Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

endoscopy this friday

Super nervous. Endoscopy this Friday. I've done all of the pre op must do's and my insurance has approved surgery.. everything is going great. I have lost 50 pounds since starting this journey in June.

I am nervous and don't know what to expect from a endoscopy.. those who've had it already care to share?

My start weight was 321, I'm 274 now, I have 4 pounds to loose before November 14th which is the appointment to read results from endoscopy and blood work and HOPEFULLY I'll get a surgery date before the end of the year!! all of my out of pocket and co pays have been met for the year and I called my insurance and they said if it's done before Jan 1 that insurance will pay 100% everything!! so cross your fingers and toes for me.

Excited to be here to read others going through the same journey as me.

I just had mine monday and the hardest thing was the IV they put me to sleep so I felt no pain woke up felt good no pain maybe the slightest scratchy throat. No worries.

I had to have multiple endoscopies over the past few years owing to a really screwed up pre-surgery condition with my esophagus (hernia, stricture, etc). It's no big deal -- they will sedate you to the point you don't remember anything. (Edited to add: By no big deal, I mean it's not painful. It may be a little irritating at first, but like I said, you won't remember it after.)

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by emardee

Well thats a relief. Though I am a terrible stick. Its hard to get iv's in me. When they did my colonoscopy they poked me 9 times.. Thats usually the number it takes ????

Also @@thenewme2016 -- congrats on the 50lb pre-surgery weight loss. That's a remarkable accomplishment. Here's hoping they hit a good vein right away.

Only thing I remember was having a scratchy throat for about one day. They sedate you so you won't remember any of it and I believe it only takes 10 to 15 minutes to do the procedure.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

Ooh Vita, that sounds awful. I didn't think they did them without sedation.

I was not sedated and cried until it past my throat then it was ok. Wish I was sedated. Congrats on 50 pound weight loss :)

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Wow...Did not know that they performed endoscopy without sedation. I was sedated for mine and no issues after I woke up. It was also a pretty quick procedure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I was not sedated and cried until it past my throat then it was ok. Wish I was sedated. Congrats on 50 pound weight loss :)

Wow...Did not know that they performed endoscopy without sedation. I was sedated for mine and no issues after I woke up. It was also a pretty quick procedure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

It was fast but I was fully awake and scared to death

I will be sedated, I do know that. They said they are putting me "fully asleep."

I'm just a nervous person :(

Worst part for me was the IV start. I'm a tough stick too. Be sure to tell your pre op nurse. Maybe they will start a smaller size....that's what worked for me. Good luck! PS I slept through the whole thing. Didn't even have a sore throat.