Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One more hoop gone through for the December 13 surgery. It was super easy. Glad to have it checked off. I just have a breath test and an ultrasound left.

I'm always curious. What kinds of questions do they ask in the psych eval?

I'm always curious. What kinds of questions do they ask in the psych eval?

Just what I wanted out of the surgery and he basically asked about my family and my job. More like conversation than anything challenging.

It was very casual... Nothing nerve wrecking.

I have mine tomorrow at 3!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Really bummed out!!! I had my evaluation yesterday and according to my answers, she felt I was not a good candidate. I would have to see a different therapist that may approve moving on. I am paying out of pocket, and between the original dr. meet, an endoscopy, the therapist, I am at $1,500 and none of this going towards my surgery (maybe the original dr. consult fee). I am so afraid to go to another therapist, and spend hundreds more and be declined.

I think was really upsets me is, that I don't eat junk food (ice cream, chips, fast food, etc) and her concern is that I would not adhere to the strict eating regimen required. She's was talking about if I binged in the past, I may binge again and it could be dangerous, etc. I know all this, I have been following sleevers since 2012 thinking about this surgery. I have met sleevers that gained all their weight back within 5 years of surgery (and they all passed and got it done---only to gain back with "sweets" as one told me).

Has anyone had to go to a second opinion evaluation?

Really bummed out!!! I had my evaluation yesterday and according to my answers, she felt I was not a good candidate. I would have to see a different therapist that may approve moving on. I am paying out of pocket, and between the original dr. meet, an endoscopy, the therapist, I am at $1,500 and none of this going towards my surgery (maybe the original dr. consult fee). I am so afraid to go to another therapist, and spend hundreds more and be declined.

I think was really upsets me is, that I don't eat junk food (ice cream, chips, fast food, etc) and her concern is that I would not adhere to the strict eating regimen required. She's was talking about if I binged in the past, I may binge again and it could be dangerous, etc. I know all this, I have been following sleevers since 2012 thinking about this surgery. I have met sleevers that gained all their weight back within 5 years of surgery (and they all passed and got it done---only to gain back with "sweets" as one told me).

Has anyone had to go to a second opinion evaluation?

I'm sorry to hear that! What kinds of questions did you get asked? It sounds so different from my own eval. Is the psychiatrist working with a lot of bariatric patients? Just curious if this was something he/she did frequently or if he/she had major concerns about the surgery itself (or opposing it) rather than the patient.

@HRHMKB She actually works at the drs. office so she sees many of the patients. I had scheduled this 6 weeks ago. First I did a True/False 165 questions on the computer. Then she gave me a DASS (Depression Anxiety Stress Scales) which is a 42-item self report instrument for measuring depression, anxiety and tension/stress. Then if that wasn't enough, another form with another like 40-50 questions (this one and the DAAS were like scenarios--- Have you ever been so drunk you passed out? --stuff like that) but not for recently or the past few years, it was ENTIRE LIFE she'd marked.

Like my husband said, I am sure some people lie and mark never. I was way too honest I guess. She was concerned that I would not follow up and do what I am supposed to like follow instructions. I explained how I'd lost 65 lbs over the past 4 years, and that was futile.

I am even considering Mexico now, because I don't want to spend another $250-400 only to be denied. She referred to two others (one is a psychologist and the other is a Licensed Nurse Practioner).

She's been doing it since 2009, and I am sure she'd heard things she'd never heard before. She asked about if ever had sexual abuse, and I'd mentioned being raped like 30 years ago, and she talked about that forever and kept asking about other traumas, etc. I explained I work 7 days a week, own my own biz, don't go out and drink, blah blah.

This is her info on Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/in/dana-manly-35908410 She is an Artist/Consultant/Counselor, not sure how great her counselor skills are (truth be told).

@HRHMKB She actually works at the drs. office so she sees many of the patients. I had scheduled this 6 weeks ago. First I did a True/False 165 questions on the computer. Then she gave me a DASS (Depression Anxiety Stress Scales) which is a 42-item self report instrument for measuring depression, anxiety and tension/stress. Then if that wasn't enough, another form with another like 40-50 questions (this one and the DAAS were like scenarios--- Have you ever been so drunk you passed out? --stuff like that) but not for recently or the past few years, it was ENTIRE LIFE she'd marked.

Like my husband said, I am sure some people lie and mark never. I was way too honest I guess. She was concerned that I would not follow up and do what I am supposed to like follow instructions. I explained how I'd lost 65 lbs over the past 4 years, and that was futile.

I am even considering Mexico now, because I don't want to spend another $250-400 only to be denied. She referred to two others (one is a psychologist and the other is a Licensed Nurse Practioner).

She's been doing it since 2009, and I am sure she'd heard things she'd never heard before. She asked about if ever had sexual abuse, and I'd mentioned being raped like 30 years ago, and she talked about that forever and kept asking about other traumas, etc. I explained I work 7 days a week, own my own biz, don't go out and drink, blah blah.

This is her info on Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/in/dana-manly-35908410 She is an Artist/Consultant/Counselor, not sure how great her counselor skills are (truth be told).

My goodness! That was so much more than I had to do. I literally just talked to the guy. :(

I just did mine yesterday. It was awful. About 2 hours of interview, taking with the guy, him asking about my past (childhood, education, relationships, drugs/alcohol, hospitalizations, eating disorders, diets I've tried, family history, etc, etc) and then another 2 hours doing standardized tests: the MMPI (567 questions) and three other ones (one about values and satisfaction with life, one about eating habits, and one about depression) that had about 50-60 questions between the three.

Basically, I lied and worked to keep my lies consistent. I truly don't think that drug use years ago affects whether I will be a good candidate for surgery at 40 years old. So I told him I had never used drugs, never had any problems with the police. I said I probably drank too much in college, but definitely downplayed the amount of drinking I've done in my life.

I'll find out in 2 weeks if I was convincing!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I just did mine yesterday. It was awful. About 2 hours of interview, taking with the guy, him asking about my past (childhood, education, relationships, drugs/alcohol, hospitalizations, eating disorders, diets I've tried, family history, etc, etc) and then another 2 hours doing standardized tests: the MMPI (567 questions) and three other ones (one about values and satisfaction with life, one about eating habits, and one about depression) that had about 50-60 questions between the three.

Basically, I lied and worked to keep my lies consistent. I truly don't think that drug use years ago affects whether I will be a good candidate for surgery at 40 years old. So I told him I had never used drugs, never had any problems with the police. I said I probably drank too much in college, but definitely downplayed the amount of drinking I've done in my life.

You are making me laugh (thanks for that), my husband said I needed to downplay my whole life....LOL....not just drinking and partying. I should have lied and future reference. So many changes we go thru life, imagine at 56 I would have to worry about my party life in my 20s and 30s....geez, who'd have thunk it!!!! :rolleyes:

You are making me laugh (thanks for that), my husband said I needed to downplay my whole life....LOL....not just drinking and partying. I should have lied and future reference. So many changes we go thru life, imagine at 56 I would have to worry about my party life in my 20s and 30s....geez, who'd have thunk it!!!! :rolleyes:
Right? I do understand that some people don't take the idea of surgery seriously, but I would think they could weed those people out without disqualifying anyone who has anything negative in their past.

If you do decide to try for another psych eval, I would strongly suggest answering the questions as if they were asking about the past 5 years. Maybe I shouldn't be giving advice yet, since I don't even know if I passed yet, but I felt pretty sure that if I talked openly about my past, this guy would not be able to look beyond that.

Good luck!

Most of us have had issues in the past. I was honest and approved. It was recommended I see a therapist for emotional eating - which I got a lot out of. If you have a binge eating disorder - it's best to get some help as this surgery is more mental than physical and can easily trigger previous disorders or result in picking up another addiction. It sounds like the person wasn't all that helpful to resolve any issues she felt you had and instead just denied surgery. Go to someone who can help. It's worth it.