Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moderation. I have sushi maybe once a month. I split a roll with a friend. It's what works for me. Ymmv.

Sent from my SM-N900V using the BariatricPal App

I know it sucks-- my post op guidelines say that I can have rice and pastas etc in limited amounts preferably whole grains. So mentally that means to me that I can have it but I probably shouldn't. I have made things like salmon cut it up and maybe put a 1-2 tablespoons of brown rice in the dish but it was really pointless. I mean mentally it made me feel like I wasn't deprived but I really wasn't doing myself any favors. I've decided while in weight loss mode I will for as long as humanly possible stay away from these types of foods.

Case in point-- Last week I attended a conference. The organization provided lunch. It was Panera bread. your choice of sandwiches ( tuna, turkey, chicken salad, ham etc etc) a bag of chips and a cookie. NOW. They could've put a apple in there or a salad or SOMETHING but I understand most people want the chips and the cookie and the soda. In retrospect, I should have brought my own stuff. Well I ate 1/3 of the turkey sandwich over 30 min which completely filled me up!!!! But then 1 hr later I wanted to finish the rest-- which I never do. But I attributed my desire to finish the sandwich to boredom. So I finished the dumb sandwich and then I started eating the kettle chips but only ate like 5. Put it down for like an hour and I was ready to eat more. So I did finish the chips over time, I finished the other half of the sandwich by dinner and basically What I'm saying is that these foods triggered a pattern of eating that I could Identify with prior to surgery. It started with the sandwich-- which was on whole wheat multigrain bread to begin with. STILL it caused a spike in my blood sugar so when it dropped it was a signal to my body that it was time to eat!!!! Now maybe it would've been ok if I say went to the gym after and spent an hr doing cardio but I didn't and so the next day-- the same thing happened-- you would've thought I learned by now. Needless to say for the rest of the week I was making choices that was not optimal to my weight loss. I was hungry, I was craving foods carbs at that. I hadn't been doing that so I determined the culprit and decided that it's not in my best interest to have things in this food group for awhile.

I still managed to lose 1 lb. But I probably would've lost more and hit my personal goal of making it to onederland on target. Instead I carried on for the rest of the week then started fresh on Monday. I mean Water, and Protein shakes only. I had grilled salmon for dinner and by Tuesday I had dropped another 2 lbs allowing me to hit my target a few days later than planned. Ever since, my hunger has ceased. Cravings have stopped and I'm back to reminding myself to eat.

Part of this journey is trial and error. Learning ourselves, being honest with ourselves and implementing changes that will allow us to be successful long term. Sometimes I think I can do something and then I find out that although I can do it-- it may not necessarily be the best choice. Ultimately I choose to maximize this short window of time to hit my goal weight within a year. In the meanwhile my goal is to develop habits and patterns that will take me well beyond the 1 year surgiversary into lifetime success.

Hopefully your goal is similar. I can't tell you what to do. I can only share my experiences and what I've learned from them. Do speak to your team and discuss your concerns with them.

I know it sucks-- my post op guidelines say that I can have rice and pastas etc in limited amounts preferably whole grains. So mentally that means to me that I can have it but I probably shouldn't. I have made things like salmon cut it up and maybe put a 1-2 tablespoons of brown rice in the dish but it was really pointless. I mean mentally it made me feel like I wasn't deprived but I really wasn't doing myself any favors. I've decided while in weight loss mode I will for as long as humanly possible stay away from these types of foods.

Case in point-- Last week I attended a conference. The organization provided lunch. It was Panera bread. your choice of sandwiches ( tuna, turkey, chicken salad, ham etc etc) a bag of chips and a cookie. NOW. They could've put a apple in there or a salad or SOMETHING but I understand most people want the chips and the cookie and the soda. In retrospect, I should have brought my own stuff. Well I ate 1/3 of the turkey sandwich over 30 min which completely filled me up!!!! But then 1 hr later I wanted to finish the rest-- which I never do. But I attributed my desire to finish the sandwich to boredom. So I finished the dumb sandwich and then I started eating the kettle chips but only ate like 5. Put it down for like an hour and I was ready to eat more. So I did finish the chips over time, I finished the other half of the sandwich by dinner and basically What I'm saying is that these foods triggered a pattern of eating that I could Identify with prior to surgery. It started with the sandwich-- which was on whole wheat multigrain bread to begin with. STILL it caused a spike in my blood sugar so when it dropped it was a signal to my body that it was time to eat!!!! Now maybe it would've been ok if I say went to the gym after and spent an hr doing cardio but I didn't and so the next day-- the same thing happened-- you would've thought I learned by now. Needless to say for the rest of the week I was making choices that was not optimal to my weight loss. I was hungry, I was craving foods carbs at that. I hadn't been doing that so I determined the culprit and decided that it's not in my best interest to have things in this food group for awhile.

I still managed to lose 1 lb. But I probably would've lost more and hit my personal goal of making it to onederland on target. Instead I carried on for the rest of the week then started fresh on Monday. I mean Water, and Protein shakes only. I had grilled salmon for dinner and by Tuesday I had dropped another 2 lbs allowing me to hit my target a few days later than planned. Ever since, my hunger has ceased. Cravings have stopped and I'm back to reminding myself to eat.

Part of this journey is trial and error. Learning ourselves, being honest with ourselves and implementing changes that will allow us to be successful long term. Sometimes I think I can do something and then I find out that although I can do it-- it may not necessarily be the best choice. Ultimately I choose to maximize this short window of time to hit my goal weight within a year. In the meanwhile my goal is to develop habits and patterns that will take me well beyond the 1 year surgiversary into lifetime success.

Hopefully your goal is similar. I can't tell you what to do. I can only share my experiences and what I've learned from them. Do speak to your team and discuss your concerns with them.

Great post!!

Cauliflower fried rice is amazing. My husband and I agree we cant tell a difference and he is super picky!

Sent from my LG-H820 using the BariatricPal App

Thank youfor sharing. I go to my Surgeon Tuesday for my 1 month check up. I'm keeping to my plan except yesterday and so far today. I feel like crappie and not eating much as I should.

I am looking forward to my anniversary getaway with the hubster next week.

Whole foods also has fresh cauliflower already "riced" and it is not pricey.

I cannot have rice now. Or Pasta or bread. Or, I can, it is not advised.

Thank youfor sharing. I go to my Surgeon Tuesday for my 1 month check up. I'm keeping to my plan except yesterday and so far today. I feel like crappie and not eating much as I should.

I am looking forward to my anniversary getaway with the hubster next week.

You'll do great. I think that cauliflower option sounds at least worth trying. I'm going to give it a go myself. Have fun on your getaway!

Trader Joe's sells frozen cauliflower rice for the lazy cooks amongst us (including me, so no judgment).

They also have riced cauliflower and riced broccoli in the produce area.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I loved rice back in my fat days. Now, if I eat more than two small bites, I am extremely uncomfortable and most likely heaving it up about 20 minutes after. Same with Pasta. So no, no rice for me. I still love sushi, I simply ask the sushi chef to make mine without or as a handroll. Kani salad is a favorite of mine, too. It's spicy crab without the carbs.

As far as riced cauliflower? It's excellent when I taste the samples Wegmans cooks up. Not so much when I do. I am going to keep trying, though!!

We bought some of the cauliflower rice at Trader Joe's for my partner to try. We'll see what he thinks of it...

I loved rice back in my fat days. Now, if I eat more than two small bites, I am extremely uncomfortable and most likely heaving it up about 20 minutes after. Same with Pasta. So no, no rice for me. I still love sushi, I simply ask the sushi chef to make mine without or as a handroll. Kani salad is a favorite of mine, too. It's spicy crab without the carbs.

As far as riced cauliflower? It's excellent when I taste the samples Wegmans cooks up. Not so much when I do. I am going to keep trying, though!!

Mmm calamari salad. Can't wait until that day comes - love it!

Cauliflower fried rice is amazing. My husband and I agree we cant tell a difference and he is super picky!

How do you make cauliflower fried rice?

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

http://pin.it/pAPj526 Here is a recipe similar to mine. I just do it by sight and taste! Goodluck! Let me know how yours turns out!