Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's done...although with last-minute changes

Finally weighed myself during a visit with my family over the Halloween weekend...what a trip, seeing numbers on there I haven't seen in nearly a decade. I'm averaging five pounds lost per week right now. More shocking to me is that I'm down 60 pounds from my high weight when I started, and I've done that in two months. The best I've ever done on my own is around 55 pounds, over a period of about six months.

I'm now in week 6 and my program has given me free reign to try anything I want to try, of course avoiding sugar and excessive fat intake. Took my wife to a great new steakhouse and it was delicious. Weird to leave such a huge amount of food to be boxed...very weird. But I ate on that meat for three days! Not quite as good reheated, but still very good. Funny how I now feel like I'm getting a lot more value for my money, because it lasts so long :)

My hubby and I both had weight loss surgery this summer. Today we went out to lunch for the first time. Did great following the program...but we were laughing at how much smaller the bill was and how much food we were bringing home...boy, life has changed. It's all good. It was a great lunch. You are doing great...love the posts...good luck on your continued journey!

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

It was a little hard on my wife I think, because we have always ordered the spinach/artichoke dip appetizer whenever we go out and they have it, and we can't really do that anymore...I wouldn't be able to eat anything else! But she said, "At least you can still go out and enjoy stuff like this, even if you can't eat a lot of it." Truer words were never spoken. And the funny side effect of this surgery to me is, I'm enjoying the food a LOT more than I ever did, before. Chewing much longer, lingering on it more, enjoying the flavors more. It's pretty interesting, the effect it's having on me. All positive. But yeah, for me to be boxing up 90% of my meal, while she's boxing up maybe 20% of hers, made her feel a little self-conscious. However, she is planning to have surgery herself over the summer break, so it won't be long before she's experiencing the same stuff I am. That'll make it a lot easier!

My hubby and I both had weight loss surgery this summer. Today we went out to lunch for the first time. Did great following the program...but we were laughing at how much smaller the bill was and how much food we were bringing home...boy, life has changed. It's all good. It was a great lunch. You are doing great...love the posts...good luck on your continued journey!

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Had my first meal out with an old friend today, who was shocked how little I ate. We went to an old favorite Mexican restaurant which serves HUGE portions. The version of me he remembered would have cleaned that entire plate. So when I had a little side plate, eyeballed my portion of Protein and carbs on to it (Al Pastor and refried Beans with just a little spanish rice and guacamole mixed in) he looked at me in shock. I had to explain what happened, six weeks ago.

He said he noticed I looked leaner when he saw me, and congratulated me for starting this journey. Although we've been friends for nearly two decades, he's only ever known me as an obese man who delighted in eating a lot. He was concerned about whether it was mandated or voluntary, I explained it was totally voluntary...I just had a lot of health issues cropping up and when my weight started threatening to crack 400 pounds, I decided it was time to pull the trigger. He was very encouraging though, so that made me feel good. And I still got to enjoy the food, just not a lot of it.

I find that I'm totally okay now with my portion sizes. I don't struggle with the feeling that it's not enough, anymore. I am getting pretty good about putting the right amount on my plate, if I'm not able to measure it out. It's significantly more than it was around three weeks ago, probably twice as much...but still no more than about half a cup in volume, I would guess.

I still feel the best part is that I spent $10 and it will last me three meals, instead of one. That's great.

Edited by PorkChopExpress

Hung out with a friend of mine today and had my first awkward moment, when it comes to food, post-op. He suggested we go hit In-N-Out (a well-known SoCal burger chain, for those not familiar with the place) and I had to explain that I couldn't really eat there. Since I haven't spread it around that I had the sleeve surgery, he was pretty befuddled by that reaction, coming from a guy who would have been all about In-N-Out only a couple of months ago. I had to explain that I'd had the surgery, that I wasn't spreading it around but that I did need to make a healthier choice. We ended up at a Korean BBQ place and we were both happy with that choice.

It officially got weird for me today, I guess. I felt self-conscious that I had to explain it, and that I no longer have the freedoms other "normal" people have, when it comes to food. I cost myself that freedom by being irresponsible about my eating for so long. He didn't react too weirdly to the news that I had surgery, but also seemed to not know exactly WHAT to say about it. "Congratulations" doesn't seem quite right, I'm sure...and "Good for you" also doesn't seem like the right sentiment. So it's weird for others who know me, as well.

Just another new wrinkle in the experience. But it ended well, anyway.

Providence St. Joseph's in Burbank, CA.

Where did you have your surgery?

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

No, I had done all the prerequisites under the Blue Shield program for like a year, and I was paying out of pocket for that policy through the exchange, so I figured I'd better try to get some of my money back out of the insurance company!

I'm looking forward to moving back to my home state of Colorado this weekend. We split the family up about eight months ago, as my wife was able to find teaching work and have help with the kids with my parents, rent-free in my home state. I stayed behind, as I work in the entertainment industry (video editor) and the thought was that I could make more money to help us pay down the debts that way, and come visit regularly. It hasn't worked out that way though, and it's been harder on everyone than expected. So I started putting the word out in the Denver area that I'm coming available, and I've had a few encouraging meetings with local production facilities and boutiques. No job yet, but I will be doing rideshare/delivery driving to bridge the gap. Thank goodness for the "on demand" economy.

It has been a benefit and a difficulty, enduring the recovery from surgery alone. I had my wife here the weekend of surgery and my mom came to help the first week, but since then it's been all me. It's been good, in that my schedule could be much more regimented and I was able to make sure I was getting everything when I needed it, both meals and Vitamins. When I visited them for four days over Halloween weekend, it proved to be WORLDS harder to get everything, there was just too much going on. Plus, I was much more tired than I expected, dealing with our three kids and doing/going/etc... But I'll have a couple more weeks of recovery on me this weekend and I'm feeling pretty good. The Vitamins and mealtimes will just have to become a routine amidst the relative chaos of family life, again.

But I've missed my wife and the kids, and I know they've missed me. So it's going to be good to reunite the family and keep forging ahead with the financial battle, as I fight my fat loss and fitness battle. It's a battle I think my wife expects to join me in, this coming summer. I think it's good that I went first, so I can help and advise with her recovery, and the mental challenges. In the end, the situation should work toward the good.

In some ways, leaving LA behind after building a career here and living here a third of my life is weird, and a little nerve-wracking, not knowing what the future holds...much as I didn't love it here, I'm used to it. But whenever I go visit CO, I feel "at home" and I've never felt that way coming back here. So I'm sure I'll get over it.

Lots of changes in life, this year...and a lot more to come, next year.

I'm just finally getting back online with my PC after over a week...I really had to hit the ground running after the move. I've been driving deliveries for various "on demand" companies (mainly Amazon Flex), as I wait for someone to call about putting me on a freelance editing job somewhere. The lifting and carrying and going up stairs, it's all made me keenly aware of how much muscle mass and strength I've lost since before the surgery. I just feel weak. Fortunately, after about a week or so of it, my body seems to be adapting. So that's good. The change in altitude probably didn't help!

I have been in "try anything" mode, as my surgeon had suggested. I've been trying to avoid fats, and still staying away from sugar...but I did try a slice of pizza during a social outing, something which my gastrointestinal system made very clear the next day was NOT appreciated. I actually like that it did, though - I like having my body give me disincentives to eating poorly. It's a real challenge when you're invited to go out with other couples and it's a place where you really can't eat much of anything on the menu.

I reached the last hole on my belt, and my shorts/pants are now falling down again when I walk. I tried on some pants that we had in storage, and they actually fit around where my waist ACTUALLY is. It feels really, really weird wearing them that way, though...I've spent most of my life wearing them so low, under my gut and fat rolls, that having them up around my belly button is STRANGE. I also feel like it looks weird. It's a bit disappointing, the idea that I would then have to go back all those belt holes to wear my pants correctly...but I suppose I'd better start getting used to it.

Congrats on the losses and being able to reunite with your family. I, too, don't like wearing pants that high. Even when I reached a weight of 240 in 2008, I wore my pants above my hips.

I'm anxious about resuming normal lifting and strenuous activity in a few weeks for the very reasons you cited. Though I wasn't lifting before surgery, it's a little depressing to think my strength and muscle mass will be worse off. Then again, stairs, hard work, etc. will probably be easier since I've lost a good amount since my pre-op diet (currently 42.6 lb.).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I do think that regardless of what we do, we are just going to have to live with a temporary loss of muscle mass until we get close to goal weight. The caloric deficit is just too great, after these surgeries, for a prolonged amount of time. But muscle has memory, so we can get it back!