Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Percentage of fat in diet, a concern?

Hello all,

I am 5 weeks out, and following a high Protein, very low carb, no sugar diet of soft foods. I log everything into MyFitnessPal.

I am wondering about your thoughts on the amount of fat in my diet. From the pie graphs on my app I see my fat consumption is about 25-45 percent of the days calories. My Protein is about 40-45 percent. Could fat intake be a reason for slower weight loss? I'm on day 14 of a stall.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help!

diet macros.pdf

Edited by The New Kel

My diet plan doesn't restrict fat but I try choose the lower fat options, just started mushy, so1-2% fat dairy, lean meat and fish. You do need fat in your diet. You didn't ask but you're Protein seems low. I'm on 90grams based on my current weight. It drops as the weight drops but.the lowest recommended on my diet is 60 grams of protein a day.

Also, I don't know why people persist in calling it a "stall", I prefer to think of it as a physiological adjustment period. You're still loosing fat no matter what the scale says.

Yeah your fat numbers and carb numbers are flip-flopped. Should be the other way around...and if you really want to kick start yourself, cut the carbs for a little while, too...and make sure they never consist of fruit. Always vegetables, preferably non-starchy.

Also, you may want to re-evaluate your TDEE and make sure you're actually in a decent caloric deficit every day, to begin with. If you're not getting the exercise you were, get back to it. If you're at the same intensity level you were a week or two ago, boost it. Also...water, Water, Water.< /p>

Everyone's body reacts differently but one thing is for sure, if you're stalled out you have to try some changes and I would try cutting the fat content of your diet in half for a week. If that doesn't see results, then boost your non-fruit carbs. Beans and such. It's trial end error, busting plateaus. Sometimes, counter-intuitively, it can even help to boost your calorie intake for a week, to kick-start your metabolism.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

@@PorkChopExpress,

Thanks for the help! When you mean my carbs and fat intake are flip flopped, you're saying that I should get closer to 25 carbs and lower the fat? My highest percentage of intake now is in Protein, then fat, then carbs last. Could I be shooting myself in the foot by restricting even good carbs?

And I totally agree too with trial and error!

@@Aggiemae,

My Protein has been ranging between 60-90 a day. I thought that was good...I might need to to up that?

I know you are right about not calling it a stall. It's hard around the second week of no weight loss not to get a little stir crazy but I know, embrace it! :-) Actually for the first time in two weeks, I'm down one whole pound today, lol!

Edited by The New Kel

Check in with your nutritionist. Your Protein should be based on goal weight/current weight. This number is different for everyone. Don't change your diet based on suggestions here. You have a professional team that guides you based on your tests and goals. Check in with them.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Check in with your nutritionist. Your Protein should be based on goal weight/current weight. This number is different for everyone. Don't change your diet based on suggestions here. You have a professional team that guides you based on your tests and goals. Check in with them.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I will! thanks!!

I suspect your nutritionist will also tell you that fats should be the smallest percentage of your diet, right now. Protein > carbs > fat.

If, however, you wanted to be in ketosis...then you'd want Protein and fat with almost no carbs at all. But it's not all that healthy to stay in ketosis for long periods of time. Some people do that to jump-start their metabolism too, though.

In the end, nobody is going to be able to give you a magic solution to breaking a plateau, though - not your nutritionist, and nobody here. Everybody's body reacts differently to calorie restriction and even the breakdown of your macros. To some extent, you'll have to try different things. But I would first try restricting fats and boosting carbs a little bit, personally...because what you know for sure is that your current breakdown isn't doing the trick.

I have never watched my fat content. Real cheese, real butter, sour cream etc...Of course I don't sit there and chug gallons of lard, either, but thats what has worked for me. I've lost all my excess weight and have been maintaining for a year. I think a little fat in our diet is good for us.

@@Babbs,

As far as diets go, I am much better at eliminating carbs than fat. I feel satisfied all day with little to no carbs and an average fat content- fats from cheese and leaner meats mainly. Its nice to hear that you lost all your weight and are maintaining without going super low on fats. Thanks for your input!

@@PorkChopExpress ,

Thanks fro your thoughts. I will definitely consult with my NUT and see what she says. I have always struggled with maintaining a very low fat diet. However, I'll do whatever works best. And I am changing things up a bit, to see what happens!

I suspect your nutritionist will also tell you that fats should be the smallest percentage of your diet, right now. Protein > carbs > fat.

If, however, you wanted to be in ketosis...then you'd want Protein and fat with almost no carbs at all. But it's not all that healthy to stay in ketosis for long periods of time. Some people do that to jump-start their metabolism too, though.

In the end, nobody is going to be able to give you a magic solution to breaking a plateau, though - not your nutritionist, and nobody here. Everybody's body reacts differently to calorie restriction and even the breakdown of your macros. To some extent, you'll have to try different things. But I would first try restricting fats and boosting carbs a little bit, personally...because what you know for sure is that your current breakdown isn't doing the trick.

Edited by The New Kel