Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stopping Hydroclorothiazide and weight GAIN

Hi. I had the gastric sleeve on July 18, 2016. I was on hydroclorothiazide for over a year before surgery. By October 2016 my bp dropped so on November 8th (2 weeks ago) my primary doctor told me to stop the hydroclorothiazide because my bp was so low. Since the surgery I had lost 55 pounds. I was steadily losing weight. My surgery weight was 297 and my lowest weight so far is 241, 3 and a 1/2 months after surgery. I am no where near goal. After I stopped the hydroclorothiazide, I gained 8 pounds in two weeks!! I only eat about 800-900 calories a day. I literally cry because I don't know what to do. I even walk between 1 and 2 miles a day to try and keep the weight away. I went back to the doctor to see if he will put me back on the hydroclorothiazide but he won't. Please, anyone has experienced this, how much did you gain and when did you start losing again. I'm thinking about lowering my calories to 500-600 a day to see if that will kick start my weight LOSS again

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

That is 8 pounds of Water. I take hydrochlorothiazide, too. Took it a long time before surgery. I never really had hypertension, just lots of Fluid retention. I was off it for a while after surgery, but started retaining again. I gained about 10-15 pounds in a couple of weeks when I went off it, though that was the same time I had plastics, so that combo was rough for Water retention.

You may just need to give your body time to readjust a little, and you probably will carry a couple pounds of water always, without it. I think that's a good trade off, not to need a medication. Give it a little time, decrease sodium intake, and drink lots of water as your body adjusts.

Hi. I had the gastric sleeve on July 18, 2016. I was on hydroclorothiazide for over a year before surgery. By October 2016 my bp dropped so on November 8th (2 weeks ago) my primary doctor told me to stop the hydroclorothiazide because my bp was so low. Since the surgery I had lost 55 pounds. I was steadily losing weight. My surgery weight was 297 and my lowest weight so far is 241, 3 and a 1/2 months after surgery. I am no where near goal. After I stopped the hydroclorothiazide, I gained 8 pounds in two weeks!! I only eat about 800-900 calories a day. I literally cry because I don't know what to do. I even walk between 1 and 2 miles a day to try and keep the weight away. I went back to the doctor to see if he will put me back on the hydroclorothiazide but he won't. Please, anyone has experienced this, how much did you gain and when did you start losing again. I'm thinking about lowering my calories to 500-600 a day to see if that will kick start my weight LOSS again

First of all, hang in there. I know you have a goal in mind, but everyone's weight loss journey is different. Remember, this isn't a race to lose as much as possible, but a total lifestyle change. Exercising is good, but you have to look at your total health. Try other forms of exercise, but cutting more calories isn't the answer. When your body thinks it's starving, it holds on to everything it can because it doesn't know when more fuel is coming. Eat higher Protein meals more frequently & change the exercise routine. That'll jump start the loss again. Congrats on coming off the meds... That's the ultimate goal. Reduce meds & increase health & wellness. Hang in there.

Sent from my LG-H918 using the BariatricPal App

Your weight loss so far has been faster than average. It is normal to get to your goal in about one year. This is a diet, but one that will last for the rest of your life. Once the weight is gone, it takes a lot less calories to maintain the loss. Just stay on your eating plan and you will succeed.

Drinking more Water sounds counterproductive, but your body holds on to Water when it is not getting enough. Be very careful with salt and check labels for sodium.

Get as much exercise as you can and keep your calories low.. This is a temp;orary setback and your body will adjust.

Try to buy a scale that measures water weight. It will let you know how much of your body is water weight.

Consider asking your doctor about Furosemide. It also treats Fluid retention , better than Hydrochlorothiazide generally , but doesn't do as much for blood pressure.

I took Hydrochlorothiazide for peripheral edema for like 4 years and it stopped working for me. It also gave me gout. But my doctor switched me to Furosemide and it really helps with the Fluid retention.

At least for 2 years for me. My body adapts to Water pills and requires higher doses.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 326 (59lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

Edited by QueenOfTheTamazons

Thank you all so much. I just wanted to confirm that it's Water and it will go away. I thought about increasing my calories to 1000 to see if the weight will go down but I was scared to do that too. Lol. I will increase the Protein and the scale that weighs Water weight sounds GREAT I had no idea those types of scales were out there. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted

Also I have an appointment with my surgeon next Friday and I will ask about the Furosemide. I went to Walmart and got a regular Water pill and I think it helps a little

I can relate. During pre-op I was asked to stop my Triamterene-HCl, and I gained like 13 lbs Water within a few days. My right calf swelled up terribly (edema). My PCP told me to keep taking it which was direct opposite of my bariatric surgeon. I felt in the middle of a tug o war lol. In the end, I followed my PCP but also followed my surgeon to drink extra extra water if I was to stay on it.

I stopped taking it when I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I have been really slow losing the weight. I'm sure if I took it I would really drop the weight but I'm tired of peeing all the time.

Sent from bariatric pal app

HCTZ is a diuretic. Same thing happened when I stopped my main BP med which contained HCTZ. Your body just needs to adjust to not having the HCTZ and you should stop holding onto Fluid. Took a couple weeks for me. In the meantime, drink lots of fluids to help flush out your system - seems counterintuitive a bit but the more fluid you take in, the less your body will hold onto fluid. Please make sure to talk with your bariatric team before taking any other diuretic - even an over the counter one.