Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clammy and dizzy 3 weeks post op

I did really well today with my eating, or so I thought- Protein Shake, Soup, some yogurt, some hot tea, frankly Water (not all at the same time of course).

At around 6 pm I sat down to help/supervise my 3rd grader with his homework. We needed to go over spelling and vocab words, things like that.

I developed a headache/migraine and took generic sumatriptan to get rid of it. I felt clammy and kind or disoriented and irritable. I had eaten at about 4pm and now at nearly 7pm, am not hungry at all but I will have some "dinner" anyway soon.

I googled symptoms and it sounds like maybe some hypoglycemia. Not sure. My stomach does not hurt at all. No nausea or diahrrea- just the clammy and kind of dizzy feeling.

Anyone else have experience with this? Blah.

That's no fun! Could it be dehydration? How much Fluid have you had today?

Yes, I had it too, early post op: clammy, dizzy, rapid pulse, bit disoriented, headache, and I was told my skin colour was grey ...

It was Dehydration.

I thought the same: hypoglycaemia, even shock ..... but no, it was Dehydration. As I was in a clinic, and barely made it there, the Nurse there recognised it and gave me Hydralyte drink. After 15 mins I was good again, symptoms went away and my skin colour was normal again.

I then bought an electrolyte drink, just in case it happened again.

If you are concerned, please call your surgeon, always.

And please drink more fluids, and buy yourself electrolyte bottled drink or sachets.

Hope you are better and good again soon!

That's no fun! Could it be dehydration? How much Fluid have you had today?

I'm supposed to get at least 48 ounces. Not sure if I got all that in, but I must be close. I'm still on liquids (puréed Soup, Protein shakes, drinks of yogurt, sugar free Popsicles).

Kind of wondering if the sugar in the yogurt was too much for me. ??? From what I have learned sometimes post op, our bodies don't handle sugar as well as before.

The good news is that it was short lived and I feel better now, but I just felt overall yucky when it was happening. I was dripping in a cold, clammy sweat. It sucked!

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your concern/caring!

Yes, I had it too, early post op: clammy, dizzy, rapid pulse, bit disoriented, headache, and I was told my skin colour was grey ...

It was Dehydration.

I thought the same: hypoglycaemia, even shock ..... but no, it was Dehydration. As I was in a clinic, and barely made it there, the Nurse there recognised it and gave me Hydralyte drink. After 15 mins I was good again, symptoms went away and my skin colour was normal again.

I then bought an electrolyte drink, just in case it happened again.

If you are concerned, please call your surgeon, always.

And please drink more fluids, and buy yourself electrolyte bottled drink or sachets.

Hope you are better and good again soon!

Thank you for your reply! You are probably right. I doubt I get enough Water. I am not good about even keeping track but I see now I need to. I try, but I was never good at the 8 cups of Water thing before surgery. I really like smart water. I'm out. Gonna go to grocery store tomorrow and get more.

The good thing is that the whole thing was short lived, but it's so icky when it's happening. Yuck.

I'm not worried enough to call my surgeon because other than this incident and some hunger, which is probably in my head and/or also related to dehydration, I feel pretty good.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it.

@@Browneyedgirl41

Yes, it was a very icky experience, and for me frightening as well because it started while I was in my car, driving.

Lucky it was only a short trip, even so I was thinking of pulling over.

It never happened to me again, as I became very mindful of my Fluid intake, and kept my Electrolyte drink in my fridge.

It is hard to get enough fluids early post op, I had to force myself at times.

Now, 6 months later I can guzzle Water in large quantities, but it took me about 5 months to get there.

Glad you are OK now!

@@Browneyedgirl41

Yes, it was a very icky experience, and for me frightening as well because it started while I was in my car, driving.

Lucky it was only a short trip, even so I was thinking of pulling over.

It never happened to me again, as I became very mindful of my Fluid intake, and kept my Electrolyte drink in my fridge.

It is hard to get enough fluids early post op, I had to force myself at times.

Now, 6 months later I can guzzle Water in large quantities, but it took me about 5 months to get there.

Glad you are OK now!

Thank you so much, OzRoo! This is all such a learning experience and takes a lot to get used to. Good to know I will be able to drink more eventually. I was worried about going to Zumba class in the future and not being able to chug Water. It's a necessity when you are doing cardio.

Definitely sounds like dehydration. Not sure if you use the app MyFitnessPal or not to track calories, but there's a Water tracker in that app as well.

Also, I would suggest you try some electrolyte enhanced waters. Smartwater, Core Water, Powerade zero throughout the day, or even pedialyte if you find yourself in a situation like this again. Also, fruits and veggies (if you can eat them at your stage) typically have a high water content and help as well.

Best of luck!

Definitely sounds like dehydration. Not sure if you use the app MyFitnessPal or not to track calories, but there's a Water tracker in that app as well.

Also, I would suggest you try some electrolyte enhanced waters. Smartwater, Core Water, Powerade zero throughout the day, or even pedialyte if you find yourself in a situation like this again. Also, fruits and veggies (if you can eat them at your stage) typically have a high water content and help as well.

Best of luck!

Thanks. Smart water is my favorite. I love my fitness pal. Was using it last year while trying to keep track of calories on one my many failed attempts to lose weight. Didn't know there was a water tracker. Good to know!

48 Oz...wow that sounds really low. I was told even right out of surgery to try my best to get at least 64 Oz of Fluid in a day. And your Protein shakes..do not count towards your Fluid intake. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

For right after surgery, it said 48 oz, which is low compared to what I have seen others' plans say. I think maybe they meant 48 oz Water plus all the liquids from Popsicles, broth, etc. I can barely get in that much, let alone 64 oz. I'm just gonna have to keep working on it.

Oh, and I read somewhere that the Protein Shakes and liquids do count as liquid intake, but what do I know? I'm the one getting dizzy spells! There's a lot of conflicting info out there about this, as there is with anything.

I had a couple episodes of that early out too. Definitely dehydration. 48oz should be a bare minimum. Aim for 64. Get there by adding just a couple ounces to what you have been getting and then tomorrow add a couple more and so on. And yes, ALL your liquids count - Protein shakes, broth, sugar free popsicles etc.

It is not a fun experience when you are in it but as soon as you can regularly get in closer to 64oz, those episodes will go away. It does get easier! Hang in there

I had a couple episodes of that early out too. Definitely dehydration. 48oz should be a bare minimum. Aim for 64. Get there by adding just a couple ounces to what you have been getting and then tomorrow add a couple more and so on. And yes, ALL your liquids count - Protein shakes, broth, sugar free popsicles etc.

It is not a fun experience when you are in it but as soon as you can regularly get in closer to 64oz, those episodes will go away. It does get easier! Hang in there

Went to the store this morning and got more smart Water. Thank you! I hope to not have a repeat of what happened yesterday.

I get that feeling when my blood sugar is too low- if I eat something with too much sugar in it or too many carbs at once.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App