Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cincinnati Bandsters

Hi,

I am new to the lapbandtalk website.

I have also seen Dr Kerlakian regarding the band and was very discouraged after talking with him. I have just about changed my mind regarding the wls. I don't understand why Dr Kerlakian and his nurse are so negative about the band.

I am thinking about going to see Dr. Rodriguez at Deaconess Surgical Weight Loss Center, has anyone gone to him?

Julia

I'm glad I'm not the only one discouraged by Dr. Kerlakian. Well, I guess we just have to make the decision for ourselves. Whether or not he like the band, at least I've heard he's a great surgeon. Though if my insurance allowed me to have it done somewhere else, I would definitely have gone elsewhere.:)

This must be a recent feeling for him because he has been nothing but wonderful and supportive to me. I saw him monday for a slight unfil and he listens to me. He asked me how much i wanted taken out because I know my body. He said you look wonderful and your doing great keep up the good work and remember I am here if you need me. I definately love him!!

Christine

I was banded yesterday by Dr Kerlakian and I feel great!! Question though, he used a new band on me called the AP Band (advanced platform). Does any else have this one? I'm thinking I was Dr. Kerlakians's first, but I'll have to ask. Just curious to see what this is all about. Not much info out on it yet!

I don't have a clue what band I have, not sure it would matter to me anyway. It's working and i am happy with that. Dr Kerlakian will let you ave your firt fill in 3 weeks and every 2 weeks after that until you feel restriction. Be your own advocate, only you know how it feels. 1/4 of a cc either way can make a huge difference

Christine

Hey all!

Im new...actually not...been researching this for a year now.

But have finally decided to get this done!

Im still trying to decide on a doc...have it narrowed down to two in the Cincy area.

We have Medical Mutual insurance through Local 392. I hope to make my decision on who I want to do my band if insurance approves. Still would like to know what it would be if they deny and what payments would be.

My bmi is 46.5..so my family doc says. I dont have any real problems which insurance named off....they said....diabetes, hypertension etc. But my family doc said he could put in there that I have PCOS...Ive gained 100lbs in 7 years. My family has a history of diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apena. I know Im bound to get it.

Then recently mom was diagnoised with Alpha 1 Antitripysin and has to have a transplant. Her doc told her that if her children were obese that we have a VERY HIGH chance of getting the same thing and we need to get control of our weight. SO this kicked me into high gear and made me realize this is hte thing to do for me. Needless to say it was the 'icing on the cake'. LOL!

So I went to my doc and he said he would write me a letter. So Im goin to call Monday and tell them I need all my records for when I finally decide on a doc so I can take it with me.

Im just nervous that insurance will deny me since I have no real problems I guess...and IM hoping if they do deny....it would be reasonable payments so I can still get it done. lol

I know...Im so long winded...

So .....whats this about some docs in Cincy not even accepting insurance? That might make my decison for me!

It does take a long time to decide! But once you decide on a dr. it will be much easier! I went to Dr. Trace Curry because he was highly recommended by a friend who had her surgery done by him. I went to the seminar, and decided that he was the right one for me. :wink_smile:

First, check with your insurance to make sure they cover banding. You might also want to ask what the qualifications are in order to be banded. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and a bmi of over 35. I found out before I even started looking for a dr.

Just a thought. :wink2:

Thanks for the reply Jazzy!

I called insurance and they require a BMI of 45 or higher. Which my BMI is 46.5. Also a medical condition. They stated...high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. I asked if PCOS and high cholesterol counted. She said just to submit the form and the medical board reviews it.

Our insurance pays up to 25,000 if accepted.

I also had wondered if in the letter they doc could put how my mom has that liver disease that is hereditary and his advice of losing weight with Lapband for both of her children.

So if I get accepted...I would have to do the 6mth nutritional counseling. Which I have a question about that. You do that to get hte lap band ...but if you lose while doin that...can insurance change their mind and be like.."uh you lost weight...we deny you now"?

Does Curry take insurance patients?

Does any of you know who had to self pay what a monthly payment runs?

Thanks in advanced!

I wish I could answer your questions, but I only know how my specific insurance worked. I do, however, want to wish you good luck on your journey. The band works if you work with it.

Take care.

Before January, Dr. Curry was in network for various insurances. He no longer is. However, they will work with you and your insurance. You will have to pay part upfront and then be reimbursed by your insurance. Depending on how your policy works, that may or may not be a good option for you. He practices at Jewish and Deaconess. See if either of those facilities are in your plan. Dr. Curry is very experienced and his staff are the wonderful. He works with a NP who is is his right hand. He also has a dietitian, and an insurance coordinator, among others. Most of his staff members are bandsters. I find them to be helpful, professional, knowledgeable, caring, respectful, AND they are fun! Talk to them, they'll help you decide what's right for you.

So you are saying that Currys does accept insurance....but it works that you have to pay up front first and then insurance gives it back to you?

I really want to call tomorrow and set up my seminar and an appointment afterwards if I can.

Im so confused! lol

Thanks Elisa for helping!

I don't think you have to pay the entire amount up front. And if you use one of the hospitals you don't have to pay any of that up front, if you insurance is in network with them.

He may already have his own surgical center ready by now, if he does and you use his facility rather than a hospital, your upfront might be higher.