Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTIONS TO MY SURGEON

Final appt before surgery. Wow how exciting. You will get all his instructions. Try to get plenty rest and be healthy on that table. Good luck!! Have fun during these next few days. Say farwell to your old body and get ready for an amazing journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Ask him about prilosec my md told me it served like antibiotic to my new pouch. I had to take for the first 3 mo post sleeve. He stresses prilosec. No nexium he said......prilosec.

I opened capsule and ate the little sprinkles 4 3 mo

How hard if have problems is it to reach you or your office? How can I be a better Bariatric patient? What do you feel is my best expected result? Do you have any pet peeves post surgery? Mine hates drinking straws. One I know hates whiners.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Mines hate straws, and the Vitamin Patches....lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

How hard if have problems is it to reach you or your office? How can I be a better Bariatric patient? What do you feel is my best expected result? Do you have any pet peeves post surgery? Mine hates drinking straws. One I know hates whiners.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Wonder why he hates straws?
Straws can give alot of patients gas. Youre sucking in air I think is the issue. During the 6 months before surgery, you have to practice your sipping Water, timing your drinking without eating at the sametime, all of those little things. Like im almost 1 month out from surgery on the 4th, and im still not able to get more than 4 to 5 sips in before being full. So you cant gulp yourfluids at first.

I really didnt have alot of questions because i had asked those things on here but he also sat right down and told me the things that i had questions about. Ill go in for my 6wk in 2wks and then i can start back at the gym. Some may have been able to go back sooner, but i had my gallbladder and a huge hernia repaired all at the sametime, so im still in alot of pain and my stomach is just so tight, i cant take in alot of nothing. But ask about what to take to help go to the bathroom. Ive only gone 1x since ive had surgery

I'm excited for you! Think this is a good question.

If you don't know the possible long term difficulties/complications and what you can do to avoid them, ask about it. I suggest this not to scare you. I think these are good to know. Statistically, you probably won't have to deal with them.

There are lots of things that can happen afterwards, like Vitamin deficiencies. Most of the time people are still healthier than without the surgery. A family member of mine that had the surgery has to take massive doses of B12 to keep b12 levels up in the good range. Not a huge thing or enough to stop me from doing the surgery. But for me, knowing possible complications helps me. Probably just a weird me thing though.

Hi shelby's mom, a RNY is Roux En Y (French for "red in there!) gastric bypass. The Y of the word is for the Y-shaped joining of the small intestine to where your stomach used to be after its removed. You'll be left with a small egg-shaped pouch which is effectively your new stomach. Get in everything you'll need BEFORE your surgery - Vitamins, Protein, heat/ice pads etc enough to last for a month at least because you won't want to think about this stuff following surgery. Expect to be slammed psychologically (happens to all of us) but it will pass. The only Protein I like is Herbalife which tastes like a diner milkshake and is probably the worst of the Protein drinks out there but it's all I can keep down. Good luck with the surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ask about complications

Weight loss expected

How many surgeries has she/he done

Hospital stay

Diet pre/post surgery

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

There is a lot of great information on weight loss surgery here - http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Common Questions To Ask Your Bariatric Surgeon Before Having Weight-Loss Surgery

What types of weight-loss operations do you perform? (should be more than one, don't let anyone sell you a particular type of surgery, make sure it suits your lifestyle.)
Which weight-loss surgery procedure is best for me?
How many of each weight-loss surgery procedure have you performed?
Can I be considered a candidate for weight-loss surgery even though I have one or more associated health conditions related to my obesity?
What are the risks involved with weight-loss surgery?
How long will I be in surgery?
What is the length of my hospital stay for my weight-loss surgery procedure?
How long will it be before I can return to pre weight-loss surgery levels of activity? work? driving? exercise and umm other activities?
How will my eating habits change after weight-loss surgery?
What is the typical excess weight loss and improvement of associated health conditions for your other patients?
Do you have patients who are willing to share their weight-loss surgery experiences, both positive and negative? (Check out ObesityHelp reviews)
What information can you give me to help family and friends better understand this surgery?
What type of long-term, aftercare services (such as support groups and counseling) can you provide for me post weight-loss surgery? (This is soooo important, run if they offer nothing)

@@Missbeauty16,

Great idea to brainstorm for questions to ask! You might ask:

-How do I contact you for an urgent question during office hours? How do I contact you for an urgent question during off hours?

-What are your rules about caffeine/alcohol/certain foods (anything that you have concerns about in your post-op life)?

-What are some of the most common mistakes you see your patients make?

-Which support group will I be attending?

-How will you help prepare me for maintenance as I approach goal weight?

-What does the support system look like in terms of a nutritionist and psychologist or counselor?