Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Removal after 12 years. Conversion in Dec.

I am feeling very unhappy. My Lap band is coming out on 9/21 after 12 years. I really loved it after losing 110 lbs. and being thin for 10 years. But I have had complications with pain and GERD for the last 2 years and the band was opened. I have gained all my weight back plus more. The band will be removed. I feel awful after being so fit and healthy for 10 years and having it taken away. I have to wait 3 months for my conversion and my surgeon is not certain if I will have sleeve or bypass. He believes I may have a motility issue. I hear weight loss after conversion is slower. I'm so worried and discouraged. I feel like going through this surgery and then the motility tests and the conversion surgery are going to be very traumatic and take forever. I know I may sound ungrateful but I have been suffering terribly with this quick weight gain in 2 years. The quality of my life has been horrible. I've had two back surgeries and I am on a ton of medication due to being so obese. I guess I am looking for anyone who has been in my position who can help make this psychology easier for me. I just need a pep talk to get me through the rest of this waiting and all the surgeries and pre op testing. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Not sure what to say but I feel your anguish xx hope you can get some answers on here. I only joined last week and it's been a real benefit. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G925I using the BariatricPal App

I am feeling very unhappy. My Lap band is coming out on 9/21 after 12 years. I really loved it after losing 110 lbs. and being thin for 10 years. But I have had complications with pain and GERD for the last 2 years and the band was opened. I have gained all my weight back plus more. The band will be removed. I feel awful after being so fit and healthy for 10 years and having it taken away. I have to wait 3 months for my conversion and my surgeon is not certain if I will have sleeve or bypass. He believes I may have a motility issue. I hear weight loss after conversion is slower. I'm so worried and discouraged. I feel like going through this surgery and then the motility tests and the conversion surgery are going to be very traumatic and take forever. I know I may sound ungrateful but I have been suffering terribly with this quick weight gain in 2 years. The quality of my life has been horrible. I've had two back surgeries and I am on a ton of medication due to being so obese. I guess I am looking for anyone who has been in my position who can help make this psychology easier for me. I just need a pep talk to get me through the rest of this waiting and all the surgeries and pre op testing. Thanks.

With the sleeve you may still have gerd, many people do. RNY eliminates gerd I understand.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I had my lap band for 7 years and felt similar to you. I wrote about it in blog here just recently if you'd like to read it. I was mortified of having it unfilled and removed at first because it served me so well.

I had my revision on Sept. 2, 2016. I was worried about the slower weight loss too but I am delighted with the speed I'm losing, especially because although I had gained some back due to being unfilled, I was still down the majority of my weight loss from my lap band. Think of it this way, if one eats 800 calories, and exercise a bit, they are going to lose weight, no way around that :) . I've lost six lbs a week in my first two weeks, total of 12 lbs. Sending you a *hug*. Hang in there and listen to your doctor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Yeah you do with sleeving that's why my Dr Miller says its R N Y for my royal Rosey-hood. I have both GERD and hiatus hernia now, says they will both be fixed laproscopically, really wouldn't be heartbroken if he ended up with an open incision. Years ago that doctor who removed my gall bladder did a right paramedian instead of a subcostal so I would not ever have a bikini body. I just want to live and live in a bungalow instead of a barn with gabled roof. If I get any bigger they'll paint Chew Mail Pouch on my rump.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Don't be distressed! I had my band removed, hiatal hernia repair & VSG on same day. (I was lucky) I was banded 10 years ago. I lost 100 lbs- had similar issues to you and gained my weight back. I am now 10 weeks post op & have lost 55 lbs. There will be similar feelings to band but there is NO cheating. You can't loosen your band. Also- I truly don't feel hungry. There are some foods I still can't eat & weirdly some taste different. There is a different "sense" of full. You won't feel like food is stuck in your throat. A couple of times- I did feel that "dumping" syndrome. It is not an easy road but I am very happy the weight is coming off again and I feel so much better. Good luck on your journey!!!!

I'm having my lap band removed and VSG done on 9/27. Had band done in 2011 and nothing but problems. Had quite a few slips so they had to remove all Fluid for a few months each time. Hoping dr can perform both not too much scar tissue don't want to go through surgery again. I hope all works out for you.

Had my revision two days ago after being banded for six plus years. I'm glad it's gone-found out after surgery that I actually had a slip and stomach prolapse along with needing a repair to an already repaired hernia.

I just had my band removed today. I was having so many problems with it after six years it had to go. When I had my surgery back then I had wanted a sleeve and now I can finally get one so I'm focusing on the positives. I just have to work really hard at keeping myself in control and not thinking that its now okay to eat anything I want!