Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your "full" feel like?

I'm 5 weeks post op and I'm having a hard time figuring out when I'm full. I know this is normal and that's why they say to measure your food but I'm traveling for work a lot and that's not always realistic. I know everyone is different but wondering if anyone can describe what their full feels like? Does it feel like pre-surgery full? Is it painful? At this point, I don't think I'm eating enough since I'm afraid to overdue it. I'm supposed to transition to "no restrictions" on Thursday which will be interesting. Just curious of others experiences.

similar to before. I find eating slow is best because the feeling is delayed, or used to eat a bit more after the feeling started. I discovered that eating past full is a mistake you will hope, and seriously try not to make again! I felt terrible, my chest, everything up from the belly ached. I burped like crazy for about 30 minutes, and then thought, okay maybe a little liquid, yep threw up the white, tasteless thick foam. I didn't feel good until hours later.If you haven't felt it yet, you can drink Water, until you do, it didn't make me sick, and the sensation went away after 5 minutes. I am 2 months post op, and I can tell you, as you add different foods, be slow, as some will stay in your sleeve longer, and just seem to have no room. I try not to drink again until thfulliness is completely gone. Meassuring gives you a great reference of just how much you will be able to eat, you will learn to eyeball it, but, always best to measure a few times a week, but, you will know when you have become full, just don't let it be too late.

hi there- I'm 9 weeks out and travel frequently for work as well so share the same concern. I've eaten too much twice since getting the sleeve. It was NOT like overeating pre-op for me. If I overate pre-op I would just get that full swollen stomach feeling. Both times post-op I got an uncomfortable feeling in my chest and was immediately exhausted and had to lay down. I fell asleep. I woke up a couple of hours later and tried to sip Water which caused more pain. It took like 6 hours to feel normal which interfered with Water intake and the whole day was thrown off.

They were truly awful experiences for me. And I'm pretty sure it's the difference of 1-2 bites that got me there. I'm extremely cautious now, more so when I'm on the road. Ugh! Never again I hope.

I'm bypass, but the above experiences were mine, as well. Horrid!!

I've learned what that last bite before full feels like, and stop there.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I feel intense pressure/pain. Lots of burping. Takes about an hour for me to feel better. Idk if that's my "full" or from eating too fast. I also start producing a lot of mucus and I feel the need to spit for about 1/2 hour

Also, your "full" and the consequences of it might vary a lot depending on what you are eating. I'm also 5 weeks post op and am supposedly cleared for all foods...but have learned the very uncomfortable way that there are some foods, no matter how soft or carefully prepared or well chewed or slowly eaten, that my sleeve is just NOT ready for yet. It took me three agonizing evenings and a call to a physician friend to understand this: of course my surgeon wants to say (and to believe!) that a month post op I can eat whatever I want, just in smaller portions. The reality, since everyone heals differently, is that I'm just not ready for some foods (in my case animal muscle Protein - beef (including ground); chicken; veal etc)). If you're on the road a lot in these first months I would be mindful of the fact that full and uncomfortable might come about not just from eating too much or too fast, but from eating foods your sleeve can't handle yet.

I wish I had understood this extremely simple principle before I went through agony three times!

Also, your "full" and the consequences of it might vary a lot depending on what you are eating. I'm also 5 weeks post op and am supposedly cleared for all foods...but have learned the very uncomfortable way that there are some foods, no matter how soft or carefully prepared or well chewed or slowly eaten, that my sleeve is just NOT ready for yet. It took me three agonizing evenings and a call to a physician friend to understand this: of course my surgeon wants to say (and to believe!) that a month post op I can eat whatever I want, just in smaller portions. The reality, since everyone heals differently, is that I'm just not ready for some foods (in my case animal muscle Protein - beef (including ground); chicken; veal etc)). If you're on the road a lot in these first months I would be mindful of the fact that full and uncomfortable might come about not just from eating too much or too fast, but from eating foods your sleeve can't handle yet.

I wish I had understood this extremely simple principle before I went through agony three times!

And to add- what works one time might not another- and vice versa. These early months are SO much about learning, experimenting, adjusting...

I don't feel full the same way I did before. I burp and feel nausea and feel like the food is "sitting" in the bottom of my throat and just generally uncomfortable.I try to stop a couple bites before this feeling.

I'm new to this so I eat slow so I can really think about if I am full or not. I have felt liquid want to come up (like it is sitting at the bottom of my throat) and obviously then I know I'm full. Usually, when I feel a good belch coming on, that means I am full. It's horribly unladylike. I hope it gets better!

What a GREAT question!!! I have been struggling with that myself as I am just starting my 5th week post op. I think with me, to put it bluntly...I feel an intense pressure between my boobs. I haven't had the foam, or thrown up...I've done the burping thing, and have felt discomfort, but mostly its a pressure feeling. The big thing i struggle with is...what is truly HUNGER. I feel like i'm hungry A LOT...but I know i'm not and it tends to pass pretty quickly. Is this really thirst? Is it gas? Acid reflux?? It seems like i'm hungry way more often than I should be.

I'm not yet on regular foods - soft stage but still haven't felt that feeling. I have been careful because I don't want to feel it but would really like to know what my limits are. This was a great question. Thanks for asking and I'm interested it what others will post.

If you're taking your time when eating-- you'll get a "feel" for it. So you don't want to be full. Ever. You want to eat to the point of satisfaction. So try to get used to that feeling. Start paying close attention when you eat. When you can be present in that moment Small bites, chew thoroughly and when you start to feel satisfied even if its after 2-3 bites then that's it. You're done. PUT IT DOWN. This is a habit you want to develop asap. I was eating a piece of baked lemon pepper Cod last night. I weighed a 3 oz portion because I wasn't going to eat anything else but that piece of fish. after taking just a few small bites I started to feel satisfied. I was actually mid chew and decided to stop right there and I had only eaten 1 oz! I put it away and when I started to get a little hungry later that evening I went back to it. Still didn't finish it but I was satisfied. Which again-- is the goal.