Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conflicting info!

I do exercise. I strength train 3x a week for 30 minutes and cardio for 20 minutes a day. My carb intake never exceeds 40 grams, but I never get that much in. My diet consists of pretty much all Protein. Yes, I know that the VSG is just a tool, but working out and eating 900 calories a day should yield a weight loss. If I didn't have the surgery and was eating and exercising like this, I would lose weight. So the frustrating part is why not now?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

If you are working out then 900 calories seems really low.

I do exercise. I strength train 3x a week for 30 minutes and cardio for 20 minutes a day. My carb intake never exceeds 40 grams, but I never get that much in. My diet consists of pretty much all Protein. Yes, I know that the VSG is just a tool, but working out and eating 900 calories a day should yield a weight loss. If I didn't have the surgery and was eating and exercising like this, I would lose weight. So the frustrating part is why not now?

Something I've learned from having this surgery is to not expect our bodies to react the way we THINK they should. We've got to be proactive and figure out what will work, and sometimes it's the opposite of what we've been taught our whole lives about dieting. It's really not as simple as calories in/calories out. Our bodies are complex machines, and we've altered our physiology by the surgery, making things even more complicated.

Don't over think things. Experiment and see what works for you. Sometimes there's no right or wrong answers, just what works for YOU.

Like @@Babbs said, you have to experiment with yourself and find what works for you

I have to keep my calories up, or I stall. If I am feeling lazy or just don't feel like eating much and let my calories fall to 1100. I stall out. I have to eat at least 1300, 1500 is best for me to lose. I need over 100g of Protein each day.

I had to work my calories up over time.

You didn't post exactly what you are eating. No amounts, no grams. Are you weighing and measuring your food?

i am new at this but i would shy away from sausage due to fat content and grease...?...interested in your thoughts....

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

@@Hadenough2 I eat sausage, but I just started within the past 2 or 3 months. I had to find a way to increase my calories and I needed the fat and variety in my diet. I lost most of my weight so far just eating fish and seafood but I added pork in because it is economical and adds variety.

I dont really watch my fat intake other than to keep it high enough, and I keep my carbs low. I eat more of a Keto diet, which isn't that common among WLS patients.

So you have to choose for yourself.

@@Hadenough2 I eat a fair amount of sausage. Now I will eat pork sausage in maintenance, but in my weight loss phase I ate turkey, chicken, or poultry sausage.

I had the exact same issues (even though I'm only 2 1/2 months out). My goal was 50 ounces of Water and 50 grams of Protein a day and the scale never moved! As soon as I bumped that up to 60+ a day the scale started moving. Don't worry about calories. Focus on the Water and Protein and things will get going again.

I had the exact same issues (even though I'm only 2 1/2 months out). My goal was 50 ounces of Water and 50 grams of Protein a day and the scale never moved! As soon as I bumped that up to 60+ a day the scale started moving. Don't worry about calories. Focus on the Water and Protein and things will get going again.

Thank you, that's what I'm working on - 60+

I eat mostly meat am just now trying to add in some carbs as I want to maintain... I drink as much as possible and not sure if I get what I am needing but I try really hard to drink enough. Are you weighing your food. I can only eat 4 ounces at a time... So weigh your food based on how much you can eat. I find if I don't get enough sleep ( which is more sleep then average I don't lose) I don't worry much about calories just about Protein and drinking enough... I eat pumpkin seeds as an evening snack or pistachios... as we tend to need a bit of fat as well since most of us are on lean meats stalls are normal and even month long ones can be normal... after weight loss... your body needs some time to catch up.... read the stall link someone posted above it is really helpful...This can work for you... it takes some playing around to find out what works best for you...Are you seeing a nut? If not you really need to be with one that specializes in wls...

So it's been 3 days of upping my calories, Water, and Protein. I've now gained 2 pounds. I'm gaining??? I did this so I would LOSE, not gain :(

@@debd80,

Sorry about the stall. They are so aggravating! It looks like you are eating nothing but Protein and fat; don’t forget that your body needs some carbohydrates, too. I think the general recommendation for four months post-op is around 1,200 calories, so you might want to count up and see how close to that you are getting.

If you are not logging and measuring your food, I would try that, too. It’s easy for bigger portions to sneak in extra calories without even realizing it!

As a general health issue, and possibly helpful for weight loss, would be to drink more Water. The general minimum is 64 ounces, with more needed if you are trying to lose weight, and more needed if you are exercising.

Do you exercise? That can help a little with weight loss, and also make you feel more energetic and confident, and look stronger and more toned.

It’s hard to know since you didn’t post it, but it’s possible your body may be responding to very rapid weight loss earlier. Did you lose a lot of weight in the first 3 months after surgery? Sometimes a plateau is just your body’s way of catching up.

I know it’s frustrating, but hang in there. Just keep doing what you know is right, and keep in mind that “right” includes a range of possibilities. Whether you’re eating 1,000 or 1,500 calories, or getting in 70 or 100 grams of Protein, as long as you are following a strict meal plan that worked for you up until this point, you will eventually start losing weight again. Good luck!

@@debd80 Don't pay any attention to MFP. You should be concerned with Protein and Water. How much Protein are you getting? You definitely need to increase your Water (non-calorie drinks) - that's too low and could stall / stop weight loss. If you're not getting at least 60 gms of protein (maybe even more) -you should increase that as well. You might not be eating enough.

I was told 50 oz was the mark to hit? How much were you told to drink?

64 Oz..minimum a day. And Protein drinks do not count in that number.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

@jamielogical....I never said you have to go to the gym to lose weight! However, if after WLS if candidates are stalling....nutrition alone will never be enough. If you're not building muscle or not burning calories at a metabolic rate, you will stall. The surgeries are only a tool...you have to exercise! BTW...studies have shown those that workout with others in a group or gym setting tend to lose more weight! To each your own...mslogical!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by johnny207

I'm 4 months post VSG. I haven't lost any weight in 1 month. I am going crazy... I know that stalls are common, however I have no idea how much I should be eating. Different surgeons in the same office have given me different ideas of how many calories I should eat. MFP says 1800 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but that doesn't take into account that I had WLS...

Typical Menu:

Breakfast - 1 egg omelet with turkey sausage and cheese

lunch - Leftovers from dinner, usually just some type of Protein

dinner - Protein (chicken tenders, beef roast, shrimp)

I don't snack or eat carbs. And I drink 50 oz of Water daily...

If I get different information all the time, what's a girl to do?

I want to break this stall so bad!

Sometimes you need to confuse your body. Taking in lower calories and low to no carbs makes the body think it's starving and stores the food so to speak. Occasionally it's good to have a day where you eat what you normally wouldn't, like some Pasta or something. It triggers the body to think differently and then the weight lose restarts

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

EEEEK! I definitely wouldn't advise eating pastaa at four months out. Nope.

Like @@Babbs said, you have to experiment with yourself and find what works for you

I have to keep my calories up, or I stall. If I am feeling lazy or just don't feel like eating much and let my calories fall to 1100. I stall out. I have to eat at least 1300, 1500 is best for me to lose. I need over 100g of Protein each day.

I had to work my calories up over time.

You didn't post exactly what you are eating. No amounts, no grams. Are you weighing and measuring your food?

i am new at this but i would shy away from sausage due to fat content and grease...?...interested in your thoughts....

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

I eat high Protein, high fat. It works.

I'm 4 months post VSG. I haven't lost any weight in 1 month. I am going crazy... I know that stalls are common, however I have no idea how much I should be eating. Different surgeons in the same office have given me different ideas of how many calories I should eat. MFP says 1800 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but that doesn't take into account that I had WLS...

Typical Menu:

Breakfast - 1 egg omelet with turkey sausage and cheese

lunch - Leftovers from dinner, usually just some type of Protein

dinner - Protein (chicken tenders, beef roast, shrimp)

I don't snack or eat carbs. And I drink 50 oz of Water daily...

If I get different information all the time, what's a girl to do?

I want to break this stall so bad!

Sometimes you need to confuse your body. Taking in lower calories and low to no carbs makes the body think it's starving and stores the food so to speak. Occasionally it's good to have a day where you eat what you normally wouldn't, like some Pasta or something. It triggers the body to think differently and then the weight lose restarts

EEEEK! I definitely wouldn't advise eating pastaa at four months out. Nope.

I had 2 tablespoons if Pasta directed by my nutritionist. I had not enough calories and food intake and my body was in starvation mode. I'm not suggesting anyone eat anything without consulting their physician. This is what I was instructed to do and it worked well for me