good luck my date is also Dec 1.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Dave, first of all you made the decision to get the sleeve to better your health and life. I'm sure after the surgery you will have struggles but it will be worth it. My sleeve day is Dec 7 and I'm excited. I had a life changing experience my self in 2008 when I had major spinal surgery that put me in a wheelchair. Gaining weight and not able to move. With the support of my teenage daughter and my physical therapist I started learning to walk and move around. Years went by but still had chronic pain. I decided to get the spinal stimulator and it worked perfectly. I tried dieting and working out but no luck. I'm about 75 lbs over and that's why I decided to get the sleeve. I want to be able to see my daughter get married some day and I want to be healthier to see my grandkids. Good luck Dave we r all here to support each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Hi Dave, first of all you made the decision to get the sleeve to better your health and life. I'm sure after the surgery you will have struggles but it will be worth it. My sleeve day is Dec 7 and I'm excited. I had a life changing experience my self in 2008 when I had major spinal surgery that put me in a wheelchair. Gaining weight and not able to move. With the support of my teenage daughter and my physical therapist I started learning to walk and move around. Years went by but still had chronic pain. I decided to get the spinal stimulator and it worked perfectly. I tried dieting and working out but no luck. I'm about 75 lbs over and that's why I decided to get the sleeve. I want to be able to see my daughter get married some day and I want to be healthier to see my grandkids. Good luck Dave we r all here to support each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

best of luck to you!!

Paul12677

@@oilmandg, congratulations on your upcoming surgery. It's a struggle, but well worth the fight. It's ok to have concerns, but don't worry. Worrying causes stress, depression, and all sorts of other things. Stay positive, we are here to encourage you,