Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ADD and struggles with weight loss...

Just curious for all you ADD/ADHD people out there...do you feel that your ADD symptoms (difficulty with executive functions such as organizing and decision-making skills) were at least a contributing factor to your difficulty with losing/keeping off excess weight? I also have had an under-active thyroid diagnosed as a toddler, so I think that has been another factor with weight loss issues, as well as possibly affecting brain development (thus affecting neurotransmitters causing ADD).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Might be a contributing factor. It's difficult for me to control concentration and ADD people have difficulties with impulse control. I'm not saying it's the reason, I'm suggesting that in some it is part of the problem. Now while I am very high on the ADD scale, that does not mean I am hyper active. I have met very few people who are truely ADHD who are fat. They usually have so much extra energy they burn excessive calories all the time. I read an article about a guy who was 5'10", 290 pounds and a triathlete. The man was a model of control. He didn't waste a movement. No leg fidgets, nothing like that at all. As a result, he conserved energy and stayed fat. So fidget your way to thin? Good book title?

I don't have add it ADHD although I have almost been dx with it twice?? Strange but do having bipolar anyways., I would thing changing things up a lot would help with work outs, seeing a therapist that specializes in it too and making goals.

From what I know about the disorder, I can see how it might contribute to gaining weight and trouble loosing it especially with keeping up with complex diet routines and exercise routines lack of positive stimulation. I dobt know to what degree it would contribute ...I suppose it depends on how your ADHD presents itself etc like my mom has TBI traumatic brain injury that effects her frontal and temporal lobe so executive functioning and impulsivity but she did well with dieting on weight watchers etc when she chooses to

I don't have add it ADHD although I have almost been dx with it twice?? Strange but do having bipolar anyways., I would thing changing things up a lot would help with work outs, seeing a therapist that specializes in it too and making goals.

From what I know about the disorder, I can see how it might contribute to gaining weight and trouble loosing it especially with keeping up with complex diet routines and exercise routines lack of positive stimulation. I dobt know to what degree it would contribute ...I suppose it depends on how your ADHD presents itself etc like my mom has TBI traumatic brain injury that effects her frontal and temporal lobe so executive functioning and impulsivity but she did well with dieting on weight watchers etc when she chooses to

I do have ADD. Weighed 200 when I was diagnosed and started meds. Weighed 250ish when I had to quit meds because of blood pressure. I think it probably contributes to poor impulse control but I can't point to anything else specific that it effects.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

For me, my daily struggles include (but are not limited to) poor planning/organization, time management and impulse control. This pretty much wrecks havoc on any long-term weight loss plan. I HAVE lost weight and I know that the sleeve will help me. I know it will take a lot of mental and emotional effort to make this tool really work. I just found out that my therapist is moving to Las Vegas next week! This Friday is my last session with her! Hopefully, she can suggest another therapist that might work well with me. I KNOW I will need some support in the months to come.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App