Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's done...although with last-minute changes

Well, the surgeon had to make the decision to switch me from Roux-en-y to vertical sleeve gastrectomy, but the surgery was done successfully yesterday and I'm at home recouperating now. Still trying to get rid of the last of the very uncomfortable gas, but I feel okay. Not very interested in putting anything in my stomach right now, but I'm trying to get fluids and Protein Shakes down...it's just VERY slow going. I get at most maybe 2oz done per hour right now. As the gas pain and general discomfort subside, I'm sure it'll get easier. Unfortunately, apparently the mesh that a prior surgeon used to repair an umbilical hernia was the wrong type, and resulted in my intestines scarring into the mesh such that he couldn't do anything without risking damage to my intestine, so he made the judgment call. I'm glad for that, I don't want complications if I can help it. It's just a bummer because that's what I've been feeding my brain with for over a year and I haven't really read up on VSG, though I imagine it's going to be much the same, behavior-wise.

Anyway, I'm glad to have it behind me and now I just want to make a full recovery and get on with this business of losing weight and getting fit.

On a side note, my pre-surgery weight was 351.2 - I lost over 35 pounds leading up to surgery. Not bad!

Edited by PorkChopExpress

Congrats on your surgery!!! I think you'll be thrilled with VSG.....I had my surgery on 5/16/16 and could not be happier! It sounds like you're doing good right now....just focus on getting in all your fluids and make sure not to let yourself get dehydrated.

There are lots and lots of great folks here that will be able to answer most of your questions regarding VSG so feel free to ask away!!

Well done, man.

Very well done.

2 oz per hour will get it done.

Heal, rest, walk, repeat.

351.2 - I lost over 35 pounds leading up to surgery.

@@PorkChopExpress

oh noooooo

"Pork Chops" is part of your name LOLOLOLOLOL

hey bud not laughing at you

this is a joke from the other day :lol::D

35 lbs gone already - congrats

keep up the great job

oh no, i just realized i was in the guys room!!!

ooooops, guess i'm stopping by to say hi

back to my room now

kathy

Congrat's on the surgery and entering into this new chapter of your life! Keep us posted on your success and your stalls... yes we have all had them, and more importantly, I think I can speak for everyone here, we are all here to support each other, answer questions, the best we can, and offer our support to each other! Good luck!!!

Welcome to the, "Losers' Bench", Friend.

It must have been quiet an adjustment for you to be expecting one surgery and waking up to another. I give you much credit for the poise and patience that you are exhibiting. congrats.

Questions? Ask away. Be prepared for a vast variety of answers and a whole gambit of opinions---a WHOLE gambit of opinions. :)

No matter what your issue/concern is, I'm confident that there will be someone on BP who has shared the same and will help guide you through it.

Once again, WELCOME.

I look forward to following your joyful journey.

Enjoy the ride. The first two weeks are scary as heck. You don't poop. Things feel different. Heck, you can't eat and your weight doesn't drop. THEN, everything starts moving. And hang on, there is this hormone dump which will rock your world. In about a month, you will feel like a teen again. I'm not kidding. I hope you are in a place to fully take advantage of it, because it will rock your world. You are young enough to ride this out like a wild man, just be emotionally healthy to enjoy it (I did this in my 50's, and single, and it was awesome...I just kept it safe and sane). Don't make ANY major life decisions for at least two months. You just are not in the place to do it. Don't marry, don't buy property, don't change careers. Just walk, respect the sleeve and follow your program. Five weeks from now, you will probably meet someone, your eyes will lock and you will have a memorable moment that you will post about. Just saying. Doubt me? Read this: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219760-sex-oh-my-god-sex/page-22?hl=%2Bsex+%2Bgod#entry4197328

Enjoy

Thanks gang! Each day gets a little easier and I feel a little better, and it is getting easier to get my Water needs met. I did a mile and a half walking today total, and my need for pain medicine is reducing. Feeling decent. I appreciate all the encouragement, I am sure I will be asking questions as the weeks go by...there is so much to this entire process.

Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, had to visit the surgeon today and he had to open up one of the lap incisions and excise a bunch of Fluid buildup due to a seroma. He put me on an antibiotic and left the wound down open to keep draining. Wasn't a terribly pleasant experience but apparently not terribly uncommon and not super serious when treated. I'm supposed to keep working on pushing Fluid out with dressing changes until it resolves. Such a treat.

Thoughts of chewing and eating real food are coming back, though they aren't a preoccupation and I feel fine. I think after three weeks of nothing but bland liquids, I am just craving some actual food that requires chewing. I'm looking into a food processor for pureeing stuff, that should start in a week. Will be interesting to see if I can make things appetizing in pureed form. I really do miss chewing and texture, though.

One week down and things are going well. I have good energy levels, I finally managed to hit 90g of Protein via shakes, pain is almost all gone and wounds are healing. The antibiotics and some unpleasant squeezing have the site with the seroma healing up now, as well. I have a whopping eight scars across my abdomen, evidence of the surgery team discovering my hernia mesh and switching gears, I guess.

My mom (a retired career nurse) has been out here helping me recover, and it has been great not having to think about anything. I love my wife, but she isn't a caretaker in this way. She heads home tomorrow morning and on Monday, I go back to work.

I find that it is easy to identify a lot of my eating triggers now. My mind isn't clouded with hunger. I am really jonesing for carbs, I find. Probably the all Protein, no carb diet I have been on for almost a month. I want crunchy, chewy, tangy and spicy...sweet and sugary aren't registering at all. But as with a couple of days ago, it isn't driving me crazy, I am fine. I am just looking forward to getting some variety, and actual food.

I have gradually upped my walking every day, till I reached 2.5 miles today. Next week, I will start on the elliptical at the gym.

If any of the lifters here can weigh in, if you read this...how long did you wait, before you incorporated weights? I won't start before I feel fully healed, but was four to six weeks post-op good enough?

Hey there @@PorkChopExpress! Congratulations on taking this huge step towards a happier healthier you! I started this at the exact same surgery weight as you and after five months am down 111 pounds. I too had VSG and am very pleased with everything. Stay positive. Keep moving and enjoy your new life!!

It's staggering to think that the best I've ever done with normal diet and exercise is to lose about 50-55lbs in around six months, which was usually where I'd hit a wall and stop losing, and couldn't drop my calories any more because I was starving, and ultimately gave up. You've dropped over twice that much in the same timeframe. It's pretty phenomenal.

I know that it's all just an adjustment, I'm going through a lot of the mental stuff right now, in addition to the eating changes and just behavioral stuff. As prepared as I was, I just don't think you can ever be totally prepared for what all this entails. It's massive change.

Thanks for the encouragement, and congratulations on your weight loss, that's awesome.

Hey there @@PorkChopExpress! Congratulations on taking this huge step towards a happier healthier you! I started this at the exact same surgery weight as you and after five months am down 111 pounds. I too had VSG and am very pleased with everything. Stay positive. Keep moving and enjoy your new life!!

Had my follow-up with the surgeon today, and they advanced me to "mushy foods" which is tremendously exciting after almost four weeks of doing virtually nothing but drinking.

I get to have 1oz of meat, 1 Tbsp of fruit and 1 Tbsp of vegetable, per meal. Apparently, I don't have to puree anything...I just have to chew it to that consistency. They want me starting with ground meat consistency (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, etc...) and then gradually moving into pulled or shredded consistency, before trying whole pieces. They suggested cottage cheese (which I hate), meatballs, thin deli sliced meats, seafood, scrambled eggs and chili. So I went to the store and picked up some small frozen meatballs and various kinds of chili to try out. I also got some squeezable pureed fruit mixture, which I can just squeeze out onto a spoon. Otherwise, I got a small tub of mashed potatoes and a can of green Beans to try. I don't much care for other types of cooked vegetables.

Also started on my Vitamins today, which is good because I have started feeling like I needed the boost. Multivitamin, Iron with Vitamin c, Calcium, B-12 once a week, and Vitamin D (I have a deficiency, according to my bloodwork). I set up alarms on my phone to help remind me to take them, because I'm sure I'll forget.

So three weeks of the mushy foods, gradually increasing the difficulty of the meat, and then as of week six I will be able to try anything, and see what works.

I have to say, I actually find that I'm a little scared to eat, now. I just don't want to cause any issues with the sleeve, most definitely don't want to throw up or get sick...and it feels like every new thing I introduce is a potential danger. But at this point, I'm so craving flavors and chewing that I'm willing to risk it! :)

Also down to 341.5 from my surgery date weight of 351.8 (and that wasn't fully clothed), which amounts to 10 pounds in 11 days. Quite a pace.