Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to not be overweight?

I was wondering is anyone's goal weight within the healthy BMI range? I was talking to the friend that first got me interested in Lap band (her sister had it done a few years ago) and I told her that I was hoping to get down to 115-120 lbs which would put me in the healthy BMI range (I'm only 5'2) She started laughing and said the there's no way to reach that with lap band? I was crushed, I know the band is a tool but I didn't go through all this to still be considered overweight. I am willing to work my @$$ off at the gym and eat healthier but what's the point if I'm still overweight. If I wanted to still be overweight but a little lighter then I would have tried another stupid diet where I shed a few pounds and hope for the best. My surgery date is Oct. 2nd and I'm getting bummed out about even going through with it. I didn't want to do gastric but I don't want to still be fat either. What's the point if I can't be healthy? B)

I tend to agree, but then even if I'd stopped at say 85kg, still 6kg overweight for my height, I felt worlds better than I had at 113kg. I was healthier, fitter, exercising regularly and feeling terrific by 85kg, it would STILL have been very much worth it.

But I set my goal weight in the healthy range and now I 'm working my way down through the healthy range, as I do have that tall, thin build without a lot of bulky muscle, so I do need to be light or I still carry too much fat even though not "overweight". I couldnt see the point of setting a goal that was overweight.

The way I see it, the lost 60% of your excess wieght takes into account all the reasons why people dont lose it all - they dont exercise, they're non compliant, they're older than average, they start out as much much much more obese than I was, something happens to their band, they have diseases and conditions.

None of that applied to me and I didnt see a reason to set my sights short. I've had no trouble losing more than 100% of my excess weight by doing what I should - eating right and exercising.

I personally know quite a few people in my support group that are at goal and have been for 3 years or more. They all exercise.

People do get to goal weights that put them within their healthy weight.

Despite starting out with a fairly high BMI, I still got down to a healthy weight for my height (some would argue that I am almost too thin), and have maintained it for almost 14 months. It can be done.

Chickie, you DO look amazing!

I was wondering is anyone's goal weight within the healthy BMI range? I was talking to the friend that first got me interested in Lap band (her sister had it done a few years ago) and I told her that I was hoping to get down to 115-120 lbs which would put me in the healthy BMI range (I'm only 5'2) She started laughing and said the there's no way to reach that with lap band? I was crushed, I know the band is a tool but I didn't go through all this to still be considered overweight. I am willing to work my @$$ off at the gym and eat healthier but what's the point if I'm still overweight. If I wanted to still be overweight but a little lighter then I would have tried another stupid diet where I shed a few pounds and hope for the best. My surgery date is Oct. 2nd and I'm getting bummed out about even going through with it. I didn't want to do gastric but I don't want to still be fat either. What's the point if I can't be healthy? :)

It's not the band, but, you who will get you to your goal weight and yes it is possible. The band isn't the "MAGIC SOLUTION" to get you there - in fact the BAND won't get you there - only you with the help of the band will get you to your goal weight. You must eat properly, excercise use the band as the tool that it was designed for to help control portion size Do not listen to the nay-sayers ....

Sbee, she is incorrect. There are hundreds of stories out there of people who have met their goal weights. You can do it. It may take you some time, but all in all the lapband works. Keep the faith and don't listen to her!

Thanks everyone, I usually don't pay any attention to the negative people but this was the person who got me interested in getting banded, I couldn't believe it. Oh well I' m totally committed to working out andI know it'll be hard to eat right but I just wanna be healthy.

Chickie you look sooooo AWESOME!!!! You're pics really showed me that I can do this

We have a tendency to underestimate ourselves. Anything is possible. With a lot of work, and dedication, we can do anything.

And thank you. I feel better than I look, and that is most important!

I was wondering is anyone's goal weight within the healthy BMI range? I was talking to the friend that first got me interested in Lap band (her sister had it done a few years ago) and I told her that I was hoping to get down to 115-120 lbs which would put me in the healthy BMI range (I'm only 5'2) She started laughing and said the there's no way to reach that with lap band? I was crushed, I know the band is a tool but I didn't go through all this to still be considered overweight. I am willing to work my @$$ off at the gym and eat healthier but what's the point if I'm still overweight. If I wanted to still be overweight but a little lighter then I would have tried another stupid diet where I shed a few pounds and hope for the best. My surgery date is Oct. 2nd and I'm getting bummed out about even going through with it. I didn't want to do gastric but I don't want to still be fat either. What's the point if I can't be healthy? :)

Success with any weight loss surgery is determined by the patient's willingness to modify their lifestyle.

I know MANY people who are within BMI <25 range.