Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Worries About Post-Op

I'm a little less than a week from surgery (9/26) and while anxious but excited I'm worry about post-op pain more than anything. Besides meds, what are some best practices to minimize pain & discomfort?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@ineffably_yb Walking...most of the pain associated with surgery is from the gas they use to expand your abdomen during the operation. Moving around and walking is the best to get rid of that. Some people have very little pain so don't worry about it too much. You will probably be sore - some people sleep upright in a recliner for a while post-op. Just take it easy, take your pain meds as prescribed (don't miss a dose even if you think you feel better - it's difficult to get caught back up once you're in pain). Good luck - I'm a few weeks behind you and can't wait for it to be done!

For me the pain meds caused more pain and discomfort than the actual surgery pain. Post-op just felt like I did 1000 crunches. A few days later the dull ache from the gas hitting my shoulder was the worst.

I have a high pain tolerance but the post-op pain isn't much to worry about in my opinion.

At age 67, my husband and I were sleeved. I took one pain pill at home. I rested, I remember NO lifting, but I was walking slowly, and shopping within a couple days. I do remember the uncomfortable shoulder pain that did not require a pain pill. The fear of the unknown is worse than anything. We did great and never even told my husbands 33 yo son we had surgery. We kept it to ourselves, to this day. It has changed our life tremendously and it will be the best thing you ever do for yourself!

My RNY was the first surgery I ever had in my entire life. And like you I was very concerned about the residual pain. As it turned out all my worries were for nothing. Sometimes I even thought there must be some mistake, maybe they didn't do the surgery after all, because I felt so good.

But the bottom line is all you can really do in preparation is to go in expecting the worst, and hope for the best. I was very lucky and I hope you are too. Good luck!

My husband and I Both had hernias repaired. It is pretty common. My husband has had a second hernia repair outpatient since the sleeve. My sleeve surgery stay was 8 hours outpatient. I honestly felt they might not have sleeved me!

My RNY was the first surgery I ever had in my entire life. And like you I was very concerned about the residual pain. As it turned out all my worries were for nothing. Sometimes I even thought there must be some mistake, maybe they didn't do the surgery after all, because I felt so good.

But the bottom line is all you can really do in preparation is to go in expecting the worst, and hope for the best. I was very lucky and I hope you are too. Good luck!

I hope my experience is the same with my sleeve next Wednesday. A dislocated big left toe is about the worst thing that has ever happened to me medically. I am scared to death of the entire thing. I'm certainly going to go through with it, but the whole thing is freaking me out...

This is all helpful; thank you very much. As the date nears I'm sure I'll have my ups & downs but def feel good about it all right now. Thanks again, and I wish everyone happy health and bright futures!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@ineffably_yb

I have few surgeries under my belt, and the VSG wasn't so bad for pain.

The most noticeable pain I had, was on my left where I had a large drain tube. Not everyone ends up with a drain tube either.

Other incision sites were OK. I had a week's supply of oxycodone, and took it as needed.

I too braced my abdomen when coughing or sneezing.

I felt Water and liquids going down my oesophagus, but it wasn't painful.

I was surprised how quickly I felt better.

This certainly wasn't the most painful surgery for me, I had others lot worse!

Good luck. May everything go well for you :)