Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post-op, so many questions!

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum so hello! :) I'm 21 years old from Toronto, Ontario and I was sleeved on September 19th, 2016. I'm really excited for this journey and to live a healthier and happier life!

I'm 5' 7" and my highest weight ever was 310 pounds. My surgery consult weight was 285, and my surgery weight after the pre-op liquid diet was 265. I'm about a month post op now and sitting around 250.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little bit disappointed about only losing 15 pounds so far. Those 15 pounds came off in the first two weeks and for the past two weeks since then I've lost nothing! The scale doesn't want to move and I'm terrified lol. I had some severe post-op complications including internal bleeding which had me going in for a second emergency surgery about 2 days after I was initially sleeved and I had to have a blood transfusion because I lost about 2 litres of blood. I ended up staying about a week in the hospital and went through some pretty horrible stuff, so I don't want to have gone through all of that for nothing!

I'm worried that perhaps I'm eating too much/not enough or just generally doing everything wrong lol. I'm trying my best to stick to the program but since the scale isn't moving and considering the complications I had I'm starting to get really anxious and worried that I'm failing at this already. For the past 2 weeks I've been on the pureed food diet, but the thought of pureeing meats and vegetables in the blender kind of grosses me out so I've been sticking to other foods approved for this stage according to my hospital's bariatric guide, which says that 3-4 weeks post op aside from pureed foods I can have melba toast, moist fish mashed with a fork, and very soft cheeses. So instead of eating pureed foods I've basically been living off of tuna these past 2 weeks. My fitnesspal profile is here where I've logged my food intake for the past 2 weeks: Vitamins everyday so that hasn't been an issue. In terms of Water intake I am definitely struggling because plain water makes me very nauseous. I'm averaging about 4 cups of water a day right now.

Any suggestions on what I should do to help break this stall or is it inevitable and I just need to ride it out? I'm feeling pretty insecure and scared right now that I'm failing already, especially exacerbated by the fact that my surgeon basically tried to talk me out of getting the sleeve by saying I would only lose about 20-30 pounds and I would eventually be unsuccessful with it and that I was better off with the RNY (yeah, he was not very nice at all!). I stuck with my decision to have the sleeve because I believe it is the right choice for me and I did a lot of research on it, but the discouragement from my surgeon and the fact that I've only lost 15 pounds in a month has gotten me feeling quite anxious. Any advice or just words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much :)

In a nutshell, ride out the stall by sticking with your plan and meeting Protein and Water goals. Your body has been thru a whole lot of extra stuff in addition to the sleeve. The weight will come off over time. I am sorry your surgeon set such a low bar. There are many on here and not on here that get to goal and below by following their plan, keeping moving and letting their body do what it needs to do to take care of itself.

I stalled the first week on purees. Then I cut back on carbs and the weight fell off. I don't think this is necessary, but since it's worked so well for me, I'm sticking with slightly lower carb and my surgeon approves.

You are doing fine. Stalls happen, a lot. They don't mean anything is wrong. I've had...am having one right now. It's been 3days and not even one ounce of change, but all of a sudden it will start dropping. Just stick to the program and it will be ok.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I never puréed anything. I took soft food, refried Beans, anything I could mash with a fork, and moved on without a problem. Wasn't about to eat puréed meatloaf. Low fat chili was my first "food" about six weeks post sleeve, on Christmas Day. It was wonderful. Good luck, I think you had a rough time but things will look up now. Keep us posted!

Almost everyone hits this stall. I lost 17 lbs during my one week pre op diet and one week post op and then I stalled. I'm three weeks out now and haven't lost since that first week. Just make sure you're hitting your Protein and Water goals and watch your carb intake and ride it out! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App