Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is everyone's estimated time off of work? I am really stressing about this. I don't want to be off too long. I was thinking a week. I am a retail manager with a good team that requires me little physical work.

I took 6 weeks off work. When you are deciding what to do, consider the food stages and the constant eating and drinking in addition to the physical recovery itself...

Good luck!

Edited by blizair09

I took off 4 days full time and 5 days part time.

In hindsight, more time off would have helpful as I am still having a hard time getting the 64oz in. I often forget to drink at work. I couldnt take more because of finances and because i am the only person in my department.

Healthwise, i was fine after 5 days.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

My dr requires 2 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

I scheduled it where I am taking one week of PTO and I asked for remote access so I will work from home for 2 weeks and the it backs up for Christmas and we receive a week off for the holiday. So a total of 4 weeks. I am so thankful for that. If they didn't give me remote access I would have to go back after a week.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I took one week off as PTO, the following week I worked from home (that's this week), and on Monday I go back to the office. I'm glad I had this week working from home as I am just now getting used to all the Vitamins and different supplements I'm supposed to take daily. I've also been experimenting with the soft foods. Physically- I feel fine. I started wearing a maternity belly band and that made all the difference in the world. I was sleeved on 11/3.

I took 15 days. I've been back to work since Wednesday. I work in a hospital and I'm on my feet 50/50. I've been exhausted and I'm ready to go to bed when I get home. 3 weeks off would have been better for me, but I'm surviving. I just started the pureed stage and finding adequate time at work to eat slowly and get in my fluids has been tougher than I imagined. But again, I've managed. It's probably been best for me to get back to work on my regular schedule. There's no way I could have come back to work in 1 week. I had to rest several hours every day, due to exhaustion.

I took three days off. My doctor said to go back when I wanted to, and I was ready.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

The nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office said they'd clear me to go back after a minimum of 2 weeks, but that she really hesitates to clear people before 3 weeks because it's so easy to get dehydrated at the beginning when you're still getting into the routine of drinking as much as you need to. Right now the plan is to take 3 weeks off and then go back to the office. I'm super fortunate to have a job that offers short term disability, so I can afford to take a little longer if I'm still feeling weak/having trouble drinking and eating at that point.

I have an incredibly physically demanding job (running, preforming restraints, etc) and my surgeon told me he would clear me after two weeks, fully duty, no restrictions. I still plan on requesting four weeks from work.

I'm also a retail manager and I asked my surgeon if i could go back to work in a week and he said yeah. I plan to take 2 weeks though maybe a few days before surgery and a half a week recovering afterwards and if I feel great I can go in before.

I'm taking six weeks

MsShortyDee

Hi. I was out on short term disability for 6 weeks. The day after surgery I was moving around like nothing happen. But a few days later I was out of energy. I could barely walk a half a block. It took me 3 weeks to build up my energy. post-244766-14795522398798_thumb.jpg

I took 2 weeks. Could have gone back after a week or so but glad I had 2 weeks (although my surgeon had said 1 week was enough). At 2 weeks, I was totally fine and went straight back to my 'after work' activities/hobbies at the same time (except exercise/gym). My surgeon said 10 days for driving I think. I don't have a very active job but i could have been more active than I was.

As someone else said though, it's useful to have a 'liquid strategy' to make sure that you get enough Fluid in when you first go back to work because you may need to eat more frequently than previously and can't drink for a bit before and after eating. So it needs planning.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App