Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr says I won't lose another 100lbs

Hey guys! I had my sleeve done April 20th and had pretty great success so far. I'm down 110 lbs! My surgeon in my pre opp said I'd likely lose around 200 and the online calculator said I'd likely lose 220 with the sleeve. I know those are estimates and it's a lot on what you do, your starting weight, and how your body is and blah blah. I also know the honeymoon period is 6 months to a year.

At my 6 month follow up my surgeon told me I wouldn't likely lose another 100 lbs in the next 6 months and I've gotta tell you, I was kind of devastated. I'm happy with my progress, but I was kind of expecting it to keep going a while longer.

Has anyone had a lot of success with losing the same amount or more in the 6 months AFTER surgery or is this what I can expect and if I want to lose more I have to amp up my workouts?

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Well it probably won't happen in the next 6 months. It is going to take me 18 to 20 months to lose 185-200 pounds. Not 12 months. Once you get that initial large amount off it slows quite a bit. I basically lose 5lbs a month if I am lucky now but I am down 150 in 15 months so that really isn't anything to complain about. Sleevers can take 18 to 24 months to lose all their weight.

You can totally prove him wrong. That might be just the motivation you need.

I lost half my weight at 6 months and the other half by 12 months. It definitely slowed after the first couple of months, but remained as consistent as I did with working my diet and increasing my exercise. I'm now over two years out and keeping off every pound I lost. It's all about what you eat, you know that, so just keep with it.

@ dip712, fantastic start I hope you're still doing well.

I have question. I'm 6 weeks out. I've love 30 lbs & 20.25 inches over all ... Is this good or a bad start

I've lost 33 in 7 weeks and my doc was very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

In the first 6 months I lost 70-ish lbs and my surgeon was thrilled with my progress. He said that I would most likely bottom out at 220. I was hoping for the magical 199 by my 1 year mark, but I fell I a little short of my goal but beat his estimate. At the 1 year mark I had lost another 40 lbs for about a 110 lbs loss.

So while he said you may not lose the same amount of weight in the same amount of time, I am pretty sure that he didn't mean that it will never happen. I ended up bottoming out at 197 lbs. Since then, I have gained back about 10 lbs of what I hope to be lean muscle mass.

Don't focus on the time frame or even the weight. Focus on the lifestyle changes and how you physically feel!