Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgery is November 21st and my fiance and I were sorting through our closet last night and she was telling me to get rid of all the summer clothes, I seriously started to freak out because I guess I am afraid that I will still need them. Kohls had a sale last weekend and I found 2 size 14 jeans that were only 3 bucks, my fiance told me to get them. I am in a size 18 now, but even then I was scared to get them because I am scared that I will still need my 18's. Needless to say she convinced me to get them and I am happy. But how do you all deal with clothes, do you wait until you're out of that size for good before you throw away, have you bought clothes that you will fit in the future, or do you still feel like you will need your same size? Hopefully I explained it right but hopefully you get what I am saying. Lol

Sent from my 0PM92 using the BariatricPal App

@@hudjess Buying pants for $3 seems like a no brainer. I started to store my summer clothes with the same fears - what if... I went through my closets right before surgery and got rid of a ton of winter clothes that damn well better not ever fit again. I kept some that I can get away with wearing for a little while but most was given away. I haven't bought any new - other than a few jeans I scored at Salvation Army. Don't get alot - you may skip sizes.

I waited to get rid of stuff. ..but I've been going down a size every 4-6 weeks, so it's not a long wait.

I did buy a few things in smaller sizes because of insane sales. But for the most part, I've ended up going to my favorite thrift store about once a week to supplement my wardrobe.

I'm not the kind of person who wears the giant clothes until they fall off. Buying the smaller sizes gives me such a boost, and looking good really keeps me on track.

That having been said, you don't need the summer clothes, but I'd hold on to them until after surgery. It's not unheard of four things to come up at the last minute.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I get what ur saying..but just slow get rid of them as u progress. And try not to buy alot when u do start lose cause u won't be in that size for long???? u know just get a few items at a time. And I need to get at least one future item..I think it's one good way to see progress!

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

And you may not lose the way you think you will. I thought my tops would pretty much be okay for quite a while into the process. I was barely a month out when a lot of then started looking ridiculously huge. I've gone down in pant size too but slower than top size.

sent from mobile device

I was just having the same thoughts while cleaning my closet... So I just bagged up the summer cloths and I'll donate them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the BariatricPal App

I had a couple crates of stuff that had gotten way too small for me over the years. I waited until I had hit a couple of new belt loops on my belt and noticed my t-shirts were getting pretty big, and dug into them (this was about two weeks ago). I found that about half of the stuff fit me perfectly. So I took the "big" clothes and donated them, and started wearing the stuff I'd pulled out of storage. I think in about a month or so, I'll be getting into the rest of the stuff that didn't fit and doing it again.

After that, I'm going to have to wait until those clothes are clearly too big and then start looking at Goodwill...because that will mean I'm into 2x territory again, which is a size I haven't been able to wear since I was probably twenty years old.

That's going to be exciting. :)

I had clothing from size 24-14 and after purging everything I did not love I sorted down and by season, still nice we travel a lot and I sometimes need summer cloths in the winter. I plan to donate or toss everything as soon as it's to big.

The size 24's where loose by my surgery day but the 22's were tight. I laundered and boxed all the 24'sc up to donate to "dress for success" this morning.

I have sizes 24-10, and I can't WAIT to donate each size as it gets too large. I have several plus-sized friends who are happy to have the clothes, and I'm thrilled to give them my stuff. I'm only about 6 weeks out and have ditched bags and bags of stuff; coats, summer stuff I'll never wear again, 24s, 22s, 20s, and coming up on some 18s that are vanity sized.

I think a 14 for summer is realistic, and for $3, even if it's not -- or you blow by it, who cares at $3.

It is a little panic-inducing at first, like, am I REALLY never going to need these clothes again? Really?

I had surgery 8/23 and had lost about 20 pounds from my high weight to surgery day. So stuff was getting big. As I have "outgrown" clothes, I have put them immediately into a bag for Salvation Army or consignment, as appropriate. I was buying stuff on sale, as I had a closet that ranged from 20-10, but a few years ago I tossed most of my 14s. Yesterday I bought three pairs of pants at Kohls because my pants were all falling off -- I needed something to wear to work. I'm 12 weeks out and down 60 pounds from my high weight. (59 and change, but at this point, I'm calling it 60). The three pairs of pants I just bought will likely fit my 17 year old daughter, so I don't feel bad about paying "real" money for them rather than bargains. I've kept a lot of my summer dresses because they were loose and flowy and I think they'll be OK, but if not, I'll just toss them in the spring. Toss them once they are too big. You are never going back there.

Get the jeans. for the first time ever I'm ditching the stuff that is plus size (unless it is a piece I'm in love with, in which case I'll get them altered. I'm lucky because I pretty much have a wardrobe from size 8-18. so I will always have sizes to drop into. I'm one of those people who drops pants sizes slowly but shirt sizes quickly. so was a challenge to figure out what sizes to pack together as I was sorting through my wardrobe.

I still have some of my old clothes. I am a size 28 right now and I have 2 pairs of 26 and 2 pairs of 24 and an 18. I am sure ill need and go through clothes often. I plan to donate them to the surgeons office. She has a closet where if you are in the office and you go down a size you can just grab something from there. Which is pretty cool, imo.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Well being from Miami my whole life my "summer wardrobe" is used year round. My surgery date is in four days so I think on Saturday I will organize my closet and sort everything by size. Once things fit too loose I'll probably store them for a while until I'm ready to say goodbye.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am in the middle of a room reno and I keep looking at all my summer stuff. Will I really be that much smaller by then?