Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Resources for Meal Planning / Prepping? Dealing with head hunger?

Maybe I have just not figured out how to search the forums very well, but I am surprised that I have found so few posts about meal prepping / planning. I know this sounds pathetic, but I honestly thought the nutritionist fees that were part of my "package" would result in nutritional support that was more helpful. The post-surgery visits have basically involved the nutritionist/ nurse handing me papers with a list of what is okay to eat and what is not okay to eat. I envisioned that nutritional support would involve helping me plan meals tailored around my needs (I am pescatarian). I feel stupid because I cannot find any materials or supports for meal prepping/ planning (just general "do eat" / "don't eat" guidelines). I am almost 5 months out and have been at the same weight for about a month (60 pounds down, but holding still). I am supposed to only eat three meals and get 60+ grams of Protein, <30 grams of fat, and between 30-60 grams carbs. I have found myself wanting to snack but figuring out healthy, meatless options that are not high fat (e.g., cheese, peanuts) has been a struggle. I have read a couple of books that had a few ideas and I have joined the WLS Vegetarians Facebook page, but I feel like I am looking for help that does not exist. I feel like I am struggling to figure out a plan so that I don't yield to whatever is on hand when I am feeling hungry. I would like to meal prep for a week at a time, but a lot of the ideas I have found for that are high in carbs or contain meat. Is there a way to get help with meal prepping/ planning (real help - not just "here is your list of what to eat.")? Do you know of resources that have daily meal plans? Tips and tricks for retraining my brain away from head hunger also will be appreciated.

There's quite a few book on Amazon to help with that. I've been checking them out but didn't decide on which one yet. Why don't you eat meat? You body needs that kind of Protein especially after WLS.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Try pinterest for low carb and vegetarian recipes. Sometimes you might have to make substitutions. For example, spiralized zucchini in place of Pasta or veggie "fake" meat crumbles in place of ground beef. Once you have some recipes you like, meal planning and prepping just takes some basic organization. Pick a day of the week to come up with your plan for the week, your grocery list , and shop.

Some people like to cook a bunch of stuff all on one day, then portion it out into tupperware for each day of the week. Personally I usually take a less regimented approach. I cook each day, and the leftovers of dinner become lunches for the rest of the week or go in the freezer. Sometimes I will make a big crockpot dish on Sunday and portion it out.

I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't have a ton of advice on recipes for you, but there are people who make it work with wls. (I do love all the frozen Morningstar vegetarian items at my grocery). There is a food and nutrition section in the main forums on here that might help. I've also run into vegetarian wlsers on reddit and youtube so those might be places to look for suggestions.

What were your main sources of Protein pre-op? Or did you become vegetarian post-op?

THank you to the three of you who replied. Those are great ideas. I did not know there was a recipes section here. Honestly, I find BP a bit frustrating. It seems like many newbies asking questions do not get many responses whereas a lot of people jump in to respond to posts by the "popular" (for lack of a better term) people. So, I feel pretty frustrated with the few posts I have made trying to get advice. I really do appreciate you taking your time to respond!!!

Edited by mari.beth

There's quite a few book on Amazon to help with that. I've been checking them out but didn't decide on which one yet. Why don't you eat meat? You body needs that kind of Protein especially after WLS.

I bought a couple of books (used on Half.com) and have gotten a few good recipe ideas from them. If you figure out a good one, please let me know!

Try pinterest for low carb and vegetarian recipes. Sometimes you might have to make substitutions. For example, spiralized zucchini in place of Pasta or veggie "fake" meat crumbles in place of ground beef. Once you have some recipes you like, meal planning and prepping just takes some basic organization. Pick a day of the week to come up with your plan for the week, your grocery list , and shop.

Some people like to cook a bunch of stuff all on one day, then portion it out into tupperware for each day of the week. Personally I usually take a less regimented approach. I cook each day, and the leftovers of dinner become lunches for the rest of the week or go in the freezer. Sometimes I will make a big crockpot dish on Sunday and portion it out.

I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't have a ton of advice on recipes for you, but there are people who make it work with wls. (I do love all the frozen Morningstar vegetarian items at my grocery). There is a food and nutrition section in the main forums on here that might help. I've also run into vegetarian wlsers on reddit and youtube so those might be places to look for suggestions.

What were your main sources of Protein pre-op? Or did you become vegetarian post-op?

THank you! I did not know about the recipes / food sections. I will spend more time looking through those. I never have used Reddit. I need to check it out. Before surgery, I didn't eat enough Protein for sure. My main sources (before and after) are fish, shrimp, and meat alternatives (tofu, tempeh). I definitely substitute those products for other meat, but the veggie noodles -- great idea! I have a spiralizer that is collecting dust in a drawer somewhere. I will track it down and try some zoodles again! Thanks!!!

Have you tried the recipes thread on BP?

I did not know it existed. THANK YOU!!!

There are a multitude of reasons people choose not to eat meat, or certain kinds of meat, and all are valid. She stated that she is a pescatarian, which means she eats fish. She may also be lacto-ovo which would mean she drinks milk and eats eggs. But even if she's not lacto-ovo, I don't think we should be trying to convince her to eat meat when she has religious/moral/health reasons for not.

I am no longer vegetarian, but was raised that way for religious reasons (we were lacto/ovo/pescatarian in practice) and I can assure you that there are MANY ways to get plenty of Protein without eating meat. There are a number of high protein foods that are not animal-based.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4771/10-Vegan-Sources-of-Protein.html

To the OP:

I have been trying to find meal planning help with my own food issues, and have found that in general the options are not very good. There's tons of recipe ideas here in the recipe section and on Pinterest, but not a lot of information about how to plan meals especially if you're planning to do once-a-week or once-a-month cooking. There are resources for OAW/OAM cooking, but it's with their recipes and doesn't offer a lot of insight as to how to put your own recipes in place of theirs.

If you search once-a-week or once-a-month cooking, and read enough of the books/resources, there are basic principles you can apply. Like which kinds of food freeze well, which are good for make-ahead, etc. I personally have found it very hard to implement from scratch. But if you dig enough you can find them.

I will offer that if you're doing low-carb, you shouldn't worry overmuch about fat. The concept of low-carb requires a higher fat content than in a "normal" diet. I wouldn't go overboard, but since you don't eat red meat, your fat options are going to tend to be the "healthy" fats, so I really wouldn't worry much about that.

Also, I advise getting some clarification around "only 3 meals" a day. Post-op, your intake at a sitting will be so little that I don't believe only allowing 3 meals a day is wise. My instructions are to eat every 3-4 hours. Many of the people here who have 3 meals only as instructions, were allowed 2-3 Protein Drinks outside of those 3 meals as "snacks". Others are told 3 meals with 2 or 3 low calorie high protein Snacks.

Good luck! If I remember when I get home (feel free to PM me to remind me) I can post some of the OAW/OAM resources I've found.

I googled a lot of meal prep on the web. I usually just make up a couple of meals on Sunday and I do three regular meals and split it in halfs for six meals. I don't eat all of them in one day because I drink a Protein shake on the way to work and after work I usually eat a high Protein snake. So throughout the day I eat 5 or 6 small meals. I do eat meat but I eat a lot more fish since the surgery meat is very heavy on my tummy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

I eat three meals a day and at least one snack. Snacks can be fruit, nuts, veggies . I eat low calorie Jello if I get head hunger. I also will eat Peanut Butter and crackers or for me, even Peanut Butter and an English muffin. But, I am two years out and have kept off a hundred pound weight loss on 1,200 calories 60-80 grams of Protein 100-130 grams of carbs.

If you're into social media, look on instagram. They're are tons of food bloggers that post all kinds of recipes. Just modify them to your needs. So for example, if a recipe calls for chicken, sub that with fish or seafood. And limit your carb intake. There are also tons of recipe books on Amazon for post wls diets. I hope that helps.

Youbars.com does custom Protein bars. I need to avoid dairy right now, so I've had some vegan ones made up. 12 grams of Protein isn't *enormous* but it's something . They use nuts in the base, and I think mine have about 14 grams of carbs, almost all of which is Fiber. Just as a snack option.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App