Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Use Alcohol after Weight Loss Surgery?

Most surgeons and nutritionists suggest quitting alcohol after weight loss surgery for many reasons.

• It has empty calories, so it can throw off your weight loss.
  • It lowers your inhibition as it relaxes you, so you are more likely to eat too much or choose high-calorie foods while you are drinking.
  • It shakes up your blood sugar, so it can change your hunger levels.
  • It’s not safe to drink on an empty stomach, so you need to break one of the basic rules of the weight loss surgery diet to separate fluids from soli foods.
  • Weight loss surgery patients, especially gastric sleeve patients, are affected more quickly by alcohol.

Weight loss surgery patients run a high risk of overusing alcohol. As many as 10 percent of WLS patients become alcohol abusers, likely because they turn to alcohol instead of food.

Still, some weight loss surgery patients do use alcohol after weight loss surgery. Many do it quite successfully: they moderate their alcohol intake and are able to keep it under control.

If you have had weight loss surgery, do you drink alcohol? When did you start drinking post-op, and how much do you have? How do you make sure to keep it under control, and how do your post-op use and tolerance compare to your pre-op drinking habits?

If you are pre-op, what are your thoughts about alcohol use? Are you planning to drink post-op? Have you discussed it with your surgeon?

Very interesting topic, Alex.

Prior to wls I was a big beer drinker.

Big as in BIIIIIGGGGGG. And big as in fire up the grill and kill a 12-pack of real beer in the process.

Post op....things have changed.

I no longer drink beer. I prefer higher grades of vodka or tequila blended with low or no calorie mixers.

For the most part I've found bartenders who accommodate. For those that don't....there are shooters.

I never drink & eat.....unless you count olives in the martinis. lol. As a result of no eating + only drinking liquor = I've found that I "get there" much quicker. I have learned to sip drinks at a "slower than beer" rate.

It's been a learning process........one that I truly wish my fellow BP folks would develop a plan prior to trying. Know yer limits ahead of time.

As far as the weight loss impact......I usually burn off my drinks on the treadmill ahead of time tha day. My version of "Pay it Forward".

I never stopped drinking. Alcohol has never been particularly important to me and, when I feel like a drink or two, sometimes three, I don't hesitate. This includes wine, cocktails and a basic, mixed drink. The occasion and the company determine the quantity. My limit is two consecutive days.

Absolutely! I never bought imitation baking extracts and I don't intend to start now. That goes for pie crusts too.

PS For those of you who don't know, real extracts (vanilla, etc.) are normally 35% alcohol (or more if you make your own). Pie crusts are made with VODKA. Williams Sonoma teaches that for an excellent (chemical reaction) reason.

:)

A month or so after surgery i started drinking again, I would drink a bottled Water w low calorie kool aid mix in it w a shot of vodka. Now a year later i drink redds apple ale.

Sent from my LGLS740 using the BariatricPal App

I did not have my first drink post op until 22 months post op. I never was a big drinker but I do enjoy a drink when going out to dinner (before dinner).

When I did drink prior to surgery, it was rare and usually something with alot of calories in it, like an old fashioned or a margarita.

Now, I stick to wine mostly and I usually will have it before I eat as I said. You do have to be careful because one glass and I am feeling no pain....

If I dont drink wine, i have tried sipping whiskey or bourbon.

I drink a couple whiskeys neat each night but keep my calories under 1000. I drank a lot of beer before surgery and probably had about 4 each night. I will drink beer on the weekend but slowly. I do get buzzed quicker. And I get a hangover if I have more than two. If I have more than two may gain a couple pounds but then catch back up with the loss a couple days later.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm pre op and have thought a lot about this issue. My mom is a recovering alcoholic so I am concerned about the idea of swapping addictions. With all that being said I plan to drink post op but not for a long time, at least 8 months out. Longer if my stomach seems iffy. But even then I plan on only doing it on special occasions (birthday, thanksgiving, etc and no more than once a month). But before I do any of that I'm going to have a drink at home with a close friend here to see how I react to it. I do love cooking with alcohol though, does anyone know if that is an issue post op? I know it will be a while before I'm cooking real meals but wondering if it's acceptable.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was never a big drinker pre-surgery (we're talking maybe five glasses of wine per year), but I haven't had any alcohol at all since my surgery 17 months ago.

My body reacts much differently to alcohol post-op. I get a quick buzz but it goes away very fast. I've never been hung over since I had surgery.

I'm still the same person I was before surgery, and enjoy many of the same things in life as before...

The big difference, before surgery I could eat anything and as much as I wanted, unable to control myself...

So surgery has solved that.

Now I behave as many skinny, physically fit people do who never did have WLS.

That interesting idea,Alex

Im quit alcohol because i had history sezuire at 12 years old im been on and off drinking alcohol and im chose quit alcohol drinking for my health reason..

I don't wanted cheat drinking alcohol after surgery bad idea!

Im on post op two weeks after my surgery january 9

My mom's family didn't drinking alcohol because of religion i have respect that but im chosen follow her family..

My nutritionists wanted me to stop drinking pre-op so I haven't had a drink since August. I'm one month post-op and I don't plan on drinking anymore period.

I don't like the taste of wine, liquor, etc. and I can no longer have the things I used to mix my drinks with anyway so I don't see the point in drinking any more.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App