Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong?!?

Today it will be one month since I was banded and I feel like a failure. 10 days post op I had dropped 5.6kgs (12lbs) and today my 'official' one month weigh in I am only 4.5kgs (9lbs) lighter. I keep reading these amazing posts about people losing so much weight in their first month and I feel like I am going to fail with the band as I did with every other bloody diet I have done. What is wrong with me?!?!?! I have been on solids (with drs blessing) since week three and I am not able to have my first fill till Oct 1 and right now I am too ashamed of doing so badly that I am contemplating not taking the appointment. He was disappointed in me for not losing on my pre-diet now what will he think?!

:o

You need to reveiw. You are expected to lose 1-2 lb per week...you are above that for one month. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Neef

Im sorry to hear you are so bummed but the truth is that the Dr works for YOU and he/she should not judge you and probably doesnt as harshly as you think. So dont sabotage yourself by missing your fill appt. Getting adjustments is going to help you to continue to lose, missing the appts are going to hinder it.

I think you have to take your total weigh loss into account 21lbs in 1 month. That is awesome! Your progress is great dont get discouraged. Im getting banded on sept 25th and I hope I lose 20lbs in the first month!

If you are still unhappy try logging what you are eating and stay on top of what you are drinking. Staying hydrated will keep you from retaining Water and getting false readouts on your scale.

good luck!!!!

Hey Beka,

Look at me, I've only lost 18lbs in almost 3months. My first 6lbs I lost post op, my 1 month visit I was still at the 6lbs. I started recording all my food and exercise on myfooddiary.com and now have a better understanding where the calories are coming from. I go for my second fill this week and hope to get at least a smile from my doctor. But the way I see it, if Im not gaining I'm happy. Give it time and you will see.

Beka,

sorry you are so frustrated. :)

please try not to be so hard on yourself and remember this time is for healing and making sure that band is anchored well into your stomach. take care, follow your doctor's orders regarding post op, get a fill when you can and when you need one and you should do great.

i know it is very frustrating not seeing the pounds come off, but they will. you didnt gain the weight overnight, you cant reasonably expect it to come off overnight.

come back here and vent and read and remember that no one is alike.

you may also want to search about "Bandster Hell" on this site, there is lots of info there.

good luck!

Beka,

As someone else said, healthy and standard weight loss with the band is 1-2 lbs per week. It seems slow, but it adds up. The worst part of banding is that first few weeks when your post op, trying to understand what you've done and what you're supposed to be doing. It's this learning period when you have to pay attention to your body and learn to read it's signals. When are you really hungry versus when do you think you're hungry, etc, etc. You want the weight to fall off, it doesn't always. This is commonly referred to as "Bandster Hell."

Remember that once you begin solid foods, your body will often stop losing weight and in fact, gain a few pounds because it literally holds onto the bulk of the solids in your intestines. It's not a true weight gain, it's the way our digestive system works. When you're on liquids or even very soft foods, there's not enough bulk in that food and it literally goes right through you.

Be patient with yourself and your body and don't miss your appointments. Follow your doctor's orders, he understands this process better than you do at this point and is there to help guide your journey.

If you REALLY feel like you're not on track, log your intake and make a note of your output. Make sure you're getting enough Protein and calories. Inadequate caloric intake will actually sabotage your weight loss by slowing your metabolism even more.

Good Luck,

If you are only 1 month out and have lost 9 lbs then you are an average loser. Don't expect more than 1-2 lbs per week. YOu may set yourself up for failure. Good luck.

Today it will be one month since I was banded and I feel like a failure. 10 days post op I had dropped 5.6kgs (12lbs) and today my 'official' one month weigh in I am only 4.5kgs (9lbs) lighter. I keep reading these amazing posts about people losing so much weight in their first month and I feel like I am going to fail with the band as I did with every other bloody diet I have done. What is wrong with me?!?!?! I have been on solids (with drs blessing) since week three and I am not able to have my first fill till Oct 1 and right now I am too ashamed of doing so badly that I am contemplating not taking the appointment. He was disappointed in me for not losing on my pre-diet now what will he think?!

:)

Let me start by saying at one month post op, it is way too soon to be declaring failure.

And if you are failing with 5.2kg lost in the first month, I must have failed too. Because I lost only a touch more than than that in my first month. It was only after my first fill that the loss really started happening.

Take the appointment. Get the fill. Work on your eating and exercise. Enjoy your life.

Sam.

I agree it is WAY too soon ot be declaring a failure. I didn't loose that much my first month, and I am not a looser! :) You are building the tools to give you a new life, they don't happen overnight. You are doing great! Keep up the good work!

12 pounds a month for 1 year = 144 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See not bad at all girl, keep it up!

Beka - I feel as you do. I was banded on Aug. 1 and at first I was doing so well - 16lbs. in 3 weeks. Now I feel as though I can eat anything and am scared to go for my first fill on Friday. I know I lost a few more pounds but feel as though I should have lost more. I don't understand why I am eating like a pig ( well not that bad ) but still I still wonder why I keep feeling so hungry all the time. I, too worry that I will fail.

Guys, why are you talking failure after only a month? Honestly what were you expecting? You have both done really well considering you haven't had a fill yet.

Be proud of what you have lost. Don't morn what you think you should have lost.

Sweatpea and all the newbies out there. When you aren't filled it is just like NOT having a band. The average weight loss is only 1-2 lbs a week as well. You are being way to harsh on yourselves. I gained 7 lbs in between my fills when I first started. It is only natural when you go on solid food. It took me about 9 months to finally get good restriction and 5 fills. Take it easy. It will all come.

I hope all is well with the new bandsters. Your weight loss to date is great and is right on target with your band date. Try incorporating some walking, and monitor your food and calorie intake. You two are very close to my weight loss to date and I've been banded for 2 1/2 months but I feel great about my weight loss. I've entered the September to Thanksgiving challenge that losingjusme started along with a lot of other bandmates and it has actually helped me. I'm now incorporating more physical activity even down to washing my car myself. I take chewable vitamins daily and they are increasing my energy a little more each day. Life is good today because of the band. Slow weight loss is great for me because it just means I will keep it off. Be thankful for your band and learn to work with it. Keep up the good work, it all gets better after your fills, it may take one it may take 5 fills but you will lose.

Bandster hell has that name for a reason...life will be much better after your first fill. My dr said to expect hardly any weight loss the first month, but if you do lose, it is just an added bonus....be patient!