Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a RNYer all the way. I chose it for the main reason that I figured I had one shot at this but I was still afraid I would fail!! NOT!!! I also said I will go big or go home. LOL But really I figured the RNy had been around longer and they had a chance to work out more of the bugs. It was the GOLD STANDARD surgery also. It has worked for me. I have lost 124#'s and I did that in 6 months. So I have maintained my weight for 2 and 1/2 years. I did lose 132#'s but both my DR.'s got worried because they thought I was losing muscle, not just the fat. My lowest weight was 117#'s. I had many health problems like Diabetes and I was insulin resistant also. I took 100 units of insulin 2 times a day plus 500mg of Metformin 2 times daily. I took 12 different medications, now I am on four, three of which is less than 1/2 of my blood pressure pills. No more insulin or pills!! Plus my Vitamins. I have OSTEOARTHRITIS, FIBROMYALGIA, and the beginnings of RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS. I am now able to exercise, I walk 4 times a week and walk 4 miles er day. I owe all of my healthiness to my RNY. I did have problems with Strictures (kind of like scar tissue) and needed to have 5 endoscopes with 4 dilations. A pretty quick fix. If you were to ask me if I would do my RNY again, with everything in me my answer would be IN A HEARTBEAT!!!! Good Luck on your Journey!!

Originally I was going to get the sleeve and after meeting the surgeon learned that Gerd can sometimes become very severe after sleeve surgery. In fact, some end up with GERD after never having it before surgery and ultimately end up with a revision to RNY.

After doing some research on RNY and understanding all of the elements I went for it and have not regretted my decision to do so. It is still the gold standard in weight loss surgery. I lost all of my excess weight - 152Lbs.

I had severe gerd and was on max dosages for PPIs everyday. Since the day of my surgery i have not even had a slight case of heartburn. RNY literally cured my gerd, put my diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease into remission. Cleared up my high blood pressure and high cholesterol and cured my sleep apnea. NO MORE BIPAP for me.....

My goal was to get healthy.......I did not have any idea that I would actually get to a normal healthy weight. That was a plus!

Lately, I've been thinking of doing the bypass, but, I have these concerns:

1. I'm scared of having my innard's rerouted,

2. I do have mild case of Gerd, (does eating the right food still give you Gerd? For me, it does.)

3. I have sleep apnea

4. My bmi isn't that high. (The nutritional visits are really helping.)

Not sure how I can make this final decision. Are there any other factor's to consider?

Originally I was going to get the sleeve and after meeting the surgeon learned that Gerd can sometimes become very severe after sleeve surgery. In fact, some end up with GERD after never having it before surgery and ultimately end up with a revision to RNY.

After doing some research on RNY and understanding all of the elements I went for it and have not regretted my decision to do so. It is still the gold standard in weight loss surgery. I lost all of my excess weight - 152Lbs.

I had severe gerd and was on max dosages for PPIs everyday. Since the day of my surgery i have not even had a slight case of heartburn. RNY literally cured my gerd, put my diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease into remission. Cleared up my high blood pressure and high cholesterol and cured my sleep apnea. NO MORE BIPAP for me.....

My goal was to get healthy.......I did not have any idea that I would actually get to a normal healthy weight. That was a plus!

2. I do have mild case of Gerd, (does eating the right food still give you Gerd? For me, it does.)

3. I have sleep apnea

Not sure how I can make this final decision. Are there any other factor's to consider?

the sleep apnea is completely irrelevant when it comes to which surgery you choose

GERD often gets worse with the sleeve. If you have GERD now, even mild, I'd strongly consider the bypass.

I know a lot of people are freaked out about having their intestines re-routed, but to be honest, I don't really think that's any more radical than having 80% of your stomach removed...

high vs low BMI really doesn't matter, either. Most people who have the DS have high BMI's, but with both the sleeve and the bypass, it's a mix - some high, some low

@@teedsg

3. I have sleep apnea

the sleep apnea is completely irrelevant when it comes to which surgery you choose

GERD often gets worse with the sleeve. If you have GERD now, even mild, I'd strongly consider the bypass.

I know a lot of people are freaked out about having their intestines re-routed, but to be honest, I don't really think that's any more radical than having 80% of your stomach removed...

high vs low BMI really doesn't matter, either. Most people who have the DS have high BMI's, but with both the sleeve and the bypass, it's a mix - some high, some low

What she said!!!! This is just me but even having a slight case of GERD would make me choose RNY over Sleeve. The Sleeve can cause people who have never had it to suddenly get it because of the design of the surgery.

RNY cures it and I honestly do not believe rerouting your digestive system is any more aggressive than removing your stomach.

With RNY, it can be reversed. With sleeve, when the rest of your stomach is gone, the only thing that can be done is to convert to RNY.

Does this make sense?

I originally wanted the RNY, but after my bariatric surgeon consulted with my other physicians it was decided that VSG would be best due to a chronic disease requiring anti-inflamatories and other medications. 10 months post op and I don't regret my decision to have VSG. My stomach is still here, just smaller. I love the restriction it provides. I am still alarmed daily by the amount of food I used to eat!

@@teedsg

What she said!!!! This is just me but even having a slight case of GERD would make me choose RNY over Sleeve. The Sleeve can cause people who have never had it to suddenly get it because of the design of the surgery.

3. I have sleep apnea

RNY cures it and I honestly do not believe rerouting your digestive system is any more aggressive than removing your stomach.

With RNY, it can be reversed. With sleeve, when the rest of your stomach is gone, the only thing that can be done is to convert to RNY.

Does this make sense?

Definitely makes sense. Do you know how long they had you in surgery? I'm starting to consider this.

@@teedsg

Less than 2 hours from start to finish. I was shocked at how quickly this surgery can be done.

Best of luck to you!

I'm glad I found this thread. I am just at the beginning of my journey, & have never heard of VSG causing Gastric Reflux. I have that problem now, but when I was thinner I didn't. Since I've gained some weight back, the reflux has come back. I'm wondering if it would still cause reflux.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@teedsg

Less than 2 hours from start to finish. I was shocked at how quickly this surgery can be done.

Wow!

Best of luck to you!

I originally wanted the RNY, but after my bariatric surgeon consulted with my other physicians it was decided that VSG would be best due to a chronic disease requiring anti-inflamatories and other medications. 10 months post op and I don't regret my decision to have VSG. My stomach is still here, just smaller. I love the restriction it provides. I am still alarmed daily by the amount of food I used to eat!

I also had to have VSG because of auto-immune and needing NSAIDs and steroids occasionally. I have had reflux problems in the past, so it was a little concerning, but the benefits for VSG outweighed the risks. So far, with a normal PPI dose, I have not had any reflux problems, thank goodness (and knock on wood).

If I didn't have auto-immune I probably would have chosen bypass because of the reflux, and I have 120-140# to lose with a serious sweet tooth, so dumping syndrome (if I had it) would be more reinforcement for better food choices. Though I had some worries about malabsorption, overall bypass would likely have been a better choice if I didn't have auto-immune.

I'm glad I found this thread. I am just at the beginning of my journey, & have never heard of VSG causing Gastric Reflux. I have that problem now, but when I was thinner I didn't. Since I've gained some weight back, the reflux has come back. I'm wondering if it would still cause reflux.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am 4 years post op and revising due to the gerd and twisted sleeve. It intensified as the years went on but not for everyone

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

I appreciate all the replies. I felt like RNY is the best choice as well and unless convinced otherwise, that's what i will have. But still, it seems like so many more people have chosen the sleeve. But acid reflux is seriously NO JOKE and anything that could make it worse i want to stay far away from.

Thanks everyone!!

If anyone wants to share B&A pictures, i need as much inspiration as i can get!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I chose my sleeve and I still don't regret it even tho I'm converting to bypass Dec 27th because I am not in physical pain everyday and my sleeve is disfigured lol. not at goal yet but still proud of my progress post-137401-14814216551654_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

3. I have sleep apnea

You know Djmohr, I have said they same thing when people get all in a huff about the RNY rerouting their stomach and it being so invasive. I think removing 80% of your stomach is pretty invasive if you ask me. I also feel that each one of us need to really check things out and make sure which WLS is going to be the best one for them. We all have to admit that WLS's have become much more successful since the beginning surgeries were done. But...I also think that the surgery that each of us choose most people are fine with their choices.

I had already had my mind set on the sleeve, but after reading some of these posts I am having second and third thoughts about RNY... I researched the sleeve, not RNY. Guess I have more research to do.

I have indigestion occassionally, I take some tums and it goes away... however from what I am reading, that sympton may or may not go away and could even get worse.

My reason for choosing the sleeve was I dont want to take Vitamins for the rest of my life. I want to stop all meds not continue with vitamins... I am not a pill person, right now I take 4 too many I don't want to sub one for another.

I'm your age too. I chose Rny because I had acid reflux and because Rny is the gold standard. I wanted the dumping aspect as well. I needed to lose about the same amount of weight as you. I've lost 72 lbs since my surgery 4 months ago. I'm about half way to my goal. I have had no complications so far. The best decision I ever made.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App