Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I still love food but I look at it much differently than from before. I went to Wendy's yesterday and the menu didn't quite look the same. I saw carb, carb, hell no!, carb, maybe if I changed that... Foods got us all here one way or another and my choices dictate my success.

No I don't miss the way I used to eat at all!!! Like others have said I still eat.....but I don't eat the amount I used to....and it does sometimes give me a little sickening feeling when I pay too much attention to the amount other people are eating.

I really love the fact that I am completely satisfied with just very small portions. The one thing it has brought to the forefront for me is I don't waist any stomach space with things that are not delicious!!! I'm pretty picky about what I put in my mouth and enjoy savoring every little bite! My requirement is that it's healthy and yummy!

Edited by kmorri

@@KaiserKid

Congratulations, you finally are getting there after a long wait! Woohoo!

I missed food during my liquid stage, I was always hungry then and had bad reflux which made my hunger worse, even on a PPI. Changed to a different PPI, that worked for me.

Purees were better for me.

Then Soft/Mushies and finally Solids. I did not miss food then, I was happy with small portions and much smaller grocery bills.

Months 3-5 I lost my appetite and didn't miss anything.

Months 6-7 appetite came back, hunger came back, drats. Still measuring my portions, still avoid foods that made me ill, still eat slowly ..... I slimed for the first time in month 8, as I ate too fast! Not a nice experience.

I diligently followed my surgeon's and dietician's instructions, even though I found the first 2 weeks tough for me, but I did it with gritted teeth and clenched fists, and got through the liquid only phase!

I watched YouTube videos on the surgery, I read and re-read all my instructions.

I was so afraid of causing injury or a leak, that I never tested my sleeve.

Now, if I could just take a tablet or 2 instead of food, I would. Not that interested in it at the moment, but I eat as per my instructions, because I get hungry. My stomach has healed.

Best of Luck to you!!!

I miss the ease of eating whatever everyone else is having. I miss salads. I have lost all interest in food and get no pleasure in eating anything. All carbs are off limits for my sleeve.

I too would just take a pill for nutrition.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I kind of don't miss food. There's something I find really soothing about eating the perfect portion of something kind of boring that's solely there to nourish and fuel me- not to satisfy any cravings or to be delicious. It's rhythmic and routine now and I prefer that structure to the way I used to eat.

That said- plenty of people on here manage to eat great tasting, creative, enjoyable food and still stick to their plan! They probably don't miss food either !

Yes I absolutely do because it has been almost 4 weeks without it! I have a few more days of full liquids then I gonto pureed. I cant wait to just eat a piece of cheese or deli meat!! Sick of sweet liquids!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Did you try putting unflavored Protein powder into broth or strained creamed Soups? That helped me a lot during the liquid phase.
I need to find a good unflavored protein....I tried GENEPRO but I could definitely taste it and it grossed me out!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

The unjury Unflavored and the Isopure Unflavored both worked great for me.

I eat all day every day most days so no I don't miss food at all. I eat it all the time :lol: I eat every 2-3 hours and I intermitten fast 16:8, plenty of food and liquids in my day.

I don't miss eating how I used to because it cost me so much $$$$$$ and other things. Also my tastes are completely different now. I could go to steak and shake and get a milk shake, fries and a burger. There is nothing to stop me, but I am just not interested. I had a steak a few hours ago, and I am completely satisfied.

No food tastes as good as wearing a medium in any store I want.

I eat all day every day most days so no I don't miss food at all. I eat it all the time :lol: I eat every 2-3 hours and I intermitten fast 16:8, plenty of food and liquids in my day.

I don't miss eating how I used to because it cost me so much $$$$$$ and other things. Also my tastes are completely different now. I could go to steak and shake and get a milk shake, fries and a burger. There is nothing to stop me, but I am just not interested. I had a steak a few hours ago, and I am completely satisfied.

No food tastes as good as wearing a medium in any store I want.

Wow! I couldn't eat a steak or a burger if I tried. Certainly couldn't eat the bun, lettuce etc. Or fries. Definitely not a milkshake.

And I can't eat more than two small, very small meals a day and fluids the rest of the time.

My sleeve simply won't let me.

@@GinaCampbell

I'm over a year out. I could eat whatever I wanted.

Nothing stops me but me. It might take me hours to eat a burger (haven't tried it with a bun) but physically I know I could. Especially if I was washing it all down with a shake. The shake would just push it all through.

Once you are healed it is easy to eat around your sleeve. You are the person with the bad recovery and you are not even fully healed, so you don't know what it is like to have a normal fully healed sleeve yet.

Nothing will stop you but the desire not to do it.

So people need to stop focusing on what they can't do in the short term and what they will miss and concentrate on changing their relationship with food and eating.

Restriction will only save you for so long. Eventually your brain and will power are the only thing standing between you and regain. Learning to eat properly and enjoy healthy foods is the opportunity that surgery gives you. Following your eating plan step by step and slowly relearning how to eat and doing it with healthy items resets your brain and tastes. Too many people squander that chance with the "eat the same but smaller portions" mentality. Then when they are healed and can eat more, they start gaining.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

You will miss it at first especially while transitioning through the different phases of your diet post op. It will be short lived-- at least it was for me especially once I realized how little I could actually eat-- it kind of took the thrill out of it. Now at over 60lbs down I feel great-- I look great-- I don't care to look back. I eat out of necessity now and I don't spend so much time thinking about it. As long as it has Protein or it is a fruit or vegetable I'm good to go. Now last month-- there was a similar thread and I talked about how much I miss breads etc but now that I've hit onederland and I'm seeing this major change in my bodyform-- I'm over it!!!!!! Eat to live!!!

5 weeks out and still miss food!!

I'm 5 weeks out and I don't miss eating food like I did pre-surg at all. I don't even really like eating any foods at this stage, because I'm still healing and its usually uncomfortable. Looking forward to when I can eat 3 oz and not feel bad.

I'm 5 weeks out and I don't miss eating food like I did pre-surg at all. I don't even really like eating any foods at this stage, because I'm still healing and its usually uncomfortable. Looking forward to when I can eat 3 oz and not feel bad.

I should reiterate. I miss the thought of food but eating it makes me want to hurl. I hate eating and drinking at this point. The only thing I want to eat are babybels.

@@GinaCampbell

Nothing stops me but me. It might take me hours to eat a burger (haven't tried it with a bun) but physically I know I could. Especially if I was washing it all down with a shake. The shake would just push it all through.

Once you are healed it is easy to eat around your sleeve. You are the person with the bad recovery and you are not even fully healed, so you don't know what it is like to have a normal fully healed sleeve yet.

So people need to stop focusing on what they can't do in the short term and what they will miss and concentrate on changing their relationship with food and eating.

Restriction will only save you for so long. Eventually your brain and will power are the only thing standing between you and regain. Learning to eat properly and enjoy healthy foods is the opportunity that surgery gives you. Following your eating plan step by step and slowly relearning how to eat and doing it with healthy items resets your brain and tastes. Too many people squander that chance with the "eat the same but smaller portions" mentality. Then when they are healed and can eat more, they start gaining.

I did have post op complications. I am six months out now and my surgeon tells me that my stomach was healed months ago (which I doubt).

I am cleared to eat anything I want and am only expected to try to eat as much Protein as I can because I have struggled to find one that works for me.

I am always surprised at what people try to eat.

I suppose I could eat tiny amounts of food all day but why would I? It's not only restriction that stops me, it's the feeling of a food in my sleeve or if I feel dizzy after I eat it.

If I really miss something, I do taste it. It usually doesn't taste the same or feel right so I can pass it by and stop missing it.

I wish I could eat healthy foods! I miss salads and Protein.< /p>

Maybe a year out is the magic number.

@@GinaCampbell

I did have post op complications. I am six months out now and my surgeon tells me that my stomach was healed months ago (which I doubt).

I am cleared to eat anything I want and am only expected to try to eat as much protein as I can because I have struggled to find one that works for me.

I am always surprised at what people try to eat.

I suppose I could eat tiny amounts of food all day but why would I? It's not only restriction that stops me, it's the feeling of a food in my sleeve or if I feel dizzy after I eat it.

If I really miss something, I do taste it. It usually doesn't taste the same or feel right so I can pass it by and stop missing it.

I wish I could eat healthy foods! I miss salads and protein.

Maybe a year out is the magic number.

@@GinaCampbell

I felt a difference at 6 months, and I know I was healed then, but my capacity at 6 months vs a year is about double on dense Protein.