Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking with a straw

My post op guidelines state to never drink from a straw. I know it's because it causes access air but I seem to be able to get more Protein and liquids in when I use a straw. I am 1 month post op today and I'm still having trouble getting in maximum Protein. Yesterday I decided to use a straw and doubled my protein intake so if course I'm doing it again today. Is anyone else using straws?

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

I use straws. My doc said that some people do well (even better) with straws, some don't. She said that the biggest downside to straws is the discomfort from swallowing air, but it's not dangerous. She let me use a straw from day 1 if I didn't have additional discomfort from it.

Some people have instructions from their docs to never use a straw again, and their docs say that it can cause problems.

If you search in this forum, you'll find heated and lengthy discussions about straw use. Many people here use them without issue.

I use straws. My doc said that some people do well (even better) with straws, some don't. She said that the biggest downside to straws is the discomfort from swallowing air, but it's not dangerous. She let me use a straw from day 1 if I didn't have additional discomfort from it.

Some people have instructions from their docs to never use a straw again, and their docs say that it can cause problems.

If you search in this forum, you'll find heated and lengthy discussions about straw use. Many people here use them without issue.

Awesome, thanks!

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

About an hour after I was transferred from the surgery recover room to my own hospital room, the staff brought me a tray with all sorts of drinks, most with straws, and told me to start sipping. I followed orders, drinking with straws -- never had any problems with them.

I stopped using straws once I went home from the hospital, because I've never liked them (I think my mother convinced me that straws, like chewing gum and birthday parties, were things that were fine for small children but should be stopped after elementary school). But when I was using them in the hospital they gave me no issues whatsoever.

Edited by Bufflehead

Everything I drink I drink with a straw! And it's been that way since 2 weeks post op. I am now 13 months post op and never had a single issue with straws. Like you it made it easier for me to get my fluids and Proteins. My dr said to never use them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I drink Decaf iced tea and if I stopped using a straw, my teeth would be discolored in no time. It doesn't bother me at all. I've used one since day 50 post op.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm a bit fan of straw drinkers.....

About an hour after I was transferred from the surgery recover room to my own hospital room, the staff brought me a tray with all sorts of drinks, most with straws, and told me to start sipping. I followed orders, drinking with straws -- never had any problems with them.

I stopped using straws once I went home from the hospital, because I've never liked them (I think my mother convinced me that straws, like chewing gum and birthday parties, were things that were fine for small children but should be stopped after elementary school). But when I was using them in the hospital they gave me no issues whatsoever.

Birthday parties?

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

@@GourmetH20 yes, my mother is firmly against birthday parties for anyone over age 12 except for milestones like Sweet 16, turning 21, and then birthdays with a zero . . . and since she is the boss of the family we all pretty much just fall in line. She's not against a special dinner at home with your immediate family and small gifts but otherwise she has pretty strong opinions anti-birthday celebrations. I have no idea where they came from though!

Count me in as another straw drinker. My doc is totally OK with it if it doesn't cause discomfort.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Just wanted to say that I ended up with a Water cup that had a straw yesterday (I mostly use Tervis cups without a straw, but they were all dirty so I need to do dishes LOL) and I drank twice the Water while at work that I normally do, without even noticing. I think I'll switch to straws completely, because lately I've been struggling to get enough fluids in.