Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritionist or Psychologist

I just returned from my second visit with the nutritionist. She is a nice lady and I enjoy the time I spend with her.....

......but.........

I've been on a million diets. I know starchy v. non-starchy vegetables; sodium is bad; Proteins are good, etc.

Anyone but me feel like your time and money would be better spent with a therapist or psychologist instead? You know, so I can figure out why I gulp down food like I'll never eat again and continue to put shit in my body instead of the good stuff?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

First of all, we are all here to support each other. I see a shrink but lately reading people's remarks it's helping me get prepared for my sleeve. You do what's best for you but reading, and asking questions can help.

Chin up and be strong. U out can do this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Well my nutritionist did more than talk about good food choices versus bad ones. Mine also talked to be about the changes that come post op, which is helpful.

While I agree with you main point, I saw the nutritionist because that's what my insurance required to approve my surgery.

I'm noticing more and more nutritionists are also pursuing counseling education and licensures for the simple fact that most people know basically what they'd need to eat. They simply don't. I've seen a psychologist for a couple years due to a diagnosed binge eating compulsion. He helped me tremendously. I'm post-op now, but I still plan to see him every month or six weeks to help keep things in perspective.

I agree with you 100%. For me I realized at about 10 months post op that the issue wasn't "not knowing what foods to eat" to be successful, but was more "why do I sabotage myself". So, I sought out a therapist who specialized in eating disorders and, besides the surgery itself, that was the single best decision I've made for myself in my life. I've been going weekly for 3 years now and it's made all the difference in keeping the weight off, but also in changing the war that is constantly going on in my head with food.

I'm a nurse and a professional dieter since my teenage years. My required visit with the nutritionist was a waste of time and money. I have yet to meet a nutritionist who was worth it. If I had access to a registered dietician, I suspect that would be a much more useful visit. I also suspect that if I didn't have a lot of knowledge about nutrition already, that she might have been of more use to me.

What *has* been amazingly helpful for me was finding a therapist who specializes in food issues. She wasn't very much in favor of my having the surgery, but she's working with me on my food issues and emotional eating. She's worth every cent I've had to pay out of pocket for her services.

I should mention not all therapists are created equal. I've had much more productive sessions with my psychologist (PhD) than two different therapists (Master's degrees). I'm not sure if less education was the issue as much as age difference and more experience with emotional eating.

I should mention not all therapists are created equal. I've had much more productive sessions with my psychologist (PhD) than two different therapists (Master's degrees). I'm not sure if less education was the issue as much as age difference and more experience with emotional eating.

This is very true. I went to someone who specializes in body image and eating disorders. While it might not appear that we emotional/binge/overeaters have much in common with anorexics, the underlying issues tend to be very similar, if not identical.

If you feel you need/want a therapist and don't mesh well with one you've tried, look for someone else if you can.