Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

25 days in hospital...need advice!

I agree with kschultz007! That nurse should be fired!

I work at a hospital too and we would never do this to our patients.

Do you have a case manager with your insurance? They can guide you through the referral process to ensure your covered.

I wish you the best of luck and don't stop pushing until you get some answers and proper care!

Um, really? The nurse has absolutely no influence on the physician, and very little with the administration. While she may be wrong, she is sharing her experience in that facility. I agree that she should offer some ideas such as contacting the patient advocate or the CNO, but firing her? Really? As a nurse, I don't excuse poor behavior, but firing over this? I don't think so.

Yep really! It's my opinion and I feel strongly that no patient should Ever be mad to feel like they have no options. Clearly that facility does not make the patient a priority.

Do you have a case manager with your insurance? They can guide you through the referral process to ensure your covered.

I wish you the best of luck and don't stop pushing until you get some answers and proper care!

Um, really? The nurse has absolutely no influence on the physician, and very little with the administration. While she may be wrong, she is sharing her experience in that facility. I agree that she should offer some ideas such as contacting the patient advocate or the CNO, but firing her? Really? As a nurse, I don't excuse poor behavior, but firing over this? I don't think so.

Yep really! It's my opinion and I feel strongly that no patient should Ever be mad to feel like they have no options. Clearly that facility does not make the patient a priority.

I certainly agree that patients should be given every option available, and the patient's well-being should be the top priority. I just think it's a little harsh to say the nurse should lose her livelihood over something she has little control over. Re-educated, yes. Fired, no. Of course, that's just my opinion.

The nurse has absolutely NO control in this situation. Firing the nurse would be pointless because the issue is way over what a nurse can possibly navigate!! The OP needs to get access to the practices Medical Director, the hospitals board of directors and a lawyer asap!!!! An advocate or hospital nursing supervisor can provide these contacts for you. ALWAYS make record of names, dates, times and incidents. Try to get EVERYTHING in writing. I would not let them know I contacted a lawyer at this point. But I would definitely be a "squeaky wheel" until I was satisfied that the best was being done for my loved one.

Sent from Dee~Dee via BariatricPal

The nurse has absolutely NO control in this situation. Firing the nurse would be pointless because the issue is way over what a nurse can possibly navigate!! The OP needs to get access to the practices Medical Director, the hospitals board of directors and a lawyer asap!!!! An advocate or hospital nursing supervisor can provide these contacts for you. ALWAYS make record of names, dates, times and incidents. Try to get EVERYTHING in writing. I would not let them know I contacted a lawyer at this point. But I would definitely be a "squeaky wheel" until I was satisfied that the best was being done for my loved one.

Sent from Dee~Dee via BariatricPal

I'm not going to continue arguing whether or not the nurse should keep her job.

But I think we can all agree that what is happening to this poor patient and his family is wrong. And I think we all agree they need help, love and prayers.

I am praying and praying very hard for your husband speedy speedy recovery because I just had gastric bypass surgery on the 7th and I kind of went through the same thing they did the surgery on the 7 and had to do a research me on the 8th because of two leaks I stayed in ICU for 3 days woke up on Thursday kept getting fevers and everything but all of a sudden I just started to turn around they sent me home for days after that and now I have one they just removed one tube from my stomach I still have one more to be removed I still don't have much energy at all I'm just still trying to overcome what all I have been through but this is not an easy process I'm just praying and praying for your husband speedy recovery God bless

If you have anything you would like to ask me feel free

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Lawyer up and see how fast they move!!! Come on, really..... the minute theirs complications and he told you not to see someone else a red flag ⛳️ was sent up!!!!!!! Where are you now?

You have a case. Call another Gastro now any one of them will work. It's a gastro now and infectious control. Sepsis is serious!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

As someone who has education and work experience in both the medical and legal field, my response to reading your original post was...what in the F?! No, your surgeon does not get to tell you that he is your only option and you absolutely have the right to seek as many second, third, or other opinions as you choose to. Someone made a very good point about ensuring that you are in-network if you transfer to another hospital, and someone else made a good point that while a bariatric surgeon is helpful, a decent doctor is able to run the majority of tests you need without having to be a surgeon. In fact, the issue may not be a GI problem- there are lots of other parts of us that can break and if we are so focused on the idea that a recent surgery is the cause of the problem (which to be fair it probably is), then we might overlook something else purely because we didn't think about the option of other systems.

I would suggest that you ask for the patient advocate in the hospital. Your nurse is supposed to be that advocate, and while I don't suggest firing her, I would personally have a conversation with her about her responsibility to the patient above her responsibility to the doctor, but that's a problem for another day. If they do not offer a patient advocacy program (and some of them are nonexistant or entirely worthless), you then call the other bariatric surgeons that you mentioned are at other hospitals and ask if they would accept a referral. At the same time, you ask for a consult in the hospital you are at from a general surgeon, or you ask to speak with the chief of surgery. Your surgeon has a boss, and that boss, has a boss, and while the chief is a surgeon, his boss is usually somewhere near the board of directors who are a lot more invested in not losing money than they are in the ego of a surgeon. Go up the chain...at some point someone is going to recognize that you are very possibly a very expensive, very public problem, and take ownership of the situation. Do not sit quietly...be a pain in everyone's a*s until someone does something to fix the problem.

From a medical perspective, that is SO annoying, and yet you go into medicine or nursing originally because you care about the patient and if you are doing your job so poorly as to be in a situation where a patient's health is compromised and you are more concerned about them being annoying than in fixing the problem, you shouldn't be in healthcare and you deserve ever bit of irritation you need to deal with. I also don't entirely disagree with the point that threatening to sue them can cause problems- no one wants to be involved in a lawsuit and they will avoid you as much as possible, even if they had a sincere interest in helping, they are going to minimize risk to themselves by avoiding the case. That being said, if you have exhausted your options, your husband continues to decline, and no one is doing their job...an attorney can be a powerful motivating force in a field of inaction. You can sue them later if their actions caused harm to your husband, but the idea of honey killing more flies is applicable to the situation. Be forceful, be nice, and give them the chance to do the right thing...go up the chain of command at the hospital, call the other hospitals to see if you can get a transfer if your current hospital will do nothing, and if all else fails...you bring in the lawyer. Unfortunately enough, people who are otherwise unmotivated to do their job are sufficiently motivated when their boss's boss realizes that the facility is in a position of major liability because someone was a lazy turd.

The law exists to protect you when the system fails and if you have exhausted your options and no one will take positive steps toward solving the problem, then making the issue public and expensive may be a last resort, but it also has the potential to resolve a problem that otherwise seems to have no resolution.

I just check back because I was co corned and see that the original poster hasn't been back in a while. I really want to be hopeful.