Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help deciding if sleeve is for me

Hi all! My surgery is planned for the 27th, yea! The problem is I keep going back and forth between bypass and sleeve. I am a sweet eater and my surgeon told me that Cookies and cakes could go right through. So bypass might be a better option but I would prefer the sleeve. So my question to all of you ...are you able to eat large amounts of sweets or do you get sick? Thank you so much. Are any of you emotional eaters or binge eaters? has the sleeve helped with volume too? Thanks in advance and appreciate your time.

L

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Some ppl with sleeve get dumping too but not as common

I dobt seem to as of now...but interestingly, I sampled my mom s candy and sweet s and tgey taste super sweet and undesirable post surgery..

However I have a huge chocolate craving and finding chocolate yogurt to placate it but most are to Higg in sugar and fat. I had one, didn't get suck but saud, I didn't go through all this surgery for nothing... it's important I work in self control, will power and make the right decisions

Bypass is much more likely to give you negative reinforcement then sleeve but it still comes down to working on psychological relationship with food, determination to self care and reward yourself once in a long while if it won't be a trigger to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!

I'm in purees hitting just at three weeks out and u still feel frequent hunger pangs despite protonix however I get full fast and dobt desire junk foods

In time, I feel I will be able to eat anything though and so I'm working hard now in therapy and at home on changing my habits, relationship and self control

I have a high BMI and was supposed to get bypass originally bc it's easier to shed tge weight but i have multiple complex medical issues so surgeon felt sleeve was safer and better with all the meds I need.

Sleeve us safer too complications wise however you have to work harder on your own emotions, will power etc..you can definitely eat around the sleeve as tgey call it and many cab eat anything wo internal consequences eventually

I had sleeve done August 30 th. Also a big sweet tooth. I will tell you my need for sweets has diminished substantially and I can't handle too sweet. As for amount of food... you r brain may want more but your stomach won't let you eat it. I too was debating between sleeve and bypass went with sleeve and happy about my decision

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Some ppl with sleeve get dumping too but not as common

I dobt seem to as of now...but interestingly, I sampled my mom s candy and sweet s and tgey taste super sweet and undesirable post surgery..

However I have a huge chocolate craving and finding chocolate yogurt to placate it but most are to Higg in sugar and fat. I had one, didn't get suck but saud, I didn't go through all this surgery for nothing... it's important I work in self control, will power and make the right decisions

Bypass is much more likely to give you negative reinforcement then sleeve but it still comes down to working on psychological relationship with food, determination to self care and reward yourself once in a long while if it won't be a trigger to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!

I'm in purees hitting just at three weeks out and u still feel frequent hunger pangs despite protonix however I get full fast and dobt desire junk foods

In time, I feel I will be able to eat anything though and so I'm working hard now in therapy and at home on changing my habits, relationship and self control

I have a high BMI and was supposed to get bypass originally bc it's easier to shed tge weight but i have multiple complex medical issues so surgeon felt sleeve was safer and better with all the meds I need.

Sleeve us safer too complications wise however you have to work harder on your own emotions, will power etc..you can definitely eat around the sleeve as tgey call it and many cab eat anything wo internal consequences eventually

Thank you for your insight. Congratulations on your progress

I had sleeve done August 30 th. Also a big sweet tooth. I will tell you my need for sweets has diminished substantially and I can't handle too sweet. As for amount of food... you r brain may want more but your stomach won't let you eat it. I too was debating between sleeve and bypass went with sleeve and happy about my decision

Thank you!

Maybe you shouldn't get either. You haven't had surgery yet and you are already trying to figure out how to best eat Cookies and cakes after you have it done. If you still plan to eat sweets, just avoid the problem altogether and don't have surgery. Problem solved.

Yes first things first...adopt a healthy eating lifestyle so cookies/cakes shouldn't be on the radar until after you have met your goals. An occasional cookie ever now and then will probably not hurt you once you are able to tolerate food again in the future with either surgery but try not to focus on it. Go with the plan.

J. King

Edited by 100lbgoal

Maybe you shouldn't get either. You haven't had surgery yet and you are already trying to figure out how to best eat Cookies and cakes after you have it done. If you still plan to eat sweets, just avoid the problem altogether and don't have surgery. Problem solved.

Dave,

Thanks for your input! To be clear, I am Not trying to figure out how to eat Cookies. My apologies if my question came off like that. Actually the exact opposite :-) I am trying to be honest with myself. If I have the gastric bypass and eat a cookie( several months out) and get sick that might be the best thing for someone LIKE me. Many people are having surgery because of poor eating and emotional eating. Actually I'm not sure why/ if anyone would need surgery if they didn't struggle with those issues. I'm coming in well-informed... there's a honeymoon phase and then it's maintenance and the excitement of losing a large amount of weight is no longer. This is a real question.. this is about life after the weight loss. For me, I know how to lose weight. Lots of it! The problem is maintaining the loss. I'm guessing most people that turn to surgery struggle with maintenance. Regards,

L

@@Alexis99

I think I asked exactly the same question. I too was a sweet eater and I binged something chronic on sweet foods prior to getting sleeved. I was so afraid that I would be able to continue to binge post sleeve and that it would all have been for nothing.

I'm only 5 weeks post op but I can say that I haven't touched anything sweet since I started my pre op diet, nor have I wanted to. I can't say this will always be the case but I do know that my frame of mind has changed. I've been through so much and I no longer want that food.

I can't tell you which op to get but know that bypass patients don't always dump from sweet food. There are a large majority that don't, so don't let that sway you.

Go with your gut. At the end of the day you will have to work equally hard no matter which surgery you choose.

Really good. I recovered very well. Can eat pretty much anything (on my plan). But I struggle with Protein because I couldn't be bothered eating anything and I have to force myself. And for some reason no matter how much I drink I always feel thirsty. But otherwise I'm great.

There's a large percentage of people who don't 'dump' with the bypass, either. My husband is one of them.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is depending on the tool itself to do the work and give you the will power. And it does...at first. But it's all on us the further out we get and beyond to keep the weight off. I have never thrown up or even had an upset stomach from anything I eat. Sleeve of steel at 2+ years out. It's both a blessing and a curse sometimes!

Good luck with whatever tool you decide on.

There's a large percentage of people who don't 'dump' with the bypass, either. My husband is one of them.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is depending on the tool itself to do the work and give you the will power. And it does...at first. But it's all on us the further out we get and beyond to keep the weight off. I have never thrown up or even had an upset stomach from anything I eat. Sleeve of steel at 2+ years out. It's both a blessing and a curse sometimes!

Good luck with whatever tool you decide on.

Ty

I think, in the end, you can still binge eat with either the sleeve or the bypass. Just, instead of it being large amounts at once, it's large amounts spread out over the day. I can only speak to the sleeve, but I've known several people ("real life friends") who had the bypass and after a year or so went back to their bad eating habits and gained back their weight. Ultimately, either surgery is just simply a tool. I know we say that all the time, but it's true. The extent to which you use the tool effectively will determine your outcome. If emotional eating and binge eating are your vices, I would highly recommend getting matched up with a therapist you feel comfortable with who specializes in eating disorders. This will make all the difference for you, regardless of which procedure you go with.

Hopefully whichever you choose will work for you. Of course we all had a food problem too or we wouldn't be here. I am three months out from sleeve and am happy with results. Hopefully I will be in a better trained state when my small stomach grace period is over. Still full after very little b

I have known people with every version of gastric surgery - lapband, bypass, and sleeve. Bottom line, once you are a ways out from the surgery, every single one of them can be "eaten around".

I watched friends with lapbands drink sugared sodas and eat ice cream and cream-based Soups because they never addressed their emotional eating problems.

I have watched friends with bypass find the foods that don't make them dump and eat way too much, or just graze constantly during the day and put the weight back on.

The people I know who have had the sleeve aren't as close friends so I don't see their day-to-day activities, but they are all fairly recent surgeries as well. I am 3 months out and can already tell ways that if I were determined to, I could eat around the sleeve.

What I'm trying to say is that the surgeries can be great tools, but if we don't do the other work needed, the tools can never function as well as they're supposed to.

Months before I decided definitely to have the surgery, I started seeing a therapist about my emotional eating and other food issues. I knew I needed to get that stuff straight whether I had the surgery or not. Best decision I ever made. And while I'm still very happy with the surgery, if I'd been forced to choose between therapy and surgery, I'd take the therapy hands down. Having the two together, I believe gives me a better chance of long term success than either alone.

As I've read here many times, the surgery is on your stomach, not your head. Both have to be addressed.