Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!! Totally disappointed!!!

:think I am so frustrated (not to mention disappointed)! The "orginal" plan was to take out some stock money that we have to pay for the lap band. Now, DH want to wait until the 1st of the year for tax reasons (capital gains etc...). I have my consult set up for the 24th and then surgery would be scheduled within the next month. I had my heart (and my mind) set on this. I really, really, really don't want to wait another 4 months. It seems like this band is consuming my every thought!

Does anyone have any convincing arguments that I could plead to my husband now? He is not overweight and just doesn't get it. God bless him. :faint:Anything?

Thanks all!!

Well you are right that if he does not have a weight problem that he does not get it. Try to reason with him that a few dollars saved is not worth compromising you physical and mental health.

good luck...I know how consuming it can be.

Ok, this might be so dumb an idea, but i have been where you have often with my husband, we are extrememly broke all the time, an have months on end where we basically pay only bills and get few other things. SO...my point is, we always make plans to do things in a couple of months, but then some other things come up, and the plans are forgotten or pushed farther away.

If I really really want something, I just don't let up, I find every convincing argument in my favor, and throw it at him. Yeah, it does piss him off time to time, becasue he knows that I know that we can't afford it. BUT he also knows me well enough that if I don't let up, it must be pretty important. And he loves me enough to help find a way. I like to think if my husband an I were rich, we'd never fight, because it seems that's all we ever argue about. Perhaps he has bought something really expensive you didn't want him to, but he worked you over until you gave in? Bring that up. I taught my guy about the band through this website, he was pretty interested when I would read him stuff, it helped me to get him involved. Perhaps you could print out some of the really inspiring stories on here and put them by the john? ;) I can be a Smooth Operator with my husband when I want something, I just have to show him how bad he wants it. Good Luck. I hope I have been helpful a little.

I would ask him to compromise...if he doesn't want to cash in stocks now...then tell him you want to take a short term loan now...then you'll pay it off after Jan 1st. Tell him this means A LOT to you and you're willing to pay interest or capital gain if necessary. He'll still be stuck with Capital Gain NEXT tax season, so what's the difference? This is not a sweater he's saying "wait" on...you have to make it VERY clear that this is VERY important to YOU and that you need his support NOW, whether he 'understands' or not.

Just my .02

Good luck to ya! ;)

Suggest that he talk to his tax adviser NOW, so that he can determine what the actual effects to your return would be. And remember, everything related to the surgery is tax deductible on your schedule A (subject to the 7.5% limitations), so they may counterbalance each other.

I agree. The most compelling argument is that the surgery is tax deductible in most cases.

The other thing to think about is getting one of those financing deals lap band Drs. know about, getting the surgery now, paying 4 months of interest, and paying off the loan after the first of the year.

I think both of you should sit down and figure which scenario helps the most...........

Yep, that's what I did. I always get offers from my credit card companies for 0% for 6 months or whatever....so I called all three of them and explained that I wanted to charge $13000 and what kind of deal could they offer me? I got 0% for 6 months. I was waiting for stock incentive to vest (which it has) and now I'm just waiting for the price to stabilize a bit then I will sell and pay off the loan. All for 0% interest!!! ;)

Sell 1/2 the stock now, and 1/2 in January!!!

I was going to suggest the same as Terry did above!!!

Another thing you could do to help convince him is to go to the Before and Afters and show him where you could bein 4 months---many people are down by even 50 pounds in that length of time. Keeping in mind, the more you have to lose, the faster you will lose it...but 4 months can make a huge change!!!

Good Luck!

Kat