Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys!

Almost 7 weeks post op vsg, and finally have enough energy to start working out. (I had a 2nd surgery 2 weeks ago). How did you all start? I'm horrible at the gym by myself, but I used to love kick boxing and zumba classes at the Y.

I've looked at 9 rounds, they do a full kickboxing based workout in half an hour. Then of course there's the Y, and just the plain ol gym.

I have NO idea what I'd be doing on exercise machines, with free weights, etc. My husband is Navy so he could show me some but I know the Y has an "extra" option for some time with a personal trainer.

After being out of shape, how did you all start?

I'm a 27yo female, if that makes a difference

I'm 5 weeks out and am starting with a personal trainer tomorrow. She was recommended by a friend, she used to be heavy herself, so understands the mental and physical impact. My consult with her was amazing. I feel like she's a life coach as well as a trainer!

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

I signed up at the YMCA last week. Did the activtrax deal where I met with someone who did a strength test and talked about my goals. It's all handled by the software. Now when I go in, I log in with my phone and it tells me which machines to use, how to set them up, and the number of reps and sets to do. It's not a personal trainer but it gives me direction when I go in and it slowly progresses me. Annnnd the fact that it came with the membership and didn't cost me anything extra was a bonus. So far I've been twice and am planning on going first thing in the morning.

I worked with a trainer, and when she got bumped up to be the manager, she set me up with another trainer. Love 'em both -- the place I go is hospital affiliated and I have the sense that the people who work there are really invested in my health. Doesn't make doing 100 hip lifts easier, but it's nice knowing they care!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I found a trainer that specializes in obese and geriatric patients. She's amazing. She works everyone so hard, but accommodates every person's limitations. I've graduated to her regular boot camp now. See if you have a trainer like that near you.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Hey guys!

Almost 7 weeks post op vsg, and finally have enough energy to start working out. (I had a 2nd surgery 2 weeks ago). How did you all start? I'm horrible at the gym by myself, but I used to love kick boxing and zumba classes at the Y.

I've looked at 9 rounds, they do a full kickboxing based workout in half an hour. Then of course there's the Y, and just the plain ol gym.

I have NO idea what I'd be doing on exercise machines, with free weights, etc. My husband is Navy so he could show me some but I know the Y has an "extra" option for some time with a personal trainer.

My exercise of choice is swimming. Once I was cleared to get in the pool I started with Water aerobics classes and worked back into lap swimming.

I signed up at the YMCA last week. Did the activtrax deal where I met with someone who did a strength test and talked about my goals. It's all handled by the software. Now when I go in, I log in with my phone and it tells me which machines to use, how to set them up, and the number of reps and sets to do. It's not a personal trainer but it gives me direction when I go in and it slowly progresses me. Annnnd the fact that it came with the membership and didn't cost me anything extra was a bonus. So far I've been twice and am planning on going first thing in the morning.

Hmm. I looked at the Y but will look and see if they have that program. Thank you!

Hey guys!

My exercise of choice is swimming. Once I was cleared to get in the pool I started with Water aerobics classes and worked back into lap swimming.
I was a swimmer all through high school and college. I am thinking I'll do the Y since they have trainers and a pool.

If i can ask, what was the second surgery u had to have? Was it related to the first surgery, thats all i wanted to know. Like my girlfriend had her sleeve done 4 months ago and they didnt remove her gallbladder. But 1 month later they had to. I didnt think something like that could change so fast, if there wasnt a reason to remove it in the first place

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

If i can ask, what was the second surgery u had to have? Was it related to the first surgery, thats all i wanted to know. Like my girlfriend had her sleeve done 4 months ago and they didnt remove her gallbladder. But 1 month later they had to. I didnt think something like that could change so fast, if there wasnt a reason to remove it in the first place

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Related-ish. I have endometriosis and the hormone fluctuation caused major problems. So not something common by any means!

I did have my gallbladder out last year before my VSG but it was also unrelated.