Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling surreal few days before surgery/slight fear

Today is Saturday and my surgery is Tuesday. I've been so busy with school, my volunteer work, and more school that I haven't quite had time to entirely process how soon this thing is going down. This is my first surgery of any kind, so partially the surrealism comes from not knowing what happens once I'm in the hospital. (Obviously, I've read all my paperwork and can see on paper what will occur, but to me that is different than knowing from personal experience.)

Additionally, I'm discovering that I'm a little afraid. I have some anxiety issues that tend to crop up at the dentist and, as I discovered this summer before I went under for my endoscopy, when it comes time for anesthesia. I think my very little experience being a patient in hospitals paired with my dad and boyfriend both dying in hospitals a few years ago creates anxiety around the prospect of not waking up. Did anyone else experience any of this, the surrealism or fear? Did you find something to help you quell those concerns and anxieties?

My late boyfriend was actually an RN. He had the utmost faith in the team of medical professionals caring for him and he instilled in me that faith (though, never, ever blind). I try to focus on that, that these people are well-trained, dedicated, and caring individuals who will do everything they can to give me the best treatment. Sometimes focusing on this helps, but sometimes not.

I'm just looking to hear what others' experiences were.

Thanks! :)

Sent From BariatricPal App

Today is Saturday and my surgery is Tuesday. I've been so busy with school, my volunteer work, and more school that I haven't quite had time to entirely process how soon this thing is going down. This is my first surgery of any kind, so partially the surrealism comes from not knowing what happens once I'm in the hospital. (Obviously, I've read all my paperwork and can see on paper what will occur, but to me that is different than knowing from personal experience.)

Additionally, I'm discovering that I'm a little afraid. I have some anxiety issues that tend to crop up at the dentist and, as I discovered this summer before I went under for my endoscopy, when it comes time for anesthesia. I think my very little experience being a patient in hospitals paired with my dad and boyfriend both dying in hospitals a few years ago creates anxiety around the prospect of not waking up. Did anyone else experience any of this, the surrealism or fear? Did you find something to help you quell those concerns and anxieties?

My late boyfriend was actually an RN. He had the utmost faith in the team of medical professionals caring for him and he instilled in me that faith (though, never, ever blind). I try to focus on that, that these people are well-trained, dedicated, and caring individuals who will do everything they can to give me the best treatment. Sometimes focusing on this helps, but sometimes not.

You will be just fine. Scream holler yell cry jump up and down dance to some music. Do whatever you have to do. I've had a breast reduction and arthroscopic knee surgery and I survived both. I'm just a punk when it comes to needles. I almost cry sometimes. . Stay focused. If religious or spiritual just pray about. Talk about it here and with whoever is your support. You will have nurses and nursing assistant (that is my job title) to help after surgery. My surgery is December 2.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm a big strong manly man, and I was scared stiff before going into surgery, which just happened Oct 11 this year. The thing is, if you followed all your instructions, and your doctor has a good record, you should do fine. Bravery is fear hanging on just a little longer. Good luck with it.

. I try to focus on that, that these people are well-trained, dedicated, and caring individuals who will do everything they can to give me the best treatment. Sometimes focusing on this helps, but sometimes not.

I don't see the skill and intentions of a surgery team as the concern. They don't live with us inside our psyches. It's ourselves in whom we need "faith." We need to trust our capability to make well-reasoned decisions. Beyond that, we have the power of choice. I'm not suggesting that you do so, but you can choose today to cancel surgery. You have that much power. You chose to begin the surgery process. You exercised your power and trust in yourself. There's nothing at all unusual about feeling fearful when surgery is only days away.

"I think my very little experience being a patient in hospitals paired with my dad and boyfriend both dying in hospitals..."

Most of all stay aware that it was your power that brought you here. You've got it, dental anxiety be damned. ,

I understand you, trust me being in a hospital scares me because my mom passed away while in the hospital. My sister is a Dr and my health surrogate and I have faith she will be on top of everything. Faith and family support is the key. Good luck

My sleeve is Dec 7th

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

@@ahappycamper,

Somehow part of my earlier note to you disappeared. Where I quoted your statement about having little hospital experience and the loss of your father and boyfriend, I said that having little experience is great, that no one wants much hospital time. Also that the sadness of losing two important people weighs heavily, but it's separate from your coming surgery.

Thank you all for your support and kind words. I'm taking them all to heart and doing some processing, giving it a day to see if I can shift some of the anxiety. You're all so very kind! ❤

Hope everything is going well!!

MsShortyDee

MsShortyDee

Thank you! It is! I went in at 7:30am and was finished by 9:50am or so. Woke up with LOTS of pain (by my standards, which are low because I rarely ever have pain of any kind, but tummy pain turns me into a big baby), but it's mostly been taken care of by the pain killers. The gas pain is pretty intense in my belly still, and they don't have me up walking yet. Sent someone to find gas-x dissolving strips. Hopefully it'll help.

Tomorrow I go home and life will be forced to fall in line under my new management! I really appreciate you asking!

MsShortyDee

Thank you! It is! I went in at 7:30am and was finished by 9:50am or so. Woke up with LOTS of pain (by my standards, which are low because I rarely ever have pain of any kind, but tummy pain turns me into a big baby), but it's mostly been taken care of by the pain killers. The gas pain is pretty intense in my belly still, and they don't have me up walking yet. Sent someone to find gas-x dissolving strips. Hopefully it'll help.

Tomorrow I go home and life will be forced to fall in line under my new management! I really appreciate you asking!

I have a low tolerance for pain also. I bought the gas x chewable. I need to find the strips before my surgery.

I know that's right. Hey we have to stick together on this new journey

@@ahappycamper, you're back already! My best pain-avoiding tip is to brace yourself with a bed pillow for coughing, laughing, sneezing and similar. Press the pillow firmly against your middle (the incisions, that is). It really makes quite a good difference.

"Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!"

- You'll have to look that up yourself.

MsShortyDee

I have a low tolerance for pain also. I bought the gas x chewable. I need to find the strips before my surgery.

I know that's right. Hey we have to stick together on this new journey

I believe mine were found at CVS, but they have been SUCH a life saver, so if you don't find them right away you should definitely keep looking if you can. The gas pain seems to be the worst, but sitting up, burping, and these strips help!

How are you feeling about your upcoming surgery?

@@ahappycamper, you're back already! My best pain-avoiding tip is to brace yourself with a bed pillow for coughing, laughing, sneezing and similar. Press the pillow firmly against your middle (the incisions, that is). It really makes quite a good difference.

"Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!"

- You'll have to look that up yourself.

Yep, I wanted to document as much of this as I could for the future! I'm also not really into cable TV and my phone has my Amazon prime, kindle, and netflix, so ** Not that I felt like watching anything lol. I've mostly been visiting with family and nurses, walking, and drifting off.

This is great advice, thank you! I've been doing this and it really has helped!