Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it really hurt?

Hi everybody

I'm new here. Just made a account on here

Because I'm thinking to do the surgery myself. And it's terrifying yet excitment at the same time.

Maybe this is the hundred time someone asked this question.

But does waking up after surgery hurt and what was the pain level??

Sorry for my English. It's my third language.

Thank you very much

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

does it hurt? Well keep in mind pain and tolerance of it is different for every person. It is a major surgery and depending on which way you go they are either removing or rearranging some of your digestive tract. So yea there is some pain involved but from my point of view it was well worth it and I would do it again if I had to make the choice over.

Edited by Waler

It is a major surgery, and like the other poster said, it depends on how well you tolerate pain. My sleeve surgery was laproscopic, so I didn't really have any incision pain. The first couple of days were uncomfortable, but I can't say I was in any real "pain".

does it hurt? Well keep in mind pain and tolerance of it is different for every person. It is a major surgery and depending on which way you go they are either removing or rearranging some of your digestive tract. So yea there is some pain involved but from my point of view it was well worth it and I would do it again if I had to make the choice over.

I didn't have a lot of pain. Which was good, because I found out that the pain medicine the doc prescribed does absolutely nothing for me.

I didn't have a lot of pain. Which was good, because I found out that the pain medicine the doc prescribed does absolutely nothing for me.

Did you have pain meds before in your life?

Yes, there are other pain meds that work well for me. If my pain had been significant, I'd have asked the nurses to call the doc and change the prescription.

I take it you have never had any surgery before?

I think of myself as having a low pain threshold. The reason I think that is because I had 4 babies and had an epidural every time. There is no way I could have done it without an epidural. Most of my friends had natural childbirth, home births, etc. If my first delivery would have been natural I would never have had another child. Even the pain waiting for the epidural to be placed was incredible.

I just had my VSG on Halloween but I have have had my gallbladder removed in past as well as wisdom teeth and tonsils out in high school. I would say my VSG was not painful at all. I woke up with a morphine pump. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. They sent me home with liquid codeine but I only needed it to sleep at night for the next 3 or 4 nights.

I did feel sore across the top of my stomach for a week or so. It was like I had done a million sit ups. Sitting up is hard for a while.

Pain is not the biggest issue, they manage the pain. The hard part is learning how to eat and drink again. You have to go really slow because it does hurt if you try to get too much in too fast. And if you don't get your Water in you will get dehydrated. Even now over 2 weeks out I am struggling to get all my Water and Protein in. It takes me like 2 hours to get a Protein shake down. That's the hard part for me. I wouldn't say anything about this has been painful.

Edited by laceemouse

I have a low tolerance for pain and a high tolerance for opiods. I take vicoden for pain that most people would normally take 400-800 mgs of motrin because OTC doesnt work for me anymore.

I hit the morphine button a lot the first day, more because i could rather that actual pain. Second day we switched to liquid vicoden and i had 2. Third day was discharge, and i had a liquid vicoden to help get in front of any pain caused by the 3 hour drive home. I havent used anything (at all) since.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

I take it you have never had any surgery before?

I think of myself as having a low pain threshold. The reason I think that is because I had 4 babies and had an epidural every time. There is no way I could have done it without an epidural. Most of my friends had natural childbirth, home births, etc. If my first delivery would have been natural I would never have had another child. Even the pain waiting for the epidural to be placed was incredible.

I just had my VSG on Halloween but I have have had my gallbladder removed in past as well as wisdom teeth and tonsils out in high school. I would say my VSG was not painful at all. I woke up with a morphine pump. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights. They sent me home with liquid codeine but I only needed it to sleep at night for the next 3 or 4 nights.

I did feel sore across the top of my stomach for a week or so. It was like I had done a million sit ups. Sitting up is hard for a while.

Pain is not the biggest issue, they manage the pain. The hard part is learning how to eat and drink again. You have to go really slow because it does hurt if you try to get too much in too fast. And if you don't get your Water in you will get dehydrated. Even now over 2 weeks out I am struggling to get all my Water and Protein in. It takes me like 2 hours to get a Protein shake down. That's the hard part for me. I wouldn't say anything about this has been painful.

Thank you so much for your reply. This makes me less worried.

Yes i never had surgery whatsoever. Never had kids. No nothing. So this is my first time ever going in cold turkey.

But as you put it seems less painfull that people make it out to be. The most i've heard was gass pain. And other complications like lekkage. But this odly doesn't scare.

The anesthesia is the part that makes me afraid. Waking up from it and how desoriented i may be.

Yes i heard the incision doesn't hurt that much like its the pain of crunches. Yes.

The liquid diet and proteine tend to not bother me that much

I mean my biggest enemy is the food. And yes maybe i talk to simple. But not eating for a while seems like heaven because it stresses me so much out.

Thanks again for your reply. I am really proud of you that you went through it like you did.

Yes, there are other pain meds that work well for me. If my pain had been significant, I'd have asked the nurses to call the doc and change the prescription.

People tend to have some type of tolerance if they had pain meds before. So i guess the amount they gave you was little. You needed more. This is what i read on other forums.

Im glad you are out of pain. Thank you so much for your reply

I have a low tolerance for pain and a high tolerance for opiods. I take vicoden for pain that most people would normally take 400-800 mgs of motrin because OTC doesnt work for me anymore.

I hit the morphine button a lot the first day, more because i could rather that actual pain. Second day we switched to liquid vicoden and i had 2. Third day was discharge, and i had a liquid vicoden to help get in front of any pain caused by the 3 hour drive home. I havent used anything (at all) since.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 335 (50lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

Thank you. This seems so easy peasy. Maybe im just reading to much negative stuff and freaking myself out. I tend to have a mediocre tolerance for pain.

So I really don't know what to expect. So i just hope for the best. But your story and of others really helps me be more at ease.

Im so done with being fat. My whole life struggling against it. I rather have a month or so pain than the emotional pain for being fat the rest of my life.

Thanks again

Really helped me

People tend to have some type of tolerance if they had pain meds before. So i guess the amount they gave you was little. You needed more. This is what i read on other forums.

Im glad you are out of pain. Thank you so much for your reply

Thanks. I'm a nurse, so I know they gave me plenty. It was dilaudid which is a synthetic opiate, and some people just don't respond to it. I wasn't hurting bad enough for me to ask them to have it changed to morphine, which I know works. I'd already had my doc prescribe tramadol instead of hydrocodone because I dislike some of the side effects of hydrocodone. The tramadol took the edge off and I didn't need anything else. We were trying the stronger drugs just to make it a little easier for me to sleep and move around. So I was in some discomfort, but it wasn't enough pain to mess with getting the orders changed. By Day 3 post-op my arthritis hurt worse than the surgery site.

It really does vary from person to person. Not trying to discourage, but a woman who had surgery the same day and time as me was still having to use Oxy to sleep and was dealing with a,lot of pain issues. A lot of people has gas issues. I didnt, but I dont want you to think we lied to you if every thing is mot hunky dory.

Even with pain, i think its worth it. I have never lost 55lbs in 2 months before

HW 385 SW 359 CW 331 (54lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16